2013 Holden Cup U20s Thread

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Lower Grades' started by Billy, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

1 Khaele Bowen - nephew of Matt Bowen - athletic looking kid
    2 Pat Mataútia
    3 Josh Allison
    4 Lachlan Shipard
    5 Fijian kid
    6 Zac Walsh - 18 year old currently playing firstgrade for Rosellas
    7 Tom Rouse
    8 Jeremy Maa
    9 Adam Clydesdale
    10 Kurt Warden
    11 Anthony Gadd
    12 Jackson Hill
    13 Ben Roose

14 Michael Steele
    15 Jason Savin
    16 Jake Lawrence
    17 Luke Yates

That team can win NYC next year.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  2. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

Toka turns 20 in December so won't be in NYC next year.

3. Billy

Just looked that up - the press releases are calling him 19 years old, so i thought he would be.

He is only a few weeks older than some of our guys who will be available - shame that - he would have been an ace up the sleeve.

4. Junior11

Junior11 Moderator Moderator

Still, what a team! This side is more than capable of making the GF next year. How old Kori Barber anyone know?? And what about Sione, too young still next year? Same for Travis Edwards? We may have John Bateman still too, I haven't heard anything new with him but I hope we're still a chance of bringing him to the club.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  5. Billy

Kori will be too old.
    Sione will be 16, but Tyler Randell played NYC at 16, and Sione is as good as him, or better even. I think Sione will play the Ball season, and then might get some games of NYC.
    Travis Edwards is a skinny kid - I think he will need a few more years for NYC.

Lot's of other kids could get a run, Geordie Connelly, Jack Jones, Jack Laing, the two Fijian kids we have signed for next year, the winger from Moree who has been playing real NRL, the prop from Cessnock who got player of the year in Ball, Nick Ritter, Napoleoan Utai - all guys that are on our books still i think.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot James Elias - he is a player with a massive heart who tackles like a mad thing.
    You have to find a spot for him next year.

6. Junior11

Thanks Billy!

Something I notice too is apart from Bowen and Gadd, they're all Hunter boys aren't they?? Proves we're still one of the best at developing talent, something we've been bagged out for in recent years.

7. Billy

I think we bought Zac Walsh from South Sydney, and he came from the country somewhere before that - but 12 of the 17 were part of last years national title winning under 18s side that was all Hunter apart from Kurt Mann.

8. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

NYC Trials unveil talent

[​IMG]

For the first time in five years the Newcastle Knights have invited prospective 45 players to trial for a spot in the 2012 NYC squad.

Those who were invited to trial included local players, SG Ball squad members from the 2012 season and players from interstate and New Zealand.

The Knights have four or five contracted positions up for grabs and are also looking to establish an under 19’s training squad.

Each player was given 80 minutes to impress and each game was video taped and will be reviewed by the Knights coaching staff.

The staff were thrilled with the amount of talent and will announce the squad this week.

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news-display/NYC-Trials-unveil-talent/64872

9. Junior11

Really looking forward to seeing our squad for next year. God I love our junior development!

10. Billy

An under 19s squad is a big development.
    We have had an under 17s and under 15s for a few years.
    I don't know who they will get games against - thinking about it, they would be better off in the local comp.

11. Billy

No mention of the two young guys we have coming from Fiji.

12. Teesplanet

Teesplanet Dan Tolar

Student
    Thanks Billy really value your posts on the 20s. IMO it appears they loose alot upfront with Sims and Vaivai now unavailable. What are your thoughts?

13. Billy

We have some great options at prop next year. Michael Steele is just about where Sims was 12 months ago, and IMO Jeremy Maá is way ahead of VaiVai at the same age and is a guy who can develop into the next Willie Mason if he does some serious training - hopefully with the firstgrade squad. Anthony Gadd is another guy who could be anything. He is a huge unit with real ball skills. He played second row this year, but I could see him as a ball playing prop. Jason Savin is an impact player who smashed sides in our SG Ball winning side last year. He looks like Paul Gallen - barrell on legs - and even though he only has short minutes in him he carves up.
    Kurt Warden is a guy who the refs hate because he smashes players in defence - reminds me of Kade Snowden.

We basically have the forwards who were brutal in our under 18s national title winners last year - Maá, Savin, Eniliko, Jackson Hill, Ben Roose, Michael Steele - and so far we have added Gadd and Warden and about 3 other Queenslanders - that is the makings of a fearsome pack - guys like Maá. Gadd, Hill etc are all 195cm and 110kg or so.

14. Teesplanet

Teesplanet Dan Tolar

Student
    Love ya work. Thanks again.

15. Billy

Article on the Knights site mentions 4 NYC squad members.
    http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news-display/NYC-players-help-special-needs-kids/64996
    The four they mention are all interesting players who will no doubt play next season.

Pat Mataútia - I've always thought he will be the best of the Mataútia brothers. He will be fullback or wing next year for sure, and if he stays fit he will smash Chanel's 20 try effort this year.

James Elias - I really hope James has had a growth spurt because all he lacks is a bit of size. The best aspect of his play is that he is an absolute terrier in defence. He chases everthing that moves and wrestles the hell out of them when he catches them. If he gets you, you don't get away till after the fight.

Jackson Hill - giant skinny forward who is really awkward to tackle and scores lots of tries because he is so hard to wrap up.

Napoleon Utai - He didn't play any NYC this year and only had about 5 games of Ball last season, but this is one impressive looking winger. He is fast, about 200cm tall, and has good co-ordination. Hopefully he has bulked up a bit without losing much pace. One thing is for sure, he won't be beaten in the air. He is the tallest winger going around and he can jump and catch.

16. Billy

8 of that 17 were named in the emerging blues training squad, mostly forwards, but also one back, one half and a hooker.

17. Billy

They have put the names of NYC squad up really early this year.

Josh Alison - winger or centre backing up for second year.
    Joe Boyce - lock forward who played for Qld under 18s - from the Sunshine coast
    Blake Chaffey - utility player who played mostly centre and 5/8 in Ball in 2011, but also a few games in the forwards
    Nathan Clarke - they must mean Will Clarke - Nathan has already played 3 years of NYC - Will is a prop or second row from Ball 2011
    Adam Clydesdale
    Ben Edwards - lock forward from Ball 2012
    James Elias - centre or second row
    Jayden Eneliko - really rugged prop who played Ball last two years
    Lachlan Fitzgibbon - second row, and his dad owns the ground
    Blaize Fuller - speedy winger from Moree
    Ryan Hall
    Matt Hay
    Jed Hill
    Jackson Hill
    Sam Keenan
    Jeremy Maá
    Robert Mason
    Pat Mataútia
    Heath McIlveen
    Ben Roose
    Tom Rouse
    Brad Russell
    Lauclan Shiphard
    Mitch Stanton
    Michael Steele
    Napolean Utai
    Kurt Warden
    Stephen Widders

Can't be the complete list because no Jake Lawrence, Zack Walsh, and no Jack Jones would be a surprize too.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  18. Billy

Kevin Lowe,
    Chance Peni, - WA Union player
    Mona Seumanufagai - Kiwi prop
    Joseph Tapine Kiwi

19. Aidos

Aidos Moderator Staff Member Moderator

The Knights should have a good centre next year in Ryan Hall. I haven't seen him play myself, but apparently he's very quick.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  20. Billy

Profiles have changed a lot - Jake Lawrence in finally. Khalele Bowen in - halfback from Melbourne named Desaxe - but lots of names out too