2013 Harold Matthews Thread

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Lower Grades' started by Ms.Nobody, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Ms.Nobody

Ms.Nobody Banned

Draw

Round 1: Saturday Feb 9 - Newcastle v South West Sydney Academy
    Round 2: Saturday Feb 16 -Western Sydney Academy v Newcastle
    Round 3: Saturday Feb 23 - Balmain v Newcastle
    Round 4: Saturday Mar 2 - Illawarra v Newcastle
    Round 5: Saturday Mar 9 - Newcastle v Canberra
    Round 6: Saturday Mar 16 - St George v Newcastle
    Round 7: Saturday Mar 23 - Newcastle v North Sydney
    Round 8: Saturday Mar 30 - Newcastle v Sydney Roosters
    Round 9: Saturday Apr 6 - Cronulla v Newcastle

Squad

Lachlan Gallegos, Daniel Poole, Corey Denniss, Blake Ryan, Malik Deyaolu, Brock Lamb, Sam Rouse, Daniel McFadyen, Jayden Wright, Jayden Butterfield, Joby Ingram, Jack French (c) Dominic Murphy, Charlie Woods, Sam Stone, Patrick Wilson, Jake Stanton, Callen Guest, Brody McKinney, Jackson Ball, Zac Pursehouse

COACH: Justin Stewart

We encourage people to join the forum to provide more input into the Harold Matts progress throughout their 3 month season :)

2. Ms.Nobody

Ms.Nobody Banned

Here is the Round 1 team:

1. Lachlan Gallegos
    2. Daniel Poole
    3. Corey Denniss
    4. Blake Ryan
    5. Malik Deyaolu
    6. Brock Lamb
    7. Sam Rouse
    8. Daniel McFadyen
    9. Jayden Wright
    10. Jayden Butterfield
    11. Joby Ingram
    12. Jack French (c)
    13. Dominic Murphy

14. Charlie Woods
    15. Sam Stone
    16. Patrick Wilson
    17. Jake Stanton
    18. Callen Guest
    20. Brody McKinney
    21. Jackson Ball
    23. Zac Pursehouse

Couple of recognised surnames, wonder if they have any relations (Butterfield, Rouse, Stone)

3. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Malik Deyaolu is a name to remember - looks a beast.

4. Younggun2013

Younggun2013 Greg Smith

These boys are a very tight team. Look like they have been playing together for years. From their trial results they should give the tree a good shake this competition

5. Ms.Nobody

Ms.Nobody Banned

Matts kick off - 4pm at Cessnock Sports Ground on Saturday. Anyone attending? We should have some HT/FT updates on here.

I will be at St Mary's for the Round 2 clash which will be good to see the teams early.

6. portsharks

portsharks Greg Smith

blake ryan plays on my team (the port macquarie sharks) and the funny thing is for our side he has never ever played centre haha.

7. Happy Harold

Happy Harold Greg Smith

I also play with Blake Ryan and he can play anywhere! GO BLAKE

8. Ms.Nobody

Ms.Nobody Banned

What position has he been playing at Port? 5/8th?

9. Happy Harold

Happy Harold Greg Smith

He has been playing in the halfs&lock for club.but he did get picked in thr centres for northern country team.knights asked him to come down & trial in the halfs & centre.

10. Junior11

Junior11 Moderator Moderator

Apparently Ngangarra Barker is having the game of his life in the U16's Indigenous NSW v QLD game tonight

11. Billy

Went to the game.
    Under 15s played someone first up and won by 10 or so tries to nil - they suited up two teams and everyone looked good. The forwards in particular went great.

Matts won by 64 to 6. 5/8 Brock Lamb had a game Joey would be proud of. He could do no wrong. He threw the final pass for about 4 tries, his kicks nearly all stopped dead in the ingoal or were spilled by the fullback, the two tries he scored himself were one where he had the defence ****ting themselves he would set up one of his support players like he had been doing all day, so they just let him stroll over, and one where he dribbled a kick for himself into the ingoal and won the race to it.
    Others to impress were centre Corey Denniss who cut through half a dozen times, prop Daniel McFadyen who barged over for a few tries, and bench forward Sam Stone who is a tall and rangy second row with good footwork.
    Little Butts put in a good, honest performance at prop too.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  12. Younggun2013

Younggun2013 Greg Smith

Yes i agree it was a great game for the boys first hit out. I also thought forwards and fullback lochie gallegos had good games and didnt stop for the 60 minutes and in 37 degrees thats pretty amazing. Also blake ryan played well as of course brock lamb who must have been sick of kicking goals by the end of it. I think he only missed one. Well done boys

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  13. Billy

The fullback did have a good game, but with Ngangarra Barker getting MOTM for NSW indiginoeus under 16s and scoring a solo 90 metre try, he might lose his spot anyway.

