Tahu endured years of abuse as a Knight: O'Davis

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by Ms.Nobody, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Ms.Nobody

Ms.Nobody Banned

Tahu endured years of abuse as a Knight

- O'Davis claims Tahu was racially abused during his time at the Knights.
    - He also claims Owen Craigie was forced out in 1999 because of racism.
    - Burraston's simple answer was 'there is no evidence of that here'.

Pretty nice from a guy who is now on our board. If true, I really don't think it would be a problem now.

I wonder if Joey has found out who his friends really are out of all of this, if any support him even though he is in the wrong. Every ex player there is seems to be coming out and slamming him now.

2. Woody

Woody Brett Shore

Pretty rough by O'Davis, but if this has gone on, then in a way I'm happy he's come out and said it. It shows that as a club we don't tolerate racism now, even if you are Andrew Johns.

Puts it out in the open, so we can try and move on. We all know what good hiding Joey's drug use did. Better to have it out in the open imo.

3. Ms.Nobody

Ms.Nobody Banned

It's actually no suprise, the team was close to all 'white' back in the day and no one (like now) would sign.

That's changed abit now.

4. TheRedAfro

TheRedAfro Rod Shoesmith

Student
    Honestly, for some reason this doesn't really surprise me :neutral:

Unlike places like Sydney, and QLD, our little part of the world was never really impacted by multiculturalism. Heck, you can even see it today when people say 'O, I can't tell those players apart' or 'Why aren't more locals in the team'.

Unfortunately there's a lot of bogans in the Hunter area.

I'm glad we had all those clean-outs and imported players from different backgrounds. If anything, it made some of the backwards supporters go away

5. Woody

Woody Brett Shore

It isn't just our supporters though. I remember in a game last year (I can't remember the exact game but it was at home on a Sunday), Rabbs actually commented that he had a lot of difficulty telling most of Newcastle players apart.

6. OneblueoneRedEye

OneblueoneRedEye Cory Denniss

Owen Craigie may have experienced racism, and I'm sorry for that. However IMO his poor form and weight problems were a major factor in why he wasn't re-signed.

7. Jonno

Jonno The 18th Man

Mining Engineer
    Our clubs glory years a certainly being tainted. Drug use kept under wraps by the club, and now racism claims coming out....certainly doenst look good.

8. Mark01

Mark01 Brett Grogan

Thats a pretty rediculous statement A.K.

Suggesting that our team was predominately of one demographic because of racisim.

The fact that we won a couple of premierships in that period would be a enough to show that it was about picking the best possible players.

9. Ms.Nobody

Ms.Nobody Banned

Erm, how is it ridiculous? It's a friggen possibillity!

You cant be 100% certain and when one A.Johns is in the side, any team could win a premiership.

Why is it the local community don't like it when we recruit an out of towner?

Or complain they cant recognise the players?

Our club is in better shape because of the amount of polynesians we have now... is this no suprise?

10. Willyum

Willyum Banned

Hasnt that been answered like 100 times in the last 3 days. :whistle:

11. Mark01

Mark01 Brett Grogan

That is the most circumstancial argument.

For starters, we won two premierships when we were supposedly picking teams based on the colour of there skin, what an amazing coincidence!!
    Achieving that regardless of who is your halfback would be up there with any other impossible feet yet to be achieved by man and you know it.

Of course people of Newcastle are going to prefer home grown product than imported product (reagrdless of race), that opinion is held by almost everybody in almost every industry. If you werent so stuck on labeling our team with assumed guilt you would probably see that

How many people would like to see Aku Uate out of the side??

And in all honesty at the start of 2009 I had a little bit of trouble telling our players apart only because they look similar!!!! Be it a mixture of the way they cut their hair, their build or the colour of there skin its actually hard to tell them apart becuase they really do look the same. It is OBVIOUSLY not about racism.

12. Quinny

Quinny David Fairleigh

Student
    bit off topic but do yous remember when Pato shaved his hair off. He was playing on mad dogs side against souths and you couldn't tell them apart lol

13. Jonno

Jonno The 18th Man

Mining Engineer
    I'm sorry, but who was our First captain? :think:

14. TheNakedMan

TheNakedMan Daniel Saifiti

Taufua, Taia, Sau and Fa'aoso do look fairly similar. Especially Taufua and Taia from behind. It's not an Islander thing though; the blokes just have similar looks. I could pretty easily tell the difference between Zeb and Fui or Roy or Matai.

15. Jonno

Jonno The 18th Man

Mining Engineer
    exactly, watching the NZ all whites play last night, a lot of the Slovakians looked similar because they had similar builds and shaved heads.

I always have trouble telling Taia and Taufua apart on wide angled shots.

16. ~knightsgirljess~

~knightsgirljess~ LIVE LAUGH LOVE

NURSE- TEAM LEADER
    I think its hard to for people like AK who is not from newcastle to realise how proud we are of local talent, if you arent a novocastrian you just dont get it.
    Newcastle is a place were we dont particulary like outsiders (being players from other teams regardless of race) an example is Ben Kennedy we hated him at first he copped so much slack for signing with us once we got to know him we loved him.
    Newcastle isnt a racist place or culture at all Robbie o should shut his gob he aint no angel himself

17. Sir George

Sir George Alex McKinnon

I really hope Tahu didn't have to go through any racism during his time with the Knights!,I don't believe Joey is a Racist!,Not for a second!

18. Quinny

Quinny David Fairleigh

Student
    i agree their is a mentality you can only understand if you grew up in Newcastle. I think it goes back to the start of rugby league in 1908 after we left the Sydney comp to start up the first bush footy comp. The Sydney administration has never truly accepted us back so we don't accept anyone else into our culture lightly. Look how the Sydney media treats us they will put the boot in every chance they get. It is not just our club either they do it to Canberra,Warriors and North Queensland. If your not a dominant club or from the Sydney area you just don't get treated the same.

P.S. that includes treatment from referees and the ability to lure class players aswell

19. Templar Knight

Templar Knight George Carmont

well there were rumblings about town back in '99-2000 that the 'Wok' never liked players of a certain race and hence the departure of big 'Owey' but Jason Moodie was still there and T got his start under Ryan so maybe it was nothing more than a personality clash.
    as for polynesian players well that makes no sense at all 'cos Wazza brought in Temu, Rauhihi and Lomax so i never really subscribed to those theories doing the rounds at the time.
    racist club? pfft. no such thing.

20. Woody

Woody Brett Shore

I don't know about that. I've lived in Newy my whole life, and I don't really care where they come from as long as we're playing well.