Tariq Sims Released ealry, Signs with Dragons

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by rhugh89, Feb 11, 2016.

1. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Tariq Sims declares intention to stay with Newcastle Knights — if he’s part of club’s plans

February 10, 2016 6:48pm
    BARRY TOOHEY
    The Daily Telegraph

[​IMG]
    NEWCASTLE strike forward Tariq Sims says he won’t hold the club to ransom over his playing future declaring he will only stay at the Knights beyond the end of the season if he is in coach Nathan Brown’s long-term plans.

Sims, poised to be handed a captaincy role in Auckland during the Nines this weekend, has an option in his favour for 2017 to remain at the Knights and is well within his rights to exercise it.

But it also means he can become a free agent if he was to decide to explore opportunities elsewhere.

On the verge of breaking into the NSW Blues Origin side, Sims is adamant he doesn’t want to play his football anywhere else but says it will ultimately come down to whether Newcastle needs him and wants him to stay.

“To be honest, I haven’t even sat down with the club to talk about it,” he said.

“I’ve got that option in my favour and I’d love to get it squared away sooner rather than later just to get it out of the way.

But the coach has been a bit preoccupied trying to secure some other players.

[​IMG]
    “I’m sure we will sit down with Browny and Gids (CEO Matt Gidley) at some stage soon and discuss it because, as I say, I want to get it sorted.

“But I’m not about to force things if I’m not wanted.”

Sims admitted the opportunity to play under Brown longer-term during a rebuilding period at the club really appeals to him.

“Browny’s really impressed me in the short time he’s been here,” Sims said.

“He seems to me to be a coach who knows the secret to getting the best out of players.

He’s building a new, young club around some players and that’s exciting and a great way to go about coaching and business and I’d love to be a part of that.

“I love it here in Newcastle and my family is settled here and I don’t want to play my footy anywhere else.

But it’s a business at the end of the day and it comes down to whether I’m wanted.”

Sims, who will miss the opening five rounds of the premiership due to suspension, was granted a special dispensation by the NRL to play in the Nines.

While Brown is yet to decide who will captain the club in the NRL, Sims is certainly in the leadership mix and shared the role with Robbie Rochow and Tyler Randell in Auckland over the weekend.

He admits the captaincy is something he has thought about over the off-season.

“I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t,” he said.

“If for some reason I was asked, I’d definitely take it with two hands.

But we have some great leaders in guys like Jarrod Mullen, who has been a great servant of the club, and Jeremy Smith who has been around the traps and is really well respected.

“But I think everyone knows how competitive I am and how passionate I am about the game and the Knights in general so if I’m in the mix, that’s great.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/a79ebdcba36c0c52f632bf686e58156b

2. Mr Goanna

Mr Goanna hung up on the glory days

good to hear

3. Treadly

Treadly John Allanson

I hope he really comes into form this year. When he burst onto the scene he was my favorite player.
    I know he has had 2 broken legs, but let's hope he sorts his ***** out

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

4. member 2299

member 2299 Andrew 'Joey' Johns

Retired
    Correct Treadly. He has underperformed and needs to watch his agression or more time off the field. Been here two years and each year started season off with a suspension carry over.

5. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

The hardest thing to take about him is that he is in the same boat as Snowden with the judiciary and gets double the suspension other players get for the same offence.
    It's very frustrating for the club that we pay these guys huge money and they get suspended for months.
    This shouldn't be a factor, but it is. If we sign him, he will probably miss up to a quarter of games from suspension.

6. member 2299

Retired
    Follow the Titans who deduct 3% of the annual payment for each and every week suspended. Simply write into the contract as a performance clause.

7. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Paul the Chief Harragon

modern burlesque dancer
    In all seriousness has he been much chop for us?

Throw in the suspensions and I wouldn't be upset if we used his $500-$600k elsewhere, in our favour I can't see any clubs offering him what he'd be on ATM.

8. member 2299

Retired
    You gotta stop agreeing with me Lord of the Scaleybugs. You are getting both of us a bad name!

9. danknights

danknights Clint Newton

He hasn't been much chop running off Tyrone Roberts. He should go better this year off a better half. Id really like too see him at lock.

10. Lord of the Skraelings

modern burlesque dancer
    My posts after 10pm on weekends should require a breathalyzer test before approval, I normally post pretty good stuff!

11. Aidos

Aidos Jarrod Mullen

Yeah, I think he'd go better as a middle forward nowadays. Isn't a huge threat on an edge like he use to be. He gets through a fair bit of work though and I think he'd thrive off the physicality more at lock.

Was really hoping to see a future backrow of 11. Rochow 12. Tapine 13. Tariq. Oh well.

12. danknights

danknights Clint Newton

I wouldn't mind Korbin as the other backrower. Play stocky at prop. His not a big prop but he would like the grind I think.

13. josh2010

josh2010 Up The Knights!!!!! Staff Member Moderator

Future for me would be Korbin Rochow and Tariq in the back row. Just need another frf tho IMO

14. Aidos

Aidos Jarrod Mullen

Korbin was excellent in the front row last year, though. I'd be a bit hesitant to move him away from the middle permanently at the moment. I'd like to see how he goes as an edge forward for a few games first.

15. Lord of the Skraelings

modern burlesque dancer
    I'd keep Korbin starting in the front row he had a great year, leave him starting IMO.

16. Chief Longhorn

Chief Longhorn Charlie McAlister

Stockwell....will shine this year! The end.

17. ryan.berger.56

ryan.berger.56 Todd Bates

He's due for a big year, if it wasn't for injury last season I would've put money he would shine last year. Hopefully the injury doesn't affect his form

18. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

SIMS A KNIGHT FOR LIFE?

Tariq Sims says he’d be happy to play the rest of his career in Newcastle.

While he has an option in his favour to stay in the Hunter for 2017, the backrower is eager to extend his deal beyond a single season.

Having recently purchased a home in Newcastle and with another child on the way, Sims is settled.

While Sims is suspended until round six, the enforcer was hopeful of having his future sorted before the season kicks off in March.

Foxsports.com.au can reveal the club and his management are in agreement that they’ll wait until he gets back on the field before commencing talks.

When asked what an ideal term for a new deal would be, Sims told Market Watch:“I’d be happy with a lifetime deal.

“We need to talk about it and come to an agreement.

“Hopefully we can square it out of the way because I don’t really like that stuff affecting my thought process through the season.”

While the opportunity to continue playing alongside his younger brother Korbin is a factor, being part of the club’s rebuild and keeping his family settled is a massive allure.

“Having my brother is like having a security blanket,” he admitted.

“The club and where we are at the moment — I’m definitely in love with it.

“Our family outside of football is very happy and stable and we love Newcastle and everything about the place.

“On the field last year was a bit of a tough year but something I enjoyed.

“Looking into the future, I can see where the club is going to be and I really want to be a part of that.

To stay at Newy would be great.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...h/news-story/853ef445389322f8b5db897530fd970a

19. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

Good to hear about someone actually wanting to be here. He needs to pick up his game though particularly defensively if he wants an extension.

20. danknights

danknights Clint Newton

His dicipline for me is the biggest issue. His young enough and fairly aggresive but he needs to clean up the Crap in his game.