Which spinner(s)should Australia pick agianst the Poms?

Lefty

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
I think Ashley Mallett is right in saying we should drop Marcus North and play Steve Smith and Nathan Hauritz against the Poms. I think the selectors need to show faith in Steve Smith and allow him time to develop.

"Defeat them we must"

I say we should stick loyal to Hauritz, he seems to bowl really well on Australian pitches and hasn't really let us down thus far.

We always have Katich, Clarke and North to fall back on for some spin bowling. Katich is very under used in the bowling department for mine. Great bowler.

I say go for the cotton trunks. Maybe in green and gold to show national pride, or white to keep tradition. They are very breathable, so the players will be comfotable in the aussie heat.

Not sure if Michael Clarke would be too happy though.

All in all, The poms want know what hit 'em.

I think Ashley Mallett is right in saying we should drop Marcus North and play Steve Smith and Nathan Hauritz against the Poms. I think the selectors need to show faith in Steve Smith and allow him time to develop.

"Defeat them we must"

I gotta agree, Smith has the potential to be the best all rounder in world cricket. Let him shine and drop the hack

Definately got to drop North, one of the most overated players australia has ever selected (there are a few in front of him though) IMO. He just has to much inconsistency in the international field. Anyhow give Smith a run, he has the XFactor and even Doherty from Tasmania maybe even a good choice. Can bat a bit and a very good left arm off spinner. Just selected in the one day squad.

Last edited:
I think the best young spinner Aus have is O'Keeffe. His first class figures are excellent and so are his international 20/20 figures.

australia is best known for there leg spinners so why dont we give steven smith a start and maybe just maybe he could be as half good as warnie and we all know if its just half there is 350 plus wickets

Smith is still fairly raw, throwing him into an Ashes series could make or break him.

I wouldn't want to see him turn into Cameron White v2 test player.

We are struggling for spinners... it's one thing England will have better than us in Swann and Panesar.

australia is best known for there leg spinners so why dont we give steven smith a start and maybe just maybe he could be as half good as warnie and we all know if its just half there is 350 plus wickets

Please use sentences, punctuation and capital letters!

One big danger for Australia this summer will be Panesar, I really rate him when he is bowling well. Very underrated for mine.

One big danger for Australia this summer will be Panesar, I really rate him when he is bowling well. Very underrated for mine.

He wont play. No pitch in Australia warrants two spinners unless they are of the calibrate of Warne. A spinning all-rounder is more likely to be chosen such as Smith.

Monty still running around? a few good laughs coming this summer then. Love watching him bat, catch a ball and throw a ball. Pure comedy.

Sorry for the punctuation. but i think smith is ready for the big time, And swann struggles on the Australian pitches.

If the aussies were to pick a spinner for the ashes it would be Hauritz. Smith is good but puting him in the side would be a big risk. If the aussies did give him time as far as international stakes go he would get chosen to be in the 20 20 side. Ive seen him play them and he is quite impressive.

yes he has bowled a few times, back in the last ashes in Australia he played against the blues and took i think 2-150. penasare i think is our biggest threat and also ponting is the right man for the captincy, he has a great amout of respect from his players.

---------- Post added at 07:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 PM ----------

yes he has once or twice and performed poorly. like i said earlier the best spinner for the job i believe is smith he can bat too, drop north for him but keep hauritz because he performs well on Australian pitches.
p.s ricky ponting is the man for the job of captain the only other man is clarke and he needs some form.

A great day for a few players in shield. Callum Ferguson hit 118 off 130 balls.

He could be a bolter for the test side?

Johnson bowled poo but recovered with 2 wickets. Marcus North should bat sometime tomorrow.

A great day for a few players in shield. Callum Ferguson hit 118 off 130 balls.

He could be a bolter for the test side?

Johnson bowled poo but recovered with 2 wickets. Marcus North should bat sometime tomorrow.

Yea Ferguson is a great batsmen. Australia have some great young batsmen coming through and some good young bowlers as well. The future is bright and with the new 20/20 comp on its way Australian cricket is in a great place.

yes there are some great players out there. but i believe brett lee should be picked he is bowling great.

Back