2013 Holden Cup U20s Thread

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Lower Grades' started by Billy, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

Round 22:

1. Honeti Tuha
    2. Joshua Birch
    3. James Elias
    4. Sione Mata'utia
    5. Jake Mamo
    6. Tom Rouse
    7. Sam Keenan
    8. Michael Steele
    9. Adam Clydsdale (c)
    10. Dan Kilian
    11. Ben Roose
    12. Joseph Tapine
    13. Joe Boyce

Interchange:

14. Danny Levi
    15. Lachlan Shipard
    16. Jah Pakau
    17. Lachlan Fitzgibbon

2. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

10-4 at halftime to us.
    Funny season. We could actually sneak back into the 8 if saints beat Brisbane.

3. Billy

Can't believe we found a way to lose that. Looks from the updates that the only time in the game that they led was when they kicked a goal after the siren. We led for 80 and still lost.

4. Ms.Nobody

Ms.Nobody Banned

Sharks scored in corner on buzzer and Tuha went into with the knees ala Albert Kelly for Titans on McManus so it was a penalty 8 point try.

Pure dumb from the 20s boys they fell asleep with 15 to go.

5. Joshhh

Round 23:

1. David Oakes

2. Bryce Donovan
    3. Josh Allison
    4. Sione Mata'utia
    5. Jake Mamo
    6. Tom Rouse
    7. Sam Keenan
    8. Michael Steele
    9. Adam Clydsdale (c)
    10. Dan Kilian
    11. James Elias
    12. Joseph Tapine
    13. Luke Yates

Interchange:

14. Danny Levi
    15. Jackson Hill
    16. Jah Pakau
    17. Lachlan Fitzgibbon

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  6. Billy

Good to see Yates finally getting a run, and in his 13 jersey.
    He looks and plays like a young Billy Peden and he is probably our best prospect after Sione Mataútia in that age group.

7. Junior11

Junior11 Moderator Moderator

I wish this game was on TV so I could watch Yates play, huge wraps on him it seems on the Knights website over the year

8. Billy

He probably won't be that impressive at NYC level at 18 years of age because he is a bit small for a forward still, but he is a really hard worker who puts his hand up when others are looking flat - very much like Billy Peden - and he is a small, blond guy like Peden too. Basically an 80 minute tackling and running machine who works harder when others are down.

- - - Updated - - -

Talking of young second rowers, I wonder why Jake Lawrence isn't getting a game?
    He was the youngest forward in our SG Ball winning side a few years ago and he basically played every minute of nearly every game and was just about mistake free. He was also our best in ball last year I thought.
    He is a big unit who plays full games and does everything you would want him to do. He played for Aus at under 16 level and is on a 4 year contract for us, so he is basically a star import for us. I think he would post better numbers than Tapine because he has a high workrate for long minutes and a very low mistake rate.

9. Joel

Joel Touche...

Is Dane's brother Jacob still at Newcastle? I've heard that he's back in Queensland.

10. Nighty

Nighty Greg Smith

. Billy I have been wondering the same thing about Jake Lawrence .Living in the country I don't get to many games now adays but I first saw Jake play as a 12 year old a terrific talent even then and since as you said he captained the sg ball team .I keep watching the team lists but noJake and it's not as if he's trying to get into a gun side is it?In my opinion he would kill it in the 20s comp.He has always played a year or two above his ageeven for the Camden HavenEagles Someone told me thre was a Jake Lawrence playing for South Newcastle in the local comp can anyone tell me is thi the same person and what are the Knights plans for him?

11. Billy

It would be the same guy playing for South Newcastle. I remember he was one of 6 Knights in the NSW origin pathways camp earlier this year and I think he got one game of NYC earlier in the year. Maybe he'll get a run next year.

12. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

I can't wait to see what kind of player Yates is. If he is anything like a young Billy Peden then he will be a star.

13. Billy

Yates had pretty good defensive stats for his first game. Pretty much equaled Elias and Tapine, which is impressive.

- - - Updated - - -

Yates 27 tackles 0 missed
    Tapine 20 tackles 1 missed
    Elias 38 tackles 1 missed

Yates also did 7 hit ups - second most for our forwards behind Kilian. He didn't make great metres, but he's not the sort of player who bends the line much - just a hard worker.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  14. Joshhh

Round 24:

1. Bryce Donovan

2. Josh Birch
    3. James Elias
    4. Sione Mata’utia
    5. Jake Mamo
    6. David Oakes
    7. Tom Rouse
    8. Michael Steele (c)
    9. Daniel Levi
    10. Dan Kilian
    11. Ben Roose
    12. Joseph Tapine
    13. Luke Yates

Interchange:

14. James De Saxe
    15. Jackson Hill
    16. Jah Pakau
    17. Lachlan Fitzgibbon
    18. Joseph Boyce

- - - Updated - - -

Clydsdale has been injured a few times this year now, hope that doesn't come with him into first-grade or we may have to be relying on Waddell even more next year.

15. cowboyman

cowboyman Ben Kennedy

Hospitality
    Form wise this could be a very long night for your U20's side but we all know that form can change in a matter of minutes in this competition. Will be interesting how this game turns out without your number 1 player in Clydesdale.

16. Billy

Very young side with some 17 and 18 year olds in it in guys like Birch, Levi, Yates and Sione.
    Despite that there is some good defence in the second row and centres with Tapine, Roose, Yates, Elias and Sione all being very solid defenders.

I think with his double last week Mamo has gone to equal first or second by one on the tryscorers list for NYC. He has 20 tries in his first year of NYC and if he can equal or better that strike rate next year he will easily go past Chanel as our number one tryscorer in NYC, but he might only hold it for a year if Sione stays fit and isn't promoted to firstgrade in his teens.
    Mamo is a powerful, nuggety guy who is really hard to stop and has a fair amount of speed and some good moves. Reminds me of a young Anthony Quinn.

17. cowboyman

cowboyman Ben Kennedy

Hospitality
    Cowboys come storming home to take it out 30-22.

18. Ms.Nobody

Ms.Nobody Banned

We would have to be the worst Holden Cup team overall since inception.

Made the finals only once and that was 8th, it's appalling.

19. cowboyman

cowboyman Ben Kennedy

Hospitality
    Must be very disappointing from a Knights point of view. Massive junior base that just hasn't delivered for whatever reasons over the duration of NYC. Mind you Parramatta aren't far behind. They have only had one really good side which was the first year it was introduced but they too have been very disappointing.

20. Billy

We have used 43 players so far this year - 30 would be about the usual number - and we now have some 17 and 18 year olds in the team.
    Mid season we went on a winning streak where we beat some of the best sides in the comp, but then we used a bunch of youngsters and started losing again.

I don't think we have been trying to win. I think they have been giving as many players as they could a run to see if they can find some talent. If we wanted to win we'd stick with forwards like Máa and Mason and Warden and we wouldn't have used 8 different halves in the hope of finding a good one.

The sad thing is that this should have been our year. We had the under 18s national champs from 2 years ago ready for their big year in under 20s, and we had only lost one player (Kurt Mann) from that squad, and we seem to have bought literally a dozen good prospects to add to the players we had.

The bright spot of the season is the form of Jake Mamo. He is still a chance to be the highest try scorer for the season and you would think he is a chance at making the team of the year. Imagine how he would have gone in a good team. And he has another year of NYC to go. Sione has also gone really well since making the side, as did Pat before he was injured.