Tim Grant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lock depends on what the team needs. Could be any position really.

A 3rd prop. Eg Ese Ese
An impact forward Eg Taumalolo
A workhorse forward. EG Gallen
A ball playing forward EG Greg Bird (dont really see these any more)

Grant signing for us fizzled out?

Are we seeing a case of Deja vu here concerning Tim Grant, Ivan Cleary & a Mid Season move??

When Cleary came to Penrith Grant was their No.1 Prop and had just played Origin, Cleary wasn't a fan and dropped him to reggies, Grant was all set to sign a deal with the Rabbitohs for a mid season move until the 11th hour Cleary decided he still wanted Grant after a big performance. Grant still signed with the Rabbits as he wanted to 'honour his word' to Souths, but Penrith blocked the mid season move.

4 years on Cleary has Grant mainly playing in reggies but recalls him and after apparently being link to Knights for a mid season move, Grant puts in a near MOM performance. Maybe Cleary will again realise he doesn't want to part with Grant??

I don't know Grant personally but I have friends who know him very well, I know he's not keen on moving around after leaving the West to the Eastern Suburbs and back again, I think his preference would be to stay in Sydney so if the Tigers still want him I'd say he will stay, unless he could secure a longer deal which I doubt Newcastle would be willing to give him.

Lock depends on what the team needs. Could be any position really.

A 3rd prop. Eg Ese Ese
An impact forward Eg Taumalolo
A workhorse forward. EG Gallen
A ball playing forward EG Greg Bird (dont really see these any more)

Disagree.

It’s not what the team needs, it’s who they have. You can only work with what you’ve got.

Almost every single team in the league, despite what they “need” (impact, workhorse, ball playing, etc.), would take Taumalolo or Trbojevic as their starting lock over whoever else they have.

An example of it not being what they need but who they’ve got to work with is Cronulla. You say they need a workhorse forward like Gallen. Funny how that changed to them “needing” a skilled ball playing forward in Paulo when Gallen wasn’t available due to injury. Paulo didn’t automatically pickup the workhorse role, he just did him.

To put it another way, when Pearce went down we badly needed a controller and a playmaker. Because that’s what we needed in the halves, that didn’t automatically make our five-eighth position go from a runner to a ball player. Watson is playing that position for us, and despite what we need from that position now, he can only be him and play his game. Likewise when Watson was that “ideal” running five-eighth outside Pearce. When he got injured and Lamb played 6, that didn’t automatically make him become a running half in the mould of Watson. No. Lamb just played his game.

Do you think Ponga is the way he is because Brown said “we need a ball playing playmaker at fullback”? No. That’s just Ponga’s strength and his natural game. If he gets injured and we have to play someone else fullback, good luck getting them to play that exact same playmaking role because “that’s what we need”. Won’t happen.

Coaches can have preferences in what they want in a position and player, but 99% of the time it’s solely the player and what the team has to work with.

Well, we probably need Grant now & maybe even another bloke who can't get a start.

I didnt watch the game today, he started at prop,
played 35mins, 85m, 16 tackles, 2 missed.
His stats seem alot less than last week (played less minutes) but still ok.
Anyone watch it? how did he look?

I didnt watch the game today, he started at prop,
played 35mins, 85m, 16 tackles, 2 missed.
His stats seem alot less than last week (played less minutes) but still ok.
Anyone watch it? how did he look?

He played the first 25 minutes and was by far the best for meters gained and tackles for the tigers at half time.
For some reason he didnt come back on until the 75th minute or something and at this stage the sharks had all the ball and he only did 1 hitup in that stint.

By memory he had 74m and 13 tackles after the first stint of 25 minutes which id be more than happy with from any of our props

The fact he’s starting for Tigers now makes this very unlikely to happen

Might have to look elsewhere ??

Maybe Vete might be worth another look ?

Let's leave it to Mooney and Browny and not get our pretty knickers in a twist, eh guys?

Very rarely do outstanding buys come available mid year ~ just other teams discards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back