14. Younggun2013

Younggun2013 Greg Smith

Yes ngangarra is an awesome little player but he has been playing wing for the knights, not fullback. The knights full back from the weekend and him actually make a very deadly combination together. With a whole team on the bench no one should feel too attached to their positions really with the exception of brock who has cemented the no 6 jersey i would say

15. Billy

1. Lachlan Gallegos
    2. Ngangarra Barker
    3. Cory Denniss
    4. Blake Ryan
    5. Malik Deyaolu
    6. Brock Lamb
    7. Jack Cogger
    8. Ryan Millgate
    9. Jayden Wright
    10. Jayden Butterfield
    11. Jobey Ingram
    12. Jack French
    13. Dominic Murphy14. Charlie Woods
    15. Sam Stone
    16. Sam Rouse
    17. Jake Stanton
    [TABLE="width: 300"]

[/TABLE]

Cogger is in after missing last week. He is the son of former Wests half Trevor Cogger, and by all reports he could be as good as Lamb.

Scores last week.
    Tries: B Lamb 2, D McFadyen 2, B Ryan 2, J Stanton 2, C Denniss, M Deyaolu, J French
    Conversions: B Lamb 10

16. Ms.Nobody

Ms.Nobody Banned

Academy were surprisingly a good test for the Knights. I was impressed by a few of the players in particular #2 Ngangarra Barker

#11 Jobey Ingram reminded me of a Paul Gallen 6 years ago... ruthless but a tad ill disciplined. He is a beast though and played really well.

Cogger played quite well, and Rouse is a handy back up. We could have a Walsh - Dureau situation in years to come.

Lamb was classy.

Both halves had a tendency to hit their backrowers right at the line which is fine but it cant be too consistent come the semis.

I think if these players all go uninjured they will be there in another two months.

17. Billy

highlights of the game are up on nswrl.com
    I'm in awe of the quality of Lamb's work.
    His individual try was good, but the cut out pass to Barker and the kick for Barker were just quality well beyond his years.
    Cogger was sharp too.

- - - Updated - - -

#HMATTS RD 2 WSAS V Knights

18. Ms.Nobody

Ms.Nobody Banned

A comprehensive win to the boys in atrocious conditions in Sydney.

Final score 30 - 4.

2 tries to Jack French, Brock Lamb 5/5.

So far undefeated after 3 rounds.

19. Billy

I read some of the match comments and apparently the kicking game of our halves in the wet gave Balmain no chance to get field position. Lamb seems to be able to stop a ball on a dime in dry conditions - I assume he could stop it in the in goal every time in the wet.
    5/5 this week makes it 20 from 22 for the season for Lamb I think. He has just about the opposite kicking style to Josh Mantellato. Josh kicks the hell out of the ball and curves it both left and right like a banana - like Johns used to do but even more so. Lamb does some elaborate steps, but his last three steps are straight on and he just does a gentle little toe poke that is very like Mick Cronin used to do it the 70s. The two get great results, but couldn't kick more differently.

20. Billy

[​IMG]

1. Lachlan Gallegos
    2. Ngangarra Barker
    3. Cory Denniss
    4. Tyler O’Brien-Ross
    5. Brody McKinney
    6. Brock Lamb
    7. Jack Cogger
    8. Daniel McFadyen
    9. Sam Rouse
    10. Jayden Butterfield
    11. Sam Stone
    12. Jack French
    13. Dominic Murphy14. Jackson Ball
    15. Callan Guest
    16. Zac Pursehouse
    17. Jake Stanton
    18. Jayden Wright
    19. Charlie Woods
    20. Daniel Poole
    21. Blake Ryan
    22. Malik Deyaolu
    23. Pat Wilson
    24. Ryan Millgate
    [TABLE="width: 300"]

[/TABLE]

Big change this week is Sam Rouse to starting hooker.
    Any other year he would be the star of the team and starting halfback, but we have the current Australian halves in 6 and 7, so this is a good move to get this quality player into the spine. I wouldn't mind seeing Cogger go to dummy half and have some runs too, because Cogger has a lot of zip.
    Ryan and Malik might be a bit injured to both be way down the list now, or maybe the coach just wants to try out some of his other backs.
    Butterfield got players player last week, and I think his hard work is the sort of thing that wins games, rather than the size, power and impact but low work rate of his fellow prop McFadyen.
    Good to see Sam Stone is starting again. I saw him come off the bench and make some quality runs in game one and I think he can have a lot of impact for us.