2014 NSW Cup Thread

At least we know why we were going after Quinlan now. We must still be looking to sign a reserve outside back, we have to.

Mantellato ( from what I've heard )... played all of his games at fullback before he came to the knights. Granted - NRL is totally different - but he has proven that he is capable. Give him a crack.

At least we know why we were going after Quinlan now. We must still be looking to sign a reserve outside back, we have to.

I agree, our whole backline is almost gone now... surely we are are going to compensate.

Our wingers in Holden Cup have been shining lights though.

Fullback is by far our main concern. We've lost Kev and Pete, I don't know if Mantellato would still be a good option for fullback now but he's the only one we have at the moment. I don't want Tuha anywhere near our NSW Cup side so Wayne/Stone have gotta do something about it. Hopefully our Holden Cup wingers keep improving especially Mamo, I agree with those saying he's the next McManus. We should be okay at centre, we'll likely have a fair few good options next year.

Problem is you say to someone come and play fullback for the Knights behind Darius Boyd who has played every game in two years (apart from Origin) - that's automatically a turn off.

Unless Wayne's theory is to play Gidley at fullback should Boyd ever go down injured.

At least Kev & Pete can play centre or wing as well.

Current fullbacks off contract:

- Evander Cummins (when Dugan signed he rumoured wanted out of club)
- Ben Farrar
- Clint Greenshields
- Bronx Goodwin
- Nathan Gardner
- Sean Meaney

But how many would sign knowing that they are most likely going to be stuck in NSW Cup?

Let alone that list is depressing.

I'll have a crack at naming a side.
1 Mantellato - very decent fullback - it's his best position
2 Alison - big enough, but needs to work on defense
3 Tahu
4 Elias - needs to bulk up a lot
5 Clacherty - played for NSW and won the Carlsen medal as a centre
6 Randell
7 Rouse
8 Tetevano
9 Waddell
10 Vaivai
11 Newton
12 Jackson Hill
13 Hilder

14 Ben Tupou
15 Redman
16 Steele
17 Dylan Smith if he hangs around - Pakau if he doesn't

Thre or four players from the firstgrade squad as well most weeks - Gower, Roberts, Cuthbo, Faálogo, Clydesdale, are all guys who could play some reserve grade.

I'll have a crack at naming a side.
1 Mantellato - very decent fullback - it's his best position
2 Alison - big enough, but needs to work on defense
3 Tahu
4 Elias - needs to bulk up a lot
5 Clacherty - played for NSW and won the Carlsen medal as a centre
6 Randell
7 Rouse
8 Tetevano
9 Waddell
10 Vaivai
11 Newton
12 Jackson Hill
13 Hilder

14 Ben Tupou
15 Redman
16 Steele
17 Dylan Smith if he hangs around - Pakau if he doesn't

Thre or four players from the firstgrade squad as well most weeks - Gower, Roberts, Cuthbo, Faálogo, Clydesdale, are all guys who could play some reserve grade.

Toka?

Looking at that it makes me feel a bit better about next year. It' sad to see alot of our players leave but they were surplus and it opens up the door for some of our new gen to come through and we're still going to have plenty of first graders in the side and a few that still could re-sign.

Yeah - Toka, Korbin and maybe Filipo are others - I'm sure Stoney will find a few guys from the local comp or trialists too - we have picked up guys like Matellato, Mitch Williams, Ben Tupou etc in the last few years - I say give Simon Williams another run - under a coach like Stone he should fix up the few problems in his game.

- - - Updated - - -

That side looks a lot weaker then the current NSW Cup side.
It looks weaker than the side that played in NSW cup last week - but who knew at the start of this season that Stone would have guys like Tupou, Clacherty, Chanel, VaiVai, Will Smith (or maybe not Will Smith) Dylan Smith, Hartin, Redman, Randell etc all playing well enough to beat the best sides in the NSW cup and match firstgrade experienced players every week..

Right now you wouldn't want to see Jackson Hill or Ben Roose as our gun second rowers, but i'd rate them as good as Vaivai was 12 months ago, and a mile ahead of guys like Clacherty.

forgot about Dobson as well.

I'll have another go

Mantellato
Clacherty
Tahu
Filipo
Pat Mataútia
Randell
Dobson
Toka
Clydsdale
Sims
Tets
Newton
Hilder

Waddell
Redman (lock)
Vaivai
Ben Tupou

Rouse. Roose, Steele. Jackson Hill, Elias, Alison, Shipard, Pakau

Rodney Mason? And Quinn?
Rodney Mason almost made firstgrade last year. I think he would have got a shot ahead of O'Donnell and Rochow if he hadn't picked up yet another injury, but the guy only plays 10 games a year and is only fully match fit for 1 of them, and he has been doing that his whole career so far.
Quinn must retire, surely.

Well I too thought it was obvious that side looks really weak compared to current side but Captain Optimism above me was feeling a bit better after seeing that side posted... :lol:

Obviously it's weaker when your entire backline leaves... Why even post something so blatantly obvious?

Seeing what Holden Cup backs we have coming up makes the loss of all these players a little bit more justifiable, it's good to see what our team for next year will possibly look like even though obviously it's weaker.

Your contribution might be a touch more quality if you stop making sarcastic replies to everything I say that you find so optimistic...

- - - Updated - - -

Is AJ Davis definitely gone? Figured Bennett was a fan. What happened to that West guy, the big 5/8? I thought Randell was better suited at the lock role.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind if we picked up Ben Farrar honestly, for the right price he would slot nicely into the backline.

Yeah I mentioned him before I wouldn't be surprised if we make him an offer. He'd be dirt cheap and would probably be happy playing reserves since that's all he's doing at Manly now, at least he'll be back home and will get a good shot at Origin time. He can play anywhere in the backline which is the exact kind of player we need after losing Kev and Pete.

Back