True News / Club Updates

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by Joshhh, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

KNIGHTS INSIDER - Wayne Bennett

[​IMG]

This week coach Wayne Bennett again took your questions for Knights Insider. Thank you for all the great questions you sent in and we hope you enjoy this week’s edition of Knights Insider!

@Dannyboy_101 via Twitter: Hey Wayne. What do you think of the NRL's response to the Kyle O'Donnell incident?
    Wayne Bennett: It is a bit hard to have a point of view on a response when they really haven’t given us one.
    @ltbrowny via Twitter: Now Luke Lewis is on the market... Would he fit in your plans for the Knights?

WB: I rate him very highly as a player and as a person and if he is on the market and that is the type of player we are looking for then obviously we would explore that option if that is what we wanted to do.

@Boy_from_Oz via Twitter: Wayne how much is goal kicking emphasized at training? We seem to struggle in this area & each game is so close?

WB: We do, it is like everything, we certainly have the players doing the practice but our situation is that we are probably on to our third our fourth choice goal kicker. Kurt Gidley is our obvious choice but Tyrone (Roberts) is a young kid who has had to take on the goal kicking responsibilities for us and he is working hard on it each week.

Josh Hill via email: Hey Wayne, do you see any players in NSW Cup or the NYC currently that you see potential in and that could possibly make the step up to first-grade in the next 18 months?

WB: Yes Josh there are a number in the NSW Cup and there is certainly a number of Under 20’s that we have contracted for next year.

@jenko_seven via Twitter: Wayne, how much do your halves practice their kicking game and would you consider Andrew Johns working with them in future?

WB: Our halves do as much training as possible on their kicking game. Andrew has a wonderful reputation for the coaching he does and anything is a possibility.

Jono F via email: Can you explain the logic of taking a penalty kick for goal instead of attacking (when the game isn't tied). Adam MacDougall said on The Roast that it's psychologically bad because it tells the other team you aren't confident to score against their defence, and I kind of agree.

WB: Taking the two points really revolves around the situation and time in the game and a number of other factors. It is not always a clear-cut decision, will take to two or won’t we take the two.

Mark Johns via email: Has there been a team this year that has surprised you with their form?

WB: I haven’t really been surprised to be honest. When the season starts you look at all the teams and know they are capable. Some get it right and they get some confidence from that and some don’t get it right and we are in that category and it becomes much harder than it should be.

@barndaddy12 via Twitter: Do you feel despite the poor start the Knights are still a chance of challenging the top teams?

WB: Before we think about challenging the top teams we have to get more consistency and teach ourselves to play a brand of football that will allow us to compete with the top teams. Once we can start to compete with the top teams then we are a chance of beating the top teams.

Jono F via email: Who do you think should coach the Blues next year if Ricky accepts a club role?

WB: No idea but I hope Ricky makes himself available again for Origin.

@marathonstadium via Twitter: In your first edition you rated Kurt Mann highly. Was it a surprise he signed with Melbourne not long after?

WB: Yeah it was, as a club we were disappointed about that. We did everything, the club has been wonderful to him but at the end of the day it was a matter of choice for him and the club couldn’t do anymore. I couldn’t be more pleased with what the club did with him, from when he arrived from Winton, to the offer we put to him and the way the club handled the negotiations.

Matt Coop via email: Hey Wayne. So with the players leaving the club, who are we getting to replace them?

WB: It is a process and we can’t make any announcements until we have the deals done and see what we have got. There is certainly a lot going on behind the scenes.

Ben Milne via email: What are some of the more fierce rivalries in the NRL?

WB: Knights and Manly, I am sure getting the vibes this week. The players are telling me why it is such a big issue for them, which is great. Knights and Broncos have a pretty big rivalry because they both came in at the same time.

Thanks once again for all your great questions. Next edition we will have Knights fullback Darius Boyd answering your questions. So email your questions to communications@huntersportsgroup.com or submit via twitter using the #KnightsInsider hashtag.

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/knights-insider

2. Mark

Mark Willie Mason

As if we didn't have the money to keep Mann. Its just a poor effort Wayne

3. Ethan

Ethan Steve Simpson

Matt Coop via email: Hey Wayne. So with the players leaving the club, who are we getting to replace them?

WB: It is a process and we can’t make any announcements until we have the deals done and see what we have got. There is certainly a lot going on behind the scenes.

This is making me salivate , like sitting at the table with a T bone in front of you but not being allowed to touch it yet.

4. josh2010

josh2010 Up The Knights!!!!! Staff Member Moderator

5. CORNER_92

CORNER_92 Greg Hayward

Apprentice Lift Mechanic
  6. Pieguyfly

Pieguyfly Matthew Johns

Anonymous: Coach, why did you drop Wes, bro? He's the star player!
    Wayne Bennett: WES, GET OFF TWITTER I KNOW IT'S YOU

7. Ethan

Ethan Steve Simpson

It does'nt say we did'nt have the money to keep him ...it says he made the choice to go no matter what the club did , you cant keep someone if they want to go .

8. Aidos

Aidos Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

9. jamesgould

jamesgould Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

Some quality answers from Boyd. He seems like a real top guy whenever I've read interviews with him. He also sounds a lot more keen on staying here when his contract ends than Uate did when asked in the Knights Insider a few weeks ago! :-/

10. josh2010

Looks like it is Wayne Bennett again for those who didnt have a question answered in his last one

11. Aidos

Aidos Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

How cut would the Dragons fans be if Boyd re-signs with us after 2015. lol.

12. josh2010

Boyd saying it would depend on a few things. Surely one would be Bennetts plans and whether he coaches somewhere else after us.

13. Ms.Nobody

Ms.Nobody Banned

Darius isn't exactly going to say I'm off after 2015 though is he.

14. josh2010

Exactly, How would management take it if he said "Yeah the chances are i wont be here after 2015"

15. willlowtree

willlowtree Craig Gower

What was with the guy saying something about a rock band shirt? Also interesting about his 1st try stat as well

16. Junior11

Junior11 Moderator Moderator

Haha wth was up with that t-shirt question, don't blame Darius for being a little creeped out :lol:

Very pleased with his answers today, for a guy who's known to be very media shy he sure is doing a great job. Sounds like a real nice, professional person.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  17. brentus777

brentus777 David Mullane

Mmm they didn't ask my question.... Darius, why do you have the slowest play the ball in the NRL? .. Valid question I thought...

18. Ms.Nobody

Ms.Nobody Banned

Can't we get someone else for next week. There's only so much you can ask Wayne. This will be his 3rd time.

Where's Buderus or Tahu or something?

19. CrabMacDougall

CrabMacDougall Scott Carter

You know whoever it is is only going to give a cliched answer anyway. Give me a crack

20. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

Wouldn't it be interesting if they HAD to answer every question?