2013 World Cup Grouping

Discussion in 'Rep Footy' started by NF_47, Dec 2, 2010.

1. NF_47

NF_47 GoHard|GoKnights|GoProud

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...e-world-cup-foes/story-e6frexnr-1225963918561

2. jamesgould

jamesgould Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

Very interesting ... so the Super Pool idea is out the window ... although how Australia and England end up in the same pool if it's fair dinkum is beyond me. It disadvantages NZ because they don't get as tough games in their pool.

I can't help but think 12 teams would have been better than 14. Take the 2008 World Cup teams, and add Lebanon and Wales and you really do have 12 competitive sides.

I personally doubt the Cook Islands will repeat their 2009 heroics of making the Pacific Cup final ... and whoever gets in out of Jamaica, South Africa and the USA are really making up the numbers.

I suppose a South Africa or USA team would be good for spreading the game and hopefully growing the comestic comps in those countries (is there even a South Africa domestic comp?).

3. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

I disagree with your comment on the Cook Islands. In Rugby League 3 i have made a Cook Islands team & i think it looks pretty competitive on a scale of those countries like USA, Jamaica, SA, Lebabon etc. They have some good players in contention like Drury Low, Zane Tetevano, Keith Lulia, Isaac John, Daniel Fepuleai, Aaron Cannings, Alex Glenn, Jonathon Ford, Joseph Leilua, Sam Mataora, Fred Makimare, Dominique Peyroux, Tinirau Arona, Harmony Hunt, Karl Temata, Monikura Tikinau, Brad Takairangi, Sam Bunton, Anthony Gelling (assuming Brunton & Gelling's ban will be over by 2013) plus the chance that Frank Pritchard & Zeb Taia may have fallen out of NZ contention by then so they may want to play for the Cooks.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  4. Matho

Matho EST DENMAN

Boring
    The the Super Pool idea was the worst idea ever when you look at PNG. A team what was way better then Fiji & Ireland but still fail to make it pass the group stage..... What I thought it was Channel nines idea for a super group so they didn't have to air games where Australia would win by a cricket score or big margin.... But the Roos first four games where big margins so it didn't look good until the Kiwis upset the Roos in the final.... Until there is a chance to stop players like Australia & NZL robbing the nations of Tonga, Samoa, Cook Islands & Fiji of there born NR/Super LeagueL stars.... A player should pick a nation at under 20's (toyota cup) grading and they cannot move to a big nation or like FIFA where there is a 5 year cooling off period!!!!

The way this world cup is set up it has got the correct structure where you have two not bad groups of 4 & two groups of three... This is the way for future world cups.....

In qualifying I'd say Russia would be a stand out (that's if Robbie Farrah is banned from playing in the qualifying stage for Lebanon) & United States by a country mile in they other qualifying group.....

5. Matho

Matho EST DENMAN

Boring
    The way the final groups for the 2013 world cup....
    Group A- Australia, England, Fiji, Ireland
    Group B- NZL, PNG, France, Samoa
    Group C- Scotland, Tonga, Italy
    Group D- Wales, Cook Islands, USA

6. Matho

Matho EST DENMAN

Boring
    USA leading into WC2013