What to do with Sione?

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by Thornborough92, May 20, 2018.

1. Jaybro

Jaybro Shane Mackley

You really can’t handle anyone else having a different opinion to you

I already explained to you in my previous post why this stat is misleading, not sure if you bothered to read it ?

What’s your point anyways? That a player can’t improve past the age of 22? Because that’s my point that a player (in this instant Sione) can improve his game.

2. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

My point was plenty of 22yr olds get discarded by every club and have done for 100yrs, i also said that the average amount of nrl games per player is under 50.
    You asked whst was my point... like a dumb arse :rolleyes:

Now Sione at 22 has had what 80 nrl games? Has showed since those first 15 games that he is bog average and borderline a liability in defense due to being..... you guessed it..... a dumb arse. :thumbsup:

3. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

My opinion is that Sione has played about 80 games in the NRL, I don't think it matters how young a player is at that point, with that much experience they should have shown some improvement playing week to week NRL against the best of the best. If he got his defence fixed he'd be alright, I don't know why it hasn't been addressed by him or any of the coaches. He needs to get out of Newcastle to a new system & maybe his game could be bettered by new coaches & better teams around him. Otherwise he's a park footy player.

4. Jaybro

Jaybro Shane Mackley

Hahah I’m a dumb arse aye? Did that make you feel better getting that out?

That stat actually backs up what I said that discarding players at a young age ( or within 50 games as your stat outlines ) you’ll go through a lot of players.

Also we’re talking about one player (Sione) not the average player in the history of the game, as I said there have been plenty of players who have gotten better after the age 22. I believe Sione will continue to improve whilst you think he’s hit his ceiling as a player.

I have no interest in ‘name calling’ some random bloke on the internet so I think it’s time to move on mate

5. danknights

danknights Sean Rudder

Stats do matter. Stats don't show the 1% of the game but show most other things which matter. If your garbage your stats don't lie. If your a superstar your stats don't lie. If your making 100+ metres you are working hard. If you have 3+ try assists you are analyzing the game and creating opportunities. Simple to understand imo.

88Knight4life likes this.
  6. 88Knight4life

Like a dumb arse, i didnt call you a dumb arse... you have plenty to offer on here and no doubt in general life, im sure you can connect the dots mate

7. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

The funny thing about juniors who make first grade is that they usually come from successful junior sides.
    Our minor premier winning 2006 flegg side, who also won 2004 under 18s - had 13 or 14 players make firstgrade (14 if you count Hlad, who played firstgrade ESL).
    Our 2014 minor premier side looks like it will produce about 10 - Sione, Fitz, Levi, Feeney, Mamo, King, yates, Lamb, Cogger and someone I've forgotten for now.
    Other years we produce no firstgraders.
    It's a very similar pattern at other clubs - most guys who go on to play NRL play in teams that win a lot of games in juniors.

Other years you have a few great athletes, but they all seem to just give up when they get no success.

8. Defender1

Defender1 Steve Simpson

Tapine?

9. 88Knight4life

Pangai

10. Billy

Yes - Tapine.

11. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Todd Bates

I think Sione will be signed for an X amount of years and will play for this club in a variety of positions, bench as utility back or forward or reserves as back up for firsts, Ramien or Moga. Don't think at this stage his HIA is regarded as a problem, think he is a better forward than a back. Know he has problems as a centre, could play wing but doubt it, just think the powers that be will sign him for who and what he is rather than totally for his football. We could do worse than have him off the bench or reserves, IMO only, it's a gut feeling on the club and team unity etc.

12. Billy

He played with Sione in under 16s, and maybe a few of the others.

13. Tim

Tim John Morris

I think thats exactly why the majority have given up on him. He doesnt seem to have improved at all. In fact id say hes far far worse now for the team than in his first 10 games for the Knights.

slotmachine likes this.
  14. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

I don't know where this theory about Sione being an attacking weapon in the centres came from, I already posted these stats (blah blah blah, they don't mean anything, missing more tackles is a good thing etc) before the Sharks game.

Ross (7 games): 2 tries, 1 try assist, 3 line breaks, 15 tackle breaks, 91m per game
    Moga (3 games): 2 tries, 0 try assist, 3 line breaks, 3 tackle breaks, 96m per game
    Sione (11 games): 3 tries, 2 try assists, 3 line breaks, 21 tackle breaks, 80m per game

Ross and Moga were doing better numbers in much less games.

Against the Sharks
    Ross Dawg (in 40 minutes) 0 tries, 0 try assists, 0 line breaks, 1 tackle break, 8 runs 77m
    Sione: 1 try, 0 try assists, 0 line breaks, 0 tackle breaks, 4 runs 37m

So useless old no knees Moga still has as many line breaks in 25% of the games.

15. Speedymetric

Speedymetric Matt Hilder

Your stats do nothing but weaken your own argument.

You're saying the average number of 1st grade games played is less than 50, this is correct. A few years ago the stats since the 1960s were something like an average NRL career being 49 games over about 4 years, 36% of players played less than 10 games and 57% played less than 30 NRL games. Taking it a step further the percentage of these who have gone on to represent Australia on three or more occasions would be minute. There would also be a small minority of NRL players who have played in the top grade in the second row, wing, fullback and centre in their careers.

Currently Sione is only 21 yet has played 79 games in four different positions in under four years. He is on track to play roughly double the average amount of games in the time span of an average NRL career. By seasons end he will have played three times more games than the average amount of games over half of the players to ever play in the NRL have played and nearly ten times as many as over a third of all players have ever played.

He has also been regarded as good enough to play in numerous positions and represent his country at the highest possible level by judges with much better credentials and reputations in the game than anyone on this forum.

So if you are judging Sione by your own standard of NRL games played he has to be considered a well above average player.

16. danknights

danknights Sean Rudder

His only played that many games because we don't have anyone better. Next year we will........

88Knight4life and Lefty like this.
  17. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Todd Bates

He is certainly an above average player. In fact he is an outstanding player when compared to every player to play any game of NRL.

If you compare him to every footy player to ever play football at any level and judge his success by that yardstick he is sensational.

I have no interest in comparing him vs every other player that didn't make it as a career nrl player.

I am interested in comparing him to the other, current nrl players actually playing at NRL level.

Sione is good in many positions but not great in any. That's what makes people question his worth.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

18. The Artist Formerly Known as Aku'd

The Artist Formerly Known as Aku'd Peter Johnston

Asset Manager
    Give him a 10 year contract :lol::eek:

packo likes this.
  19. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retail
    If he could play like he did tonight week in, week out then we’d have a quality centre on our hands. Was excellent tonight, just needs to find that consistency.

Tim and Beaumont like this.
  20. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

Was good on both sides of the ball tonight. He needs to come back through the middle more often, he’s a strong runner and has decent footwork that can really trouble opponents middle forwards.

The challenge for him is to do it next week. Hopefully he can.