State Of Origin - Game 3

Discussion in 'Rep Footy' started by Junior11, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Junior11

Junior11 Moderator Moderator

Obviously Merritt is out lol. Fergo surely won't be back. Reynolds is a massive waste. I wish Pearce was a chance of being replaced but I don't think that will ever happen...

1. Jarryd Hayne
    2. Brett Morris
    3. Michael Jennings
    4. Josh Morris
    5. Akuila Uate/James McManus
    6. James Maloney
    7. Mitchell Pearce
    8. Paul Gallen
    9. Robbie Farah
    10. James Tamou
    11. Luke Lewis
    12. Ryan Hoffman
    13. Greg Bird

14. Andrew Fifita
    15. Trent Merrin
    16. Kade Snowden
    17. Anthony Watmough

2. jamesgould

jamesgould Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

They just need the game one side with a replacement for Ferguson/Merritt. That should be either Taufua, McManus or Gordon.

3. Lynchyknight

Lynchyknight Todd Bates

Townsville - Wish I lived in Newcastle though
    Merritt out that's the only change that needs to be made.

4. Aidos

Aidos Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Honestly, I was kind of fine with giving Pearce another go this year but after last night, I think he has to go too. It's absolutely ridiculous the amount of chances he's gotten when he really hasn't showed anything of quality at Origin level.

5. Junior11

So many players who have had better games than Pearce have been dropped, I don't understand it either

6. Joel

Joel Touche...

We really need Tamou back, we miss his go forward and aggression I don't think Woods really offered.

I would rather take a gamble and go with Uate over McManus, I don't think a 'safe' winger is what we need in the origin arena at this stage for game 3. Uate's x-factor and hit ups is what we need. But honestly anything is better than Merritt. Even Taufua would be a wise choice, but another rookie isn't what we need imo.

Reynolds needs to go, no questions.

7. Afro Zac

Afro Zac Todd Bates

1. Jarryd Hayne
    2. Brett Morris
    3. Michael Jennings
    4. Josh Morris
    5. ????
    6. James Maloney
    7. Mitchell Pearce*
    8. Paul Gallen
    9. Robbie Farah
    10. James Tamou
    11. Luke Lewis
    12. Ryan Hoffman*
    13. Greg Bird

14. Albert Kelly/Jamal Idris/Todd Carney
    15. Anthony Watmough
    16. Trent Merrin
    17. Andrew Fifita

For the wing spot, all the wingers we have available have there strengths and weaknesses, but I'm leaning towards George Tafua

The halfback spot, I'm with Aidos, my patients is wearing very very thin for him. If Daley doesn't think Adam Reynolds is ready, wouldn't mind seeing Todd Carney there for some x-factor. I'm still not to sure on James Maloney either...

I didn't notice very much of Ryan Hoffman last night? Apart from him getting driven back in a few tackle? I still love the though of Luke Lewis hitting the right edge, Greg Bird hitting up the left edge and Paul Gallen up the middle at lock, and bringing someone like Tim Grant in

But after all, isnt the problem with NSW, chopping and changing our teams to much :lol:

8. Ms.Nobody

Ms.Nobody Banned

Maloney was much worse than Pearce last night.

Agree with all... Merritt out, and get Tamou/Hayne back in ASAP.

If we can get Ferguson back too we need him but can't see it.

9. Aidos

Aidos Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Maloney was worse and I'd nearly consider replacing him too, but he probably deserves another chance. Pearce has just had far too many chances already and will never be Origin standard so we may as well replace him with someone else.

10. jamesgould

jamesgould Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

You don't go messing with the halves, and especially throwing in a rookie, for a game three decider. They did the job in game one at home, and they can do it again. No need to panic.

11. Onemangang

Onemangang Michael Hagan

coal miner
    1. Jarryd Hayne
    2. Brett Morris
    3. Michael Jennings
    4. Josh Morris
    5. James McManus
    6. James Maloney
    7. Mitchell Pearce
    8. Tim Grant
    9. Robbie Farah
    10. James Tamou
    11. Luke Lewis
    12. Greg Bird
    13. Paul Gallen

14. Andrew Fifita
    15. Trent Merrin
    16. Luke O’Donnell
    17. Anthony Watmough

12. cowboyman

cowboyman Sean Rudder

Hospitality
    Merritt was predictably bad, will be another 1 game wonder for NSW.

Woods showed that he isn't upto that standard yet. In hindsight probably should of went with Grant.

Got no idea why Reynolds came on for Farrah. Farrah was our most threatening player and Reynolds best attribute is his running game. Which was completely nullified at hooker as we were dominated all game in the ruck. Plus his passes were borderline shocking at times.

Only definite changes for me would be:
    Merritt - Fergo/Idris
    Woods - Tamou

Other possibilities are:
    Hoffman - Sims/James on bench with Watmough in starting line-up.
    Both Pearce/Maloney for Adam Reynolds/Sutton or Carney. Although the likelyhood of that is next to none.

13. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

1. Jarryd Hayne
    2. Brett Morris
    3. Michael Jennings
    4. Josh Morris
    5. Akuila Uate
    6. James Maloney
    7. Mitchell Pