Where/how have we improved ?

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by Beaumont, Apr 24, 2018.

1. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    He did Friday night Nutty. The guy tackled himself to a standstill.

Still_Nutty likes this.
  2. Still_Nutty

Still_Nutty David Thorne

Lol - I’m overseas at the moment so I didn’t get to see the game.

I thiink the point behind that on Guerra and others Brown has brought in is the change in culture this year...players from successful systems are showing those from last year what the difference is between winning and just competing in the NRL.

Apart from all the other points raised by others is the slowly progressing discipline to improve performances - whilst dumb things are still happening out there, we are getting better in things like line speed (not all the time) and completions. These are the hallmarks, when done consistently, of the top 4 sides and we a incrementally building them into our game - still a work in progress but there are good signs

88Knight4life likes this.
  3. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

After 8rds
    Points for 138 ave 17.25 ( gone up )
    Points against 196 ave 24.5 ( gone down )

If we knock another 4pts of our against by seasons end ill be happy with that improvement.
    Last year we averaged 27pts against, to get that down to 20pts against is roughly a 30% improvement.

4. Jaybro

Jaybro Shane Mackley

The stats as always are fairly mis-leading the blow out scores have really 'blown out' some of those stats

I feel we still struggle in defence on the edges and we give up a lot of metres up the middle, but we have improved in these areas.

The biggest difference is we're winning all the tight games because we have clutch players now who come up with the big plays like Ponga and Pearce.

All our signings have made a big difference, it's been the guys from last year ( apart from Fitz ) who have struggled to step up, in saying this I'm still confident the likes of Lamb, Barnett, the Twins and Sione will continue to improve.

5. Ethan

Ethan Mark Hughes

Willie Mason was the same , i was at a game where the team were walking off at half time and willie ran from behind and you could here him yelling come on boys run off don't let the bastards see your tired ...

Still_Nutty and Tasgirl like this.
  6. 88Knight4life

Stats are stats,
    How can u say the blow out scores have really blown out those stats... than flollow it up with our edge still struggles and lose the middle :shrug:

For and against is for and against.
    If we are tied with 7th 8th 9th and sit 10th come rd25 we miss the finals due to for and against of those misleading numbers

7. Jaybro

Jaybro Shane Mackley

Well our average points for and against are pretty much identical to last season which would suggest we haven’t improved at all.

This is clearly not true as we all can see we’ve improved a lot, I can’t really see anything wrong with what I said to be honest.

We are still are vulnerable on the edges and we are still giving away too many metres up the middle, but we have improved in this area imo.

You’re right stats are stats but I doubt many coaches care too much about stats, listening to Phil Gould’s podcast last week he said he never looked at stats and just made them up to support his point lol.

As I said our for and against indicates we haven’t improved since last season which proves my point they are mis leading

8. 88Knight4life

I know what u mean,
    Though as u say we are still vulnerable on the edges and still losing the battle up the middle.
    I know we are improving and that comes in the stat of wins on the board, though the facts are facts.
    We need to get those thing fixed up and fast or a few more hiding will come this yr.

9. Jaybro

Jaybro Shane Mackley

It’s a slow process mate I think with two more props next year and Ramien defending in the centres we will see a much bigger improvement.

10. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Todd Bates

Is that two more props on top of losing Heighinton and possibly Lillyman, if we replace them it needs to be better than them or we have gone backwards. Every buy from now on should be better than we currently have or be so potential that in the next year to two are 1st grade. Currently we have a good side but we need to be better.

11. Ethan

Ethan Mark Hughes

Ah Mau and Napa would do and id give Lane from manly a contract too as a back up probably get him for $150,000 he can find the line and his defence is good too ..

12. Jaybro

Jaybro Shane Mackley

Yeah replacing those two guys mate, I think it’s a forgone conclusion we’ll be upgrading them, only signed them because we missed other targets anyways.

13. Mr Goanna

Mr Goanna hung up on the glory days

Yes!!! we officially now have the worst defence in the league! I knew we could get there if we tried hard enough :applause:

14. kurtsux

kurtsux Jake Mamo

Just saw the ladder from this time last year and looked at the for and against. We’ve scored a few more points this year however we have conceded 49 more points. I’d say that’s going backwards!!!

15. packo

packo :) (:

Government
    That’s a problem.