Toohey's News

Discussion in 'Knights Signings, Rumours & Player Movement' started by slotmachine, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Darren Albert

Not to nit pick but you have SKD and Lee as our Wingers, and considering Sione is not going to play centre next year according to Brown, who do you have partnering Ramien in the Centres?

Moga won't be ready round 1, and will need a decent amount of time getting back to match fitness through reggies before he returns.

2. Lefty

Lefty Keith Beauchamp

Barry has reported that Luke Yates will not be offered a contact by the Knights for next year. His manager is fishing in the NRL and in England but no offers have been made for him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. luke46

luke46 Jake Mamo

I'd like to see him on minimum wage at the knights.

4. luke46

luke46 Jake Mamo

I think you are very wrong - we will have to wait for team lists Rd 1 I guess. Our first choice centres are Ramien and Moga (injured). After those we look to reserves or changing the team. I think that your assumption that because brown said Sione will be training at back row rules him out for filling in for other positions is wrong. I E. If ramien injured himself in round 1 or if moga isnt ready for the first few rounds im sure Sione would be back in the centres. If moga doesnt come back i guess we will look ataa replacement. We are looking at Jennings. I honestly don't think SKD will play the majority of the season on the wing. I also think if Sio signs barring further injury he plays the majority of the season in reserve grade.

Again - first graders on first grade money - Ramien, SKD, Moga, Lee.

Reserve on first grade money but probably shouldn't be - Sione

Reserve on reserve money if he signs - Sio

We do have other prospects on the wing that could fill in.

If it was really going to be SKD and Ramien in the centres and Sio + Lee on the wings do you really think brown would have refused Sio $20k more than half his current pay to stay?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  5. Tubby

Tubby Graeme Foster

I feel for Yates, he was born in the wrong era. 10-15 years ago he would've made a great clubman

6. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Clint Newton

Last year Sio started reserves with Ross on wing, Moga injured Sio came in. Not being offered top money for next year, less than this. Just think he deserves place in squad based on his efforts and does give us depth. Would most likely play reserves but has plenty of grade experience.

Kurriboy likes this.
  7. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

I think the minimum top 30 contract is 110k these days, and from what I've read he was offered a bit more than minimum, and he isn't worth more than that for us, but I can see him getting 200k at least in ESL - he was one of the better players in ESL.

8. packo

packo :) (:

Government
    I can see why they are being like this, you start chucking players like that an extra 20 or 30k and next minute you lose a marquee signing by 100k a year to a rival club

9. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

It's good we're playing hardball or cutting all these fringe guys.

Must be confident of getting in replacements though.

Yates played 6 games
    Sio played 20 games
    Ross played 15 games
    Cogger played 12 games
    Denniss played 11 games
    Lillyman played 15 games
    Meaney played 5 games
    Lamb played 8 games
    Heighington played 21 games

10. krustykraz

krustykraz Scott Conley

We had no depth in the middle forwards this year and now we are letting the depth that we did have go.
    Middle forwards leaving...
    Heington
    Lillyman
    Amey
    Yates
    JJ
    Griffen (un-likely to play in 2019)

So far the only middle forward we are getting is Glasby lol.
    we might get a couple of guys move up from 20's.
    We still need cup players.
    It doesnt add up.

11. Billy

If we were making way for the majority of under 20s to move up to reserve grade next year it would make sense, given how well our under 20s went this year, but I keep hearing that most of them are looking elsewhere too.
    We seem to be about 15 players short of 2 senior squads right now.

12. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

We *might* get a fit Jacob, would be like a new signing. As the years go on I think he might be one of those blokes that never gets an injury free run.

13. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Darren Albert

I get what is being said, letting fringe players go etc, but we aren't replacing them and don't have the depth of juniors coming through ready to step up to NRL level either.

If we have injury concerns next year, which we invariably always do, we can't replace them with those fringe players in lower grades as we just don't have them on the books. Part of running an NRL team is being able to replace injured players with either an up and coming player who is a talent, or a player who can get a job done for you without being a game breaker etc.

We are letting these types of blokes go, telling Ross he can leave, Sio being low balled, Yates no contract, no replacements for all those lost middle forwards.

The club must be confident of signing blokes to fill these roles that are an upgrade I assume.

14. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Well if we do get injuries in pretty much any position Brown will realise we’re going to be up sh*t creek without a paddle real quick and we’ll be staring at another season down the bottom rung of the ladder. At this stage I’m in no way confident of making the 8 or being close to it, unless we snag someone like AFB, Klemmer etc.

15. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    Why is Sio being low balled, fully fit his not in our 17? Should NSW cup players be on $250k a year?

Defender1 likes this.
  16. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Darren Albert

Well, he was our top pointscorer last season, played nearly all year, is a good depth signing which we seem to lack and apparently the Knights and Sio are separated by about 30k.

He can't be on a large contract with us in the first place yet we have halved that offer apparently. I get everyone likes the flashy signing like pearce, and we are targeting NRL quality props, but you still need a team around them to last through the year.

The club is shopping Ross around, is not interested in signing Denniss it seems. Centres we have Ramien, Moga is injured, wing we have SKD and Lee. Sure we are chasing Jennings but don't have him yet.

What players in reggies are ready to step up to NRL in those positions should injuries strike?

Say he was on 250k per year, and we have offered minimum wage of $110k. Sounds like his manager is saying around 150k would get him signed. Are you saying Sio isn't worth $150k for a season or two to provide depth?

17. Billy

Musgrove and Andrews and possibly Heath Gibbs are the 3 lower grade guys we seem to have kept on the books (not sure about Gibbs, but we wanted to keep him last year and he came back after doing a firstgrade off season with Wests).
    Musgrove did a firstgrade off season with us and played mostly reserve grade before injuries cut his season short.
    Mitch Andrews played reserve grade till he broke his arm, and came back in under 20s. He was one of our best in reserves.
    All 3 are tall, athletic guys, but all 3 are mostly centres and Gibbs looks like he'll end up in the second row.
    They are basically all similar to Cory Denniss.
    Beau Fermor also played half his games in reserve grade at centre and averaged more fantasy points than any of those guys - 35 per game, with Denniss only averaging 25.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  18. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Clint Newton

You wouldn't want an injury that had you playing any of them very early in season, all good players with potential though

19. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

We need Michael Hagan back. He’d manage to get Kenny to re-sign for only 4 or 5 times what he’s currently on.

20. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    It never said minimum wage at all I'd say his offer is about $150k after being on $250k.

Re other players the fringe ones had a chance to press their claims didn't so bye bye.

Rather try fresh meat and hope it's good rather than old meat we know is crap.

Damo Levy likes this.