Your team for 2018

Discussion in 'Knights Signings, Rumours & Player Movement' started by krustykraz, Oct 15, 2017.

1. EASBay17

EASBay17 Tim Maddison

Has there been word on where guerra will play? I agree with most that his best footy is on an edge. But with browns love for sione could we see
    11.buhrer
    12. Sione
    13. Guerra

2. Quinny

Quinny David Fairleigh

Student
    Yea I agree I see Buhrer and Guerra as 80 minute players and even if one went down Barnett can move to the edge or even griffin has the ability to fill in anywhere in the back row. I don't like picking sides and carrying players as an insurance policy.

3. Rob

Rob Steve Walters

The make up of the back row will be intriguing. It all depends on Fitzgibbon maintaining form but I reckon that also depends on Lamb playing. I'd take Fitz's 6 tries over Buhrer's one but Buhrer had double Fitz's yardage. I'd be going for size which means Buhrer misses out. He'd be No. 14, prob starting at hooker and staying on to sub Barnett.

4. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

modern burlesque dancer
    Fitzy will kill himself in the offseason if he isnt in our 17 in round 1 will be blowing up delux was our best forward aside from Dan last 10 weeks.

5. Thornborough92

Thornborough92 David Thorne

going a little bit left field here but if we do get pearce we could consider giving watson first crack at the fullback spot? throw Ponga on a wing until he gets used to first grade because he was getting pummelled when he was filling in for coote.
    an option could be...
    1.watson
    2.ponga
    3.ross
    4.moga
    5.skd
    6.lamb
    7.pearce

i know highly unlikely but the more talent we can get on the field at the same time the better for us

6. krustykraz

krustykraz Scott Carter

I can't see why not. like Billy keeps saying who ever has a better off season in each position should get first crack at the spot.
    Imo I think Watson could make a good centre as well.

7. josh2010

josh2010 Up The Knights!!!!! Staff Member Moderator

Ponga wants to play flb and thats the reason why he signed here. Because we promised him the #1 is his!

8. Thornborough92

Thornborough92 David Thorne

yeah you're spot on and i guess at the time and still probably now we need to make those type of promises to get players with potential to come to us...

9. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Jason Hoogerworf

Unless they train and perform the best of the group then sorry you don't get your preferred position. It is up to each individual to perform, I am sure that Ponga, Watson, Ese'ese Ese'ese and Moga all believe they will get what they want but I'm not sure that the rest of the squad agree they will believe that any position is open.
    Due you really think, for example only that Meaney has resigned himself to reserve grade fullback because no matter what Ponga has the position signed sealed and delivered. Do you think Lamb is resigned to reserve grade because Pearce will come and Watson has been promised his position.
    GET REAL, they will all want to play 1st grade and be busting to do so, that's where they want to play and the more you play first the more prestige you get and the more money you earn from future contracts.

10. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

Get real? Anyone with half a brain can figure out that guys like Ponga, Watson & Ese'ese will be in the team as long as they don't completely go off the rails in pre-season. Browny paid good money for them & will be expecting them to be first-graders. And yes, I'm sure Meaney would be smart enough to realize that he'll probably be in reserve grade, but that doesn't stop him from putting in his best effort & proving to Brown he can do the job if something isn't going well in first-grade. If you think that getting real is thinking that Meaney has just as much chance as Ponga at making fullback, then good for you. All these arguments really just seem like people are annoyed that the local kids won't be in the team.

11. josh2010

Ponga will 100% play fullback. If we don't sign a center then there is still a few options

1 Ponga 2 Ross 3 Moga 4 SKD 5 Sio

Or

1 Ponga 2 Ross 3 Moga 4 Sione 5 SKD

12. Joshhh

I wouldn't even rule out Thornborough's idea if we don't get another centre but sign Pearce. Certainly would be a good way to fit everyone in, while also plugging some holes. I'd be surprised if Ponga was prepared to argue being put on the wing to start with, being an 18 year old kid still learning & at a new club.

13. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Of all our imports, Ponga seems least likely to grab a round one spot to me.
    He is a 19 year old with a handful of games in firstgrade - most of them on the wing.
    All our other imports are older and more experienced than the possible alternatives I think.

14. josh2010

19 yr old who is on 550k+ a yr. Pretty confident with all the hype he has plus the fact he was promised the flb spot he will start there rd 1.

15. Frank McWilliams

Meaney is no chance of putting Ponga in reserves but he will think he is, nothing is certain with form, injuries etc,and by the way I have just a tad more than half a brain, Ponga is a great possibility but no certainty, like everyone else to lock in his position.
    The beauty about the way this squad is developing and the competition for spots no one can be certain of any position and I am not about to declare any certainty especially in the young untried brigade

16. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Hype - short for hyperbole - interesting choice of word. It literally means over rated or talked up too much.

17. Joshhh

No one can predict the future, any of our young recruits could come in & make a horrible impression, or Browny could change his mind on things depending on new high quality signings, he's shown he likes to change his mind a lot about things. For me, the bottom line is the money that's being paid, those young guys are now some of our highest earners. That, despite their age, points to their development being high priority. Whether it's fair or not, they are getting the big bucks now so for me, it's as pointless discussing whether they will be in the NRL side or not as discussing if guys like Guerra or Moga make the side, who we all know will be.

18. Frank McWilliams

We all have our favourites but let's be honest we still want the best team on the paddock week in week out. Surely no one thinks that if someone is not fitting in, isn't putting in the effort that they will be given positions no matter what. The two positions that seem to be most contentious are Ponga at full back and Watson at 6. Moga at centre has no real competition so he is in, Guerra is experienced and will no doubt make 1sts, Eese and other will fight out for starting prop or bench.
    Who can say that Ponga will be fullback for sure over others or Watson will be 6 in front of Lamb depending on Pearce, Cogger and Hodko. And if neither or both don't make it what changes will result.
    A dozen of us could submit our best team with at least 12 variations that can be argued for and against isn't that how we want our team, everyone fighting for a spot without any guarantees.

19. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Ponga will be FB because he'll be the most talented and naturally gifted athlete at the club the moment he walks through the door.

cowboyman likes this.
  20. josh2010

Ill bet just about anything that If fit ponga Will be our flb rd 1. Even if we do sign Pearce