Tyrone Roberts

Discussion in 'Knights Signings, Rumours & Player Movement' started by Wobbles, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Chief Longhorn

Chief Longhorn Sam Stewart

Billy Hagan??????

2. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Not sure the immediately after the game where he was our best player is the time to be bagging Watson.

And before the "he's a fullback crowd" roll in it might help if you watched the game, he played first or second receiver in attack. So you must have been plenty impressed with his defensive positioning and kick returns I guess?

Caveat, he was only playing the Dogs reserves.

3. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

When he clearly showed he is a quality fullback and not a quality half is the exact time to talk about what he actually has to offer.
    Trent Robinson used him in the halves when he had no other options, and he did an adequate job as support for the main half.
    That's his role - utility who can do a job in a number of positions.
    If he were to specialize in one position, fullback is his best, followed by impact hooker. Half is a massive stretch.

4. slotmachine

He played half in attack, so you are praising his half skills. Congratulations, you got there in the end.

cowboyman, Matty23 and 88Knight4life like this.
  5. BargeArse

BargeArse Robbie McCormack

I said from day dot that I really like Watson as a player but not sold on him as a five-eighth. In an ideal world, he’s your utility. But generally speaking, I think fullback is his best position, then hooker, then five-eighth. Said it from the start. In saying that, he’s proving to be the second best half on this team behind Pearce. Not because of his half skills, but because whatever he lacks in that area, he makes up for by being a dynamic, all-around football player who can still positively influence a game. Cogger has been very poor and doesn’t look like he belongs in first grade. Lamb I had high hopes for but he’s disappointed thus far. Though they may both possess superior half skills than him, Watson > Cogger + Lamb. He adds something regardless of the jersey number he’s wearing. The others haven’t this season.

Moving forward if everyone’s healthy, I’m ok with Watson pairing Pearce in the halves due to what Ponga adds at fullback. I would almost have our attack structured as Pearce controlling the show as the dominant half. Ponga as another genuine half who’s the playmaker and just plays what’s in front of him. He can chime in wherever, whenever. Can overcall anyone. Watson can almost play the fullback role in attack as he possesses an explosive running game but doesn’t have the ballplaying ability or kicking game to be relied upon as a true half. Thankfully, Ponga more than makes up for that. Watson defends at 6 with Ponga at the back. However with the ball, Ponga attacks as the second half with Watson being the ball runner. Watson’s a playmaker no doubt, only he’s more of an individual playmaker where as Ponga makes those around him better. Both can coexist and thrive together with Pearce at 7. I don’t particularly care what number is on their backs.

6. slotmachine

Which is exactly what Brown had happening when everyone was fit. And it look pretty damn good straight off the bat for three brand new players to the club.

Lamb and Cogger won't be here next year. Everyone needs to get on the Watson train because he'll be in the halves in 2019 with Pearce. Choo choo.

BargeArse likes this.
  7. Ethan

Ethan Mark Hughes

Well imo we need Watson at 6 because Lamb and Cogger have both shown they are no where near 1st grade standard yet …
    They have both been crap this season and both can move on if they are not willing to hang around until theyre experience and form improves …
    I don't give a **** if they are locals if they are not up to the task leave and we will get someone that is …
    Watson doesn't have the kicking game that they have but he doesn't have to have that's what Pearce and Ponga are for he just has to use his running game break the line ( which he does very well ) and then feed the ball to the backs or score himself which he also does well ,,,
    Watson wasn't brought here to kick the ball that was Lamb's game but he has been a deer in the headlights this season luckily we bought Pearce and Ponga .

8. Chief Longhorn

Ethan, you are forgetting that Brown is a krap coach and only plays his favourites!
    Also Cogger, Lamb and the kid in under 16's are all better halves than Watson!
    The only reason Lamb and Cogger have been poor this year is because of Watson!
    If it wasn't for Watson we would be in the top 4!

Ethan and Joshhh like this.
  9. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    lol Longprong you are the pits my boy! I love it.

Well whatever we cannot accuse Billy of being inconsistent.

10. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Clint Newton

I love these debates on here that just keep rolling on regardless of things like reality.

When Watson was signed, we had Lamb at half. Then when Pearce signed I was banging the drum that Lamb should partner Pearce in the halves. I gave up on that when the reality was Brown was going to start Watson.

No point carrying on about Watson and whether he is a genuine 5/8 or not, Brown wants him at 5/8 for his running game and thats the reality.

And in the end the argument is really over the number on the back rather than any skillset as Ponga attacks more like a 5/8, Watson attacks more like a fullback and Pearce is a genuine number 7.

11. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

I’d just like to see Ponga/Watson/Pearce on the field together for a decent period of time.

12. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

When Pearce and Ponga are playing, Watson could take a book onto the field and spend the game catching up on Harry Potter for all it matters. But when those aren't playing, that's when we have a problem.

Wobbles and danknights like this.
  13. Chief Longhorn

Hahahaha!
    This is pure gold!
    Pure gold I tell ya.......

Joshhh likes this.
  14. slotmachine

And if not then, surely when Watson got injured, lamb got a shot, was laughably bad, and rightfully dropped.

15. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Yawn

16. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Clint Newton

Yeah he didn't really help me very much there.

17. Hughburt6

Hughburt6 Steve Southern

[QUOTE="Billy, post: 495333, member: 243"
    Roberts isn't the greatest half in the world, but he is an actual, genuine half.[/QUOTE]

Roberts is the biggest pretender. Not Watson. How many wins did we have with Roberts in the halves honestly?
    Can’t tackle or kick. playmaking is average at best.
    His running game was his best asset and that was a 6 or 7 out of ten being generous.

18. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    Easy decision with Lamb forgetting how to play footy and cogs being poo.

19. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    Yep you take a star half and fullback out of any team and they'll struggle.

20. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retail
    How dare Watson do the role he’s been asked to do by the coach himself. Ludacris. Rort. Sack him.

Ethan, slotmachine and 88Knight4life like this.