Where we have improved?

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by Billy, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Just watching the Lamb "in the sheds" interview, and he put his, and Hodko's, good form down to the "middles" making it easy for them.
    Brown is using the twins, Barnett, King and Buhrer for long minutes and hardly using Yates or Stone if he can help it.
    By doing that, he is keeping strong props and locks on the field all game. We really are still 1 or maybe 2 middle forwards short, and an injury to any of those guys would kill us I think, but for the first time in 2 years, for the last 3 games, we have been able to keep 3 strong middle forwards on the field for most of the game, and our halves and backs are finally getting to show what they can do.

2. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

modern burlesque dancer
    Mental and physical fitness to go the 80. But yeah our twins are ridiculously good for their age and need to be signed 3 years ahead at anyone time they are unreplaceable.

3. albert

albert Lenny Beckett

Would like to see us play more positive in the next 3 weeks when we are leading, instead of kicking the ball out every time, pass the ball or kicks that require a chase... Other than that the forwards have really stood up and in their carries and middle defense.

4. Billy

Slowing down the play might be one reason we get away with one less prop than we should have, and a very young roster.

Kurriboy likes this.
  5. Beaumont

Beaumont Paul the Chief Harragon

Muscle checking and manipulation of greyhounds.
    Where have we improved ? In the area of coaching. Team actually looks like there being coached in recent weeks. Looked anything but for most of the year.

88Knight4life likes this.
  6. albert

albert Lenny Beckett

That is true but with the game in the bag, the kicks that are hammered to the sideline... would like to see more attacking plays :lol:. Only thing I can nitpick at atm :lol:

7. danknights

danknights Darren Albert

I can definitely agree here. When does Melbourne start kicking for touch to wind time down. The last 5/10 minutes because they back their attacking and defensive structures. So they rightly should too.

8. Knighted

Knighted Steve Walters

Engineer
    Not sure if this is you point, but they also use it to control the game. I've seen Smith and Cronk kick for touch to settle the team or to slow down the opposition plenty of times. Even like we've done, to take certain wingers or fullbacks out of the game... I think the difference is that we haven't got to a stage where we can attack relentlessly like Melbourne, absorb pressure and counter from anywhere in the field.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

9. Knighted

Knighted Steve Walters

Engineer
    I don't think so. From what I've seen it looks like some of the stuff we are practicing or have been practicing all season is coming off. Like I've seen lamb take on the line before.. from memory there was one that was called forward to Feeney that wasn't forward... Very similar to how he broke through to give it off to Gags last night... I think that the coaching has been quite solid it's just taken the boys a little while to catch up to the speed and the physicality of the game, to be able to showcase talent .i.e., fitzgibbon... pushing that pain barrier.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

10. Jaybro

Jaybro David Fa'alogo

I honestly think the main reason we've improved so much is simply that the boys are physically capable of competing for longer and with greater impact. We've been great all season in our first halves but have dropped off in the second halves as we all know and I put that down to our boys simply getting used to playing at this level and now they're able to compete for longer periods. I've noticed the twins, king and Barnett are playing longer minutes and they don't seem as 'fatigued' at the end of their spells.

EASBay17 likes this.
  11. nunnsy

nunnsy Scott Seamer

Experience a lot of the young guys were chucked into first-grade way before they were ready and have learnt a lot of hard lessons but now they are starting to reap the rewards.

12. Tubby

Tubby Robbie McCormack

1) Performing for longer periods of the game instead of small bursts (as mentioned, physically and mentally fitter)
    2) Not rolling over once the other team gets on a roll
    3) Forwards going forward, allowing the halves to do their thang

Jaybro likes this.
  13. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Arnold Krewanty

Confidence

14. Defender1

Defender1 Timana Tahu

We've also improved our ability to scramble and the boys are working really hard for each other.

There was a point with about 6 or 7 minutes to go when Lamb received the ball on the last tackle... Could see he was thinking that little grubber he does, but, they'd forced up to put a bit of pressure on him. Instead of trying the kick here tucked the ball under his arm and took the tackle. Good example of them learning from previous errors...

Jaybro likes this.
  15. josh2010

josh2010 Up The Knights!!!!! Staff Member Moderator

Well For starters last yr we got smashed in most games by 20+ points. This year 80% of the games we have been right in it and lost a fair few due to some bad luck whether its from a player mistake or refs bad call!

Last year we seemed to give up a lot too once things didnt go our way. This year they have kept trying for majority of the 80 minutes.

Where can we improve next yr?
    1 Defense! Pretty obvious
    2 Performing for the full 80. so many games we shut off for 10-15 minutes where the opposition got 3 tries or more and in the end cost us. If we can fix that we will win a lot more games!
    3 Last tackle options. Seems when ever we get to 5th tackle the players look lost a lot. But in saying that it has still improved on last yr!

16. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Matthew Johns

Geez all these posts and not one of them has this sentence,

They are starting to buy into what we want to do here.

Tasgirl and danknights like this.
  17. Billy

because that's pychobabble bullshit.

18. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Matthew Johns

Really :giggle:

19. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

It's where we're at at the minute. Full credit to the boys though, they're giving 110%. Our 'spine' are coming up with clutch plays and are dictating terms with their leg speed and game awareness.

Battler and 88Knight4life like this.
  20. danknights

danknights Darren Albert

Pretty much the first conversation you have with your coach...... Very important.

88Knight4life likes this.