Top 10 Knights moments

Top 10 Moments - Number 6

Newcastle Knights
Mon 5 Mar 2018, 11:02 AM

NUMBER 6: DANNY BUDERUS’ FINAL HOME GAME IN 2013

Kurt Gidley’s say: “I have mixed emotions on Bedsy’s final home game. Disappointed I was out for the season injured and also very emotional to witness his final ever home game. I was so happy and proud of his and the team’s performance. For him to kick a goal in the final few minutes just topped it off.”

It was a day where every Knights fan left McDonald Jones Stadium with a smile on their face, as the Knights hammered the Parramatta Eels 50-6 to head into the finals.

Having made his debut for the Club way back in 1997, it was Buderus’ 254th appearance for the Club, and he slotted the final conversion of the afternoon to boot.

https://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2018/03/05/top-10-moments---number-62/

Top 10 Moments - Number 5

Newcastle Knights
Mon 5 Mar 2018, 05:55 PM

NUMBER 5: CHIEF V SPUD – 3.1% OF VOTES

Kurt Gidley’s say: “These battles between Chief and Spud were unbelievable! They still are. I occasionally watch the highlights back from these encounters and still can’t believe what I’m seeing. Courageous. Possibly mad.”

When the rivalry between the Knights and Manly was its zenith, Paul Harragon and Mark Carroll put on some spectacular performances.

The most memorable moment came in Round 17 of 1995, when Harragon wound up from the halfway line at kick off to charge Carroll down.

Harragon ended up coming off second best, but in recent times Carroll has admitted that in the modern era he would have been sent off for the way he raised his arm before contact.

https://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2018/03/05/top-10-moments---number-5/

Top 10 Moments - Number 4

Newcastle Knights
Tue 6 Mar 2018, 05:41 PM

NUMBER 4: 2001 GRAND FINAL – 4% OF VOTES

Kurt Gidley’s say: “The 2001 grand final was extremely special as I was part of the grand final week and celebrations that followed. Although I only played a small part in first grade that year the memories of before, during and after are moments I’ll never forget.”

It's somewhat surprising that this moment didn't finish up higher on the list, as the Club won its second premiership in 2001.

The team was absolutely unstoppable in the first half, as the Knights ran over for four tries through the back row trio of Billy Peden, Steve Simpson and Ben Kennedy.

While the Eels did fight back in the second half to make the final score 30-24, nothing could take off the gloss on what was a terrific grand final win.

https://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2018/03/06/top-10-moments---number-42/

Top 10 Moments - Number 3

Newcastle Knights
Wed 7 Mar 2018, 01:05 PM

NUMBER 3: DARREN ALBERT’S TRY SAVING TACKLE IN 1997 – 5% OF VOTES

Kurt Gidley’s say: “Watching Darren Alberts try saving tackle on Matt Seers now, has more significance than when I watched it live! Alby saved the try to get the team into the grand final then scores the winner a week later. Crazy!!”

Darren Albert showed just how fast he was in this preliminary final, when he crossed over from the other side of the field to bundle Bears fullback Matt Seers out of play.

In the years since it’s a highlight that has been shown to new Knights, an education tool that demonstrates the never-say-die attitude that the Club and fans demand.

This tackle is even more significant because it effectively took the Knights into their first ever grand final.

If Albert didn’t make the tackle, the Bears could have very well gone on to a win a game that eventually finished 17-12 in favour of the Knights.

https://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2018/03/07/top-10-moments---number-32/

Top 10 Moments - Number 2

Newcastle Knights
Thu 8 Mar 2018, 02:15 PM

NUMBER 2: KURT GIDLEY’S SIDELINE CONVERSION AGAINST THE STORM IN 2014 – 8% OF VOTES

Kurt Gidley’s say: “My goal after the siren against Melbourne in 2014 was the craziest ending to any game I ever played in. We kicked off with three minutes remaining on the clock after Melbourne scored to go up by 10 points. People could’ve honestly put their house on Melbourne to win from there. All of a sudden, we score two tries in two minutes and I have the opportunity to kick the goal from the sideline to win it. The emotion and celebration with my teammates that followed were amazing!”

2014 was a tough year for the Knights, but Round 22 against the Melbourne Storm had a fairytale finish that captured the imagination of the NRL.

With three minutes left on the clock at McDonald Jones Stadium the Knights trailed 30-20, but by the time an ice cool Kurt Gidley had slotted his sideline conversion after the siren, it was 32-30 in favour of the red and blues.

https://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2018/03/08/top-10-moments---number-22/

Top 10 Moments - Number 1

Newcastle Knights
Fri 9 Mar 2018, 02:05 PM

NUMBER 1: THE 1997 GRAND FINAL – 63% OF VOTES

Kurt Gidley’s say: “I was lucky enough to witness this game live and as a young fan. Still gives me goose bumps when I watch it and listen to the final moments of commentary.”

It comes as no surprise that this moment ranks as the number one moment, with 63 per cent of Knights fans choosing it as their favourite.

It was the town’s first grand final win on a national stage, and also the culmination of ten years of work from the Club’s inception.

The red and blue team that day was stacked with players who would go on to become Knights legends, including the Johns brothers, Paul Harragon, Robbie O’Davis, Darren Albert and Billy Peden.

https://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2018/03/09/top-10-moments---number-12/

That’s a pretty surprising result that the 2001 grand final came fourth lol.

Wonder if they re-did that list where would the Semi last year against Canberra rank? Crazy game of football with so many twists and turns and a few great tries. That was the best atmosphere I’ve ever experienced at a footy game.

Yeah I'd have it up there too as one of the most dominant first half displays I've seen. I guess the voting depended on who actually seen the polls as most older folk can't even turn on a bloody computer.
There’s definitely some recency bias in there. I mean Dureau’s field goal vs Manly, Kurt Gidley’s vs Brisbane, Buderus’ final home game … great moments (well, I don’t actually remember Buderus’ final home game but I’m sure it was good), but were these really better than our 1992 debut finals charge? That was absolutely huge at the time.

That said I think the top five are all very worthy. The Kurt Gidley conversion perhaps the least “important” moment in that we missed the finals that seaso , but it held a bit extra with it being the year McKinnon broke his neck. And the scenes when he kicked it were iconic.

The Gamble to Young try in the Canberra final would have to be my top moment of the past decade at least, probably longer (Gidley conversion was great but hard to put it above a home final win). Joey losing his mind on commentary doesn't hurt the replay value either.
Just when I thought the crowd couldn't be any louder, Rapana ? missed in cover and the crowd went ballistic. Awesome moment.

Back