What do we need to be legitimate contenders in 2019?

Discussion in 'Knights Signings, Rumours & Player Movement' started by Lord of the Skraelings, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    I don't doubt we'd be seriously entrenched in the 8 if the Safiti's stayed fit, Watson stayed fit, Moga stayed fit and ofcourse Pearce.

ImissVuna, Joey1245 and Angelus like this.
  2. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Your being simple minded slots.
    You know 100% why the answer is bring in more players....

3. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Been three years 88, still haven't seen much coaching.
    As always, it will be the Knights year, next year.

4. daniels

daniels Glen Frendo

We have been much improved at times this year, we really need to work on some consistency and hopefully get aafew more depth signings.

5. cowboyman

cowboyman Timana Tahu

Hospitality
    You need players that will walk into the top 17 not depth signings.

Two props and a outside back that will be straight into the 17 then need another few as players pushing the top 17.

Then you can be nailed on top 8 in my opinion.

Battler and Ak-47 like this.
  6. krustykraz

krustykraz Rodney Howe

Imo the biggest worry that we have this year is alot of our younger players form has gone down hill compared to last year.
    eg:
    Levi
    Lamb
    Dan
    Jaccob
    Ross (hes not young lol)
    Imo opinion they all played better last year. Its an issue that needs to be addressed. Im not sure of thr cause though.

7. Ak-47

Ak-47 Jake Mamo

Well there's no doubt we improved from last year, but as cowboymen said need top grade players in the starting squad, we have no depth and I think that's been the main issue this year. Also all eyes will be on coach next year aswell with the performance contract Browns got the spine and a few new backs next year just now need to be more in touch with top 8 and defensively improved, I think that's what everyone really wants/frustrated with. That's up to the coach, and pray Pearce and Ponga don't go down for long periods in season lol

8. Lord of the Skraelings

Dan preinjury was in better form than last year, Levi has had limited opportunities, Jury's out on Jacob as his never fit, Ross and Lamb are fringe first graders that looked good in a really bad team.

9. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Add Sione. Fitz got better early in the season but his form dropped right off before suspension.

If the coach doesn't get scrutinised, then who?

10. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

We did a really experimental off season, and the experiment failed.
    I think the guy who has suffered most is Buhrer. His numbers and impact are way off this year, and he is a guy who punishes himself with a high workrate.
    Along with a lot of others, he needs to give that body a rest.

11. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Clint Newton

As you sad though Billy, we needed to do something along those lines to work up combinations.

A bit harsh on Levi and Dan, Dan I think was going better than last year right at the time he got injured, or at least as well. Levi has not been down on form at all, he has been out of 1sts as coach wanted to go with Griffin and Buhrer on the bench and there is no room for another small body there. See how Levi goes for the rest of this year now that he will be starting.

Jacob hasn't really had a good run at building his form due to injury.

Ross has certainly been quieter this year, Lamb has been disappointing as has Cogger.

Some of the others haven't had much of a go like Stone, King has had some runs, Yates has had limited chances.

12. Lord of the Skraelings

It's all down to losing Pearce mainly he stays in we are at worst equal 8th best case scenario 5th.

Sadly the worst case has happened.

13. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Clint Newton

The Newcastle curse.

Every year we seem to get hammered by injuries.

14. relicorange94

relicorange94 Steve Walters

Mai-Wel
    Have been since for the past fifteen years.

15. ASJ82

ASJ82 Todd Bates

Mech Fitter
    We have terrible defence lets face it, how many of you cringe when the opposition have to football in our 50 just before half time, you can pretty much guarantee we let in a try. Oppositions game plan must be just defend defend defend cause If you get near knights line will pretty much score

ImissVuna and daverene like this.
  16. Lord of the Skraelings

More the first 5 and they spread it my bowels go weak lol

Battler and Matty23 like this.
  17. danknights

danknights Mark Hughes

Yep. Full shift left then right and I'm biting my fingernails hoping we have learnt to slide next thing you hear is TRY!!!! Blah blah blah

18. BargeArse

BargeArse Robbie McCormack

Eh. He hasn’t played 1/4 games this season and when he has he’s been off the bench playing sporadic minutes. A handful of games only playing 30 minutes. If his body can’t handle that workload, then he’s simply not cutout for the NRL.

Frankly, I think we screwed the pooch almost right away with Buhrer. We signed him as a skilful second rower who was in career best form playing on that right edge at Manly. Criminally underrated. Then we don’t play him there severely limiting his effectiveness. Instead he’s been wasted playing lock and hooker. He can fill in there and not let you down, but that’s not his game. That’s not playing him to his strengths. That’s not why you sign him for on presumably decent coin. He had really nice potential playing right second row and I think we’ve all but ruined his career progression tbh. Not sure what Brownie was thinking with him.

88Knight4life likes this.
  19. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

We signed him as a second-rower. He actually played there for us through the pre-season, Nines & his first 4 games for the club. But with Kostjasyn's injury, Brown thought he was the best like for like replacement. By the time we signed Griffin, we had second-rowers who were already better than Buhrer.

20. Simon Templar

Simon Templar Matt White

Project Manager
    CowboysMan , you are on the money , the players we need are run on material the young team from 2017 is full of fringe players who can be used as back up ,it is obvious that they came to grade too early and need to relearn their craft gradually.

ASJ82 , I am with you on this one , many times I have said Defense wins games and unfortunately when the Attack goes one way then hard back the opposite side our Centres shut down outside to inside and our Winger follows , it doesn't seem to matter which side, both sides do it - call it either "bad read" or maybe it is a bad coaching ploy , but it must change for us to progress as every side has worked it out.

It is stating the obvious that injuries aside we would have been further ahead on the table , how you fix injuries I am not sure.

But what we can fix is
    1. Address the defensive structure with either a changed policy or as intimated somewhere a Changed Defensive Coach , like Jason Ryles.
    2. Prioritise getting at least one ( or two ) dominating run-on prop ( Now ) , lets face it Lillyman and Heighington were supposed to compliment DSaf and JSaf , unfortunately that didn't happen due to injury, if it did Esse Esse would be able to make a real impact instead of being used as cannon fodder. History has shown we need to set a platform up the middle for the Halves to cut loose to be even remotely successful.