2014 NSW Cup Thread

I reckon Vaivai will surprise a few next year if he stays injury free. I honestly thought he was just as good as Sims in NYC, or very close to it anyway.

I reckon Vaivai will surprise a few next year if he stays injury free. I honestly thought he was just as good as Sims in NYC, or very close to it anyway.
Vaivai took a long time to get over injury this year, but I thought he was a bit of an unsung hero in the back end of the season, playing big minutes and putting in some quality work off the bench. He missed the finals and I don't know if he was dropped for Tapine or had an injury, but I think we missed him in the finals.

I see a couple of tweets from MS about some money being put into the NSW Cup and the return of the 3 match home days, where's this news coming from? Sounds great.

I read an article about the admission of a PNG side into the QLD Cup, and at the bottom of the article it said that it has been confirmed that the winners of the Queensland Cup will play against the winners of the NSW Cup in a 'National Championship' game on Grand Final day. I've called for this in the past, and I'm pretty happy about it.

Ben Farrar is a good pick up for the NSW cup squad.
He was a Rosellas junior and played in our 2004 SG Ball winning side alongside Mullo, Snowden, Walsh, Dureau, Paterson etc, and he was actually seen as the best of them and was poached by Parra as an 18 year old when he was already playing reserve grade for us before any of those guys.
Two years ago he went with Scott Dureau to play for Catalans and had a good enough year to get a contract back in the NRL with Manly, but he did his knee almost immediately and has spent the last two year in rehab and reserve grade.
We are a bit short in the backs, so a 75 game NRL player will come in handy.

Did we sign Farrar? I brought it up not long ago that we should, he's a good player and a junior of ours, and only just turned 27. He'll be a good fit for our NSW Cup.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder who's going to play fullback, Sione, Farrar or Mantellato.

Did we sign Farrar? I brought it up not long ago that we should, he's a good player and a junior of ours, and only just turned 27. He'll be a good fit for our NSW Cup.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder who's going to play fullback, Sione, Farrar or Mantellato.
In the Herald today, he is training with the NSW cup squad but hasn't yet signed, but I think he will get a spot if his knee is anywhere near back to 100%.

Well I would happy with Mamo and Sione playing majority of the season in NSW Cup. I think there will be spots opening up for them quite quickly.

That's great news, As tough as they come Ben Cross...

Never took a backward step and will be a great mentor to our younger forwards !! :)

I saw when Ben Cross said he's the new assistant coach on twitter, Cooper Vuna said he'll see him soon! Dun dun dun dunnnn, is the beloved one returning!?

It would be so good to have Vuna back at the club. He'd be an awesome fill-in like Kev was the last few years and if he sticks around, he might be able to get a permanent FG gig when Wayne, Boyd and maybe others leave. I really hope we don't lose Leilua and Gagai though, but it is a possibility.

Holy crap, please come back Vuna! Just that smile he has after he scores a try or makes a good play, used to be one of my favorite Knights players back in the day. Would love to see him run out in the reed and blue, even if its just for our NSW cup team. Wonder how much money he would be on over in Japan?

When Wayne and Boyd leave, as Aidos said, really hope both Gagai and Leilua stay. Hopefully then opening up a FG spot for Vuna, or even open the door back up for Kevie to come back to Newcastle!

I remember Vuna saying he'll only come back to the Knights, no other NRL club when he wanted to come back last year

"There was a time me and my manager were talking about it," (going back the Knights)

"I was missing scoring tries, I was missing my level of playing being up there with the top players.

"Newcastle gave me the opportunity, I would never go to another NRL club other than Newcastle," Vuna said.

"I just love the connections up in Newcastle with Jarrod Mullen and Kurt Gidley, and also my Fijian companion (Akuila Uate) out on the other wing.

Jarrod Mullen pretty much gave me all my tries up there so I wanted to stick up there, he is just a great player.

"And the town, it is one of the best towns I've been to. They look after you real well.

"Wayne Bennett is a great coach, the players he brings in are players you want to play with. If he'd called me to come back I would have gone back to play in Newcastle.

Now being part of the Wallabies, I don't think I'll be going there any time soon. I am trying to get in the green and gold, as soon as I get that I think I'll be staying here a while."

1. Kevin Naiqama
2. Cooper Vuna
3. Dane Gagai
4. Joey Leilua
5. Akuila Uate

Just imagine that though lol

He would've been paid plenty at the Rebels and Japanese Rugby, maybe now he's left the Wallabies and doesn't have that motivation anymore he'll be happy to come back to Newcastle since he obviously loves it there to much. Still, I'm sure there's only a 0.2% chance of that happening

Last edited:
Back