Your team for 2018

Discussion in 'Knights Signings, Rumours & Player Movement' started by krustykraz, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/5...is-so-relaxed-confident-and-contented/?cs=306

Article that pretty much confirms that Pearce will be the playmaker on both sides of the ruck and will use Watson and Ponga as running options on either side of the field - which is what it looked like they were practicing at the Toronto opposed session.

The question is, what happens when Pearce is playing SOO or is injured?
    It's asking a lot of Lamb to step into that role. I'm sure he'll give it his best shot, but Watson will need to give him some help you'd think.

"While he was always the dominant playmaker at the Roosters, Pearce will have an even greater hands-on role at his new club, revealing the Knights will play a less structured attacking game with him operating on both sides of the ruck, linking with the likes of ball-runners Connor Watson and Kalyn Ponga.

“Browny has given me a free rein and we’ll play a bit more of an ad-lib style here with a few more options in attack and that’s exciting for me as a half. It opens up your creativity,”he said."

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  2. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

I know the point you are making kenny,
    Though putting Barnett in the same category as 3 of the best players of all time? Wake up.

3. 88Knight4life

From what fitler was saying the other day, it would take injury to stop Pearce from getting the 7 for the blues.
    Big ask for Lamb to run the same structure when calked in.

4. 88Knight4life

Hahaha your a cunny funt :thumbsup:

5. LEVR

LEVR Banned

I was using them as an example of how important players dont play reggies. Didnt mean to compare them by status or ability

6. packo

packo :) (:

Government
    Everyone getting in on the action I need to get a jab in here and there.

88Knight4life likes this.
  7. BargeArse

BargeArse Robbie McCormack

I love that Pearce will be operating both sides as the main playmaker. Would be silly to restrict him to one side and have Watson essentially play as a second halfback on his side. He will be much better playing off of Pearce where he can just play eyes up football. Naturally, he’ll lean on his dynamic running game which is his strength, as opposed to feeling like he has to be a playmaker for those around him and force things. He’s a good enough ball player to act as that sweeper who can make the final pass, but he’s more runner than ball player at this point, which is why this traditional five-eighth / modern day fullback / second receiver role suits him much more.

As for Ponga, I have little doubts about him. He looks to be all class, just needs time in first grade.

Joey1245 likes this.
  8. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Clint Newton

Not too many in on the action, mainly two trying to outdo each other while the rest of us look on and wonder with a yawn in between, it's a battle being fought so that one or the other can say, I TOLD YOU SO, but unfortunately they have told us nothing, that will happen from Rd1 onwards

9. Quinny

Quinny Josh Smith

Student
    Good to see Brown encouraging Pearce to play both sides of the field and really take complete control of our attack. I don’t like this approach but some modern coaches of placing a half on each side of the field and not having them link up all that often. Hopefully we turn back the clock a bit and free our halves up and instead of playing a style of footy this is overly structure we play a more natural style and just play what is in front of you. I think it has the potential to cause some issues for the opposition defence with how teams have become so used to breaking down very structured attacks.

10. LEVR

LEVR Banned

Hey Frank... I told ya so

11. LEVR

LEVR Banned

Its cyclical. About every 5-10 years after structures become over worked and stale. A coach will introduce something new that works purely because it's effective against the prevailing style of play. Other coaches begin to follow suit and the next thing we learn is that it only works if you have the right players for that style

We've got the right players for unstructured play. Fast, skillfull and with big men inside and outside of them

This will probably work. And work well

12. Quinny

Quinny Josh Smith

Student
    That’s true everyone tries to copy new attacking trends that find success like his Melbourne’s structures were copied by the other sides. Last year Melbourne did something interesting with their centres allowing them to float and link up in the same side and it worked very well and caught defensive sides out, I reckon we will see a few sides try that this season.

13. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

Brown wanted Hokko to do this too, so clearly a long time goal for Brown, but obviously those plans couldn't come to fruition after Hokko got on the field & **** the bed.

14. Quinny

Quinny Josh Smith

Student
    Pretty hard for a one legged half to play both sides of the field. Hodko’s performances were not good enough for us but I do have some sympathy for him it must be incredibly frustrating having your badly fail you like that as an athlete, he was good for us off the field. He had a very young pack in front of him too and it showed with us being last for post contact metres earnt and topping the list with most post contact metres conceded. The hard nosed forwards Brown has brought here will help Pearce out a lot especially in suring up our defence in the middle.

15. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    Mate just remember if you go for me this alpha forum member puts people down! and I mean DOWN TOWN!

16. packo

packo :) (:

Government
    The last thing I want is the silverback to go down on me.

Joey1245 likes this.
  17. Wobbles

Wobbles Rodney Howe

Yeah, he's all teeth :lol:

packo likes this.
  18. Chief Longhorn

Chief Longhorn Paul Marquet

Is this you Lord!
    [​IMG]

19. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    Me after losing the weight lmfao!

20. Tubby

Tubby Graeme Foster

I was thinking last night how different our team could've been had we signed some of the blokes we chased early. Blair, Lodge, Gerard Beale, Matt Prior, Jack Bird (paying 1 mill to play 5/8). It's funny how missing out on some of those was probably the best thing for us

Edogmilly, Lefty, Barry Crush and 3 others like this.