What to do with Sione?

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by Thornborough92, May 20, 2018.

1. Beaumont

Beaumont Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Muscle checking and manipulation of greyhounds.
    On Moga's form prior to injury there's no way he's guaranteed a start next year.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  2. krustykraz

krustykraz Akuila Uate

Id be starting Moga off in reserve grade to regain confidence, strength, fitness, form etc. If he out performs the centres we have then put him into first grade.

Beaumont likes this.
  3. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Moga will be at Peak fitness by pre-Season, he would be in the gym 4hrs a day by now doing plenty of low loading exercises and id say a heap of swimming/walking in waist deep water.

Also if the coaches see Siones future in the forwards? Than it would be wise to get him training for it from the week after mad monday.

4. Hughburt6

Hughburt6 Graeme Foster

Same could be said of Sione 2014 but recent form is all that matters with any player.

5. Bring it home knights

Bring it home knights Jacob Saifiti

I thought that I heard that he’ll be having his 5th acl. The one he did this year is the forth, but they then discovered that his acl in his other knee wasn’t in good shape so they needed to redo it.

6. 88Knight4life

The other knee which has blown out 3 times was getting a clean due to new technology that is now able to do more to repair the existing damage.
    If a reco is done correctly and the recovery is done correctly 99% of the time it ends up in better shape than before the injury happened.
    Gotta love technologies in medicine.

Lefty likes this.
  7. Jaybro

Jaybro Shane Mackley

Sione was good with ball in hand and solid in defence. Needs to get more involved he’s shown his power running game is getting near its best in recent weeks but he only got 6 runs which isn’t anywhere near enough.

Hopefully he gets more ball next week and produces more runs like he did on Saturday night. His defence will get tested big time this week against the Storm

Wobbles likes this.
  8. Beaumont

He was obviously targeted on Saturday. He tackled the 1 Rooster backrower 7 times 1 on 1. Put a great shot on Ferguson. Always been a strong defender it's when he has to think there's trouble.

Jaybro and nunnsy like this.
  9. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

It’s great to see him playing well. At the start of the season it was pretty much the new guys and Fitzy aiming up. We’re starting to look a lot better now that Sione, Barnett, SKD, Levi and Dan Saifiti (pre injury) have started improving and playing to their potential.

member 2299 and Beaumont like this.
  10. nunnsy

nunnsy Brett Grogan

27 tackles with 1 missed fair effort

Lefty, Jaybro and Beaumont like this.
  11. danknights

danknights Sean Rudder

Our defensive structure changed from last week to this week. I noticed a lot of line d with even spacing and Guerra doing a lot of directing. Kp was doing lots of shouting. I hope they keep this up. Will go a long way to winning games. Obviously sione being another body in is helping greatly so somebody spoke up.

Barry Crush and Beaumont like this.
  12. Wobbles

Wobbles Jason Hoogerworf

The tougher defense has seen the offloads dry up a lot in the last couple of weeks which is a great improvement along with an obvious commitment in tackles and hard hits on their line.

This week against the Storm will be a hell of a test but they'll be taking a lot of confidence into that match. Playing at home on a Sunday arvo has the smell of an upset brewing :thumbsup:

Jaybro likes this.
  13. 88Knight4life

You notice a lot more hits at the hip as first contact?? Or am i just hoping i seen them doing what i thought mite help lol

14. Beaumont

Plenty of us saying for 3 years there's too much grabbing and not enough "hitting". Don't know why it took so long for the penny to drop but the contact against the Rooters was the best for ages.

88Knight4life likes this.
  15. Wobbles

Wobbles Jason Hoogerworf

Grabbing on in an attempt to slow down a player is ok in theory and has it's place in potentially slowing down the resulting play the ball and giving other defenders time to get back into line.
    Of course, if they get an offload away it causes other problems.

But nothing beats smashing a bloke with a big hit that stops him dead, feeling like he can't get up without everything hurting. Can never have too many defenders with that ability.

Beaumont likes this.
  16. danknights

danknights Sean Rudder

A lot more first man at the hip and working together at the 1,2 structure as opposed to 3 men all standing with an offload not being stopped. Its clear it works.

88Knight4life and Wobbles like this.
  17. Wobbles

Wobbles Jason Hoogerworf

Hip shots are effective, so are a shoulder up and under the ribs. Both increase the chance of jolting a ball loose when they're looking at an offload.

88Knight4life likes this.
  18. danknights

danknights Sean Rudder

Agree mate. Then entire purpose of defence is to wrap up the ball and put the man on his back. First and foremost try wrap around attackers arms and squeeze as hard as you can so there's no chance for the offload and since you've got the rib cage open 2nd man in drills hard to take the wind out of the sails and drives with legs in a sliding motion to stop momentum. Attacker is only going on his back from there.

That then allows for the two defenders to be square at marker much quicker as they have fallen forward and the attacker backward then which allows for defensive line to be set properly by the fullback as his only missing 2 defenders to account for. 3 man tackle take a similar stance but 1 HAS to peel early and not stay like the blokes do today.

Defensive decisions are an entirely different ball game. I've rambled on enough about d tbh and I'd gladly take up the role to show anyone how to effectively tackle.

19. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Defence always turns around really quickly.
    It's just attitude and keenness that makes a difference in defence.
    I don't know why the team's attitude changed after the Cronulla loss.
    I know why we had a bad attitude - Brown had managed to alienate half the side by playing favourites with all his recent signings, and the rest were playing like guys who knew they weren't wanted.
    There was a report after the Cronulla game that Brown had told the team that careers were on the line - and I suspect the team had a chance to tell Brown a few things as well - but whatever happened - big Dan decided to have a crack, and the rest seem to have followed. We don't just seem to have Mrs Brown's 4 or 5 golden boys having a lash now - the others are having a go too - which is most obvious in defence.

Wobbles and Beaumont like this.
  20. danknights

danknights Sean Rudder

Yeah I can agree to a certain extent @Billy but you can chase down attackers all day and attempt to tackle them but actually making the tackle effectively and with proper technique is what matters.