Young Islander Chases NRL Dream.

FROM local competitions to the superdome of rugby league, Fiji Bati Sevanaia Koroi will rub shoulders with some of the game's greatest players.

The Nadera Panthers centre is in Australia attending a trial run with the National Rugby League heavyweights, the West Tigers.

The villager Burenitu, in Ra, marches into the Tigers camp today and will be joined by fellow Bati Tomujani Koroi.

"I am really happy with this opportunity I have been given by the Tigers. I will give 100 per cent and hopefully gain an NRL contract. I can't explain how excited I am," Sevanaia said.

The Fiji Bati regular, who is the cousin of Fiji 7s rugby squad member Neumi Nanuku, received the call from the Tigers after starring for the Bati in the recent international against Tonga, impressing many with his stellar performance.

His agent, Phil Browne said Sevanaia showed the Tongan team, which featured numerous NRL stars, that he could match it with the best.

"The West Tigers got hold of this news and offered Sevanaia and Tomujani Koroi trials with the NRL club," Browne said.

"It was an amazing year for Seva in 2007.

"He just recently signed a three-year sponsorship deal with leading compression garment manufacturers, Skins.

"Not long after, the West Tigers offered a trial.

"I think 2008 will be an even better year for Seva, especially with the Rugby League World Cup in October."

Fiji National Rugby League chairman Peni Musunamasi said Sevanaia left the country on Saturday after playing against the Fiji 7s team on Friday.

Musunamasi said Sevanaia was a dedicated player who had risen to the top level since joining the sport in late 2005.

"He was a rugby union player and represented Ra.

He only joined league about two years ago," Musunamasi said.

"He is a very dedicated player and shows a lot of sacrifice. He was selected into the Fiji Bati side in 2006 and played in the World Cup qualifiers."

If successful in signing a contract with the Tigers, Sevanaia will gain automatic qualification into the Fiji Bati side for the World Cup.

Other NRLplayers who will play for the Bati are Wes Naiqama, Ashton Sims, John Sutton, Akuila Wati and Daryl Millard. Fiji is grouped with France and Scotland in Pool B.

The Bati face France on November 1 at the WIN Stadium in Wollongong.

Its second pool match against Scotland will be played at the Bluetongue Stadium in the Central Coast on November 5.

Akuila Wati??? how do you get wati and uate muddled up?

Imagine Uate playing for Fiji at the RLWC. That would be one heck of a leap. But it'd give me more reason to go to that game.

Source: The Fiji Times Online.

That makes it worse its there own bloody country! Also its been said that Aku has already gained his spot in the side, fiji is preety dry for good wingers Wes plays 5/8 for them so he is probally there most experienced winger/center playing in the halfs, he is also captin

But you have to remeber Krisnan Inu played internation football before he plays First Grade. Whats to say it wont happen with aku? International footy has the youngest sides ever.

Back