Tim Glasby signs with Knights on a 3 year deal

Discussion in 'Knights Signings, Rumours & Player Movement' started by 88Knight4life, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Joel

Joel Touche...

Teams are different, individual roles are different, structures are different. *Tokes*. The game is always changing bro, **** the system.

This is pretty much a more generalised version of the Lamb v Watson discussion.

Matty23 likes this.
  2. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

You say 90% of coaches would take Taumalolo or Trbojevic, what would that coach do?

My guess is build a side around them :shrug:

A team is all about balance from winger to prop.

3. BargeArse

BargeArse Darius Boyd

My point was I think they’d take either player as their starting lock regardless of how their team was structured. It’s not hard to fit those guys into your team or forward pack, despite how different they are.

4. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

Not 100% the same, I think there's no doubt if he was playing lock, the focus would be to stretch out his minutes, make plenty of tackles & pick his runs, so to conserve his energy, whereas at prop he would be expected to focus more on runs & cranking out 100m+ every game.

Where he plays probably depends on how many good props we can sign before next year. If we somehow grabbed 2 quality props, then there'd be genuine reason to put Glasby in a lock role. However who knows if we'll be able to grab any quality props, with how short we are there already & Barnett/Guerra already in the lock role, it seems likely to me he'll be in the prop rotation. Brown would have signed him for what he brings as a player first, not necessarily with specific knowledge of his role as a prop or lock yet, who knows what the team make up will be in 2019.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018 at 1:03 AM
    EASBay17 and 88Knight4life like this.
  5. Jaybro

Jaybro Shane Mackley

Another side note to this discussion looking at the statement 'Any coach would take Taumalolo or Jake Trbojevic'

Yes this is true although you don't get asked to take these guys you have to go after them and pay big coin to get them.

Looking at Big signings that work and Big ones that don't, often coaches will pay big money for guys and try to play them in different roles or in a game plan that doesn't suit them. Jack Bird is the obvious one but he has been played out of position.

Cronk and Tedesco are two guys who you could say 'Any coach will take them' but their styles have been so different and they've had trouble fitting in and gelling with team mates. You could attribute this to buying players who don't suit the system the team/coach play with. Roosters style is very different to the Tigers and Storm (prior to this year anyways ).

Looking a big signing that worked James Maloney for Penrith, he's brought what the club needs composure and direction things they weren't getting from Moylan and Cartwright who liked to play sideways too much.

Anyways moral to the story is buying players who don't 'suit your style' can back fire no matter how good they are.

EASBay17 and 88Knight4life like this.
  6. 88Knight4life

Great read this post :thumbsup:

Coaches either buy players to complement the side they have or they buy a player/s that they can build a team around for many years.

Jaybro likes this.
  7. Jaybro

Jaybro Shane Mackley

The smart ones do

The dumb ones buy the wrong ones

8. Nickwpearce

Nickwpearce Mark Hughes

9. Jaybro

Jaybro Shane Mackley

10. Wobbles

Wobbles Mike McLean

If SKD doesn't start showing more of the class we know he has (having a better centre inside him will certainly help his cause) he may struggle getting an extension.
    I can see Brown and Mooney going to market for a couple quality outside backs before long.

With the form and consistency we've seen so far, Griffin looks like he'll be around here for quite a while and should snare a pretty handy contract extension.

Jaybro likes this.
  11. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    Apart from one game for mine SKD has played strong.

Edogmilly, Matty23, packo and 2 others like this.
  12. Ethan

Ethan Sean Rudder

SKD has been our best outside back in my opinion

13. 88Knight4life

Can you define class in your opinion please mate?

14. packo

packo :) (:

Government
    Not every winger is Radradra. SKD has been great, can only fault the loose carry he has every game or so.

Ak-47 and kurtsux like this.
  15. 88Knight4life

In saying that, there are thing skd has done that semi hasnt or couldnt.

But skd probably couldnt beat 6-10 players and run 90m to score either.

16. danknights

danknights Sean Rudder

Maybe in his prime. Not now though. He just needs to do what his doing. Its more then enough imo.

17. 88Knight4life

Ohh that try to win vs the tigers was awesomr, not many players could take that catch and score imo.

Go to 3:40 on the vid..... he did well

18. danknights

danknights Sean Rudder

I loved that catch and put down from the jb kick. Skids has a lot to offer to this knights team. Much more then our backs of the past.

19. 88Knight4life

That other one where he juggled/tapped it on and regathered to scored was a beauty as well.

Kurriboy likes this.
  20. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Todd Bates

That was the one I was thinking to highlight. Magic catch that one.

SKD is doing very well for us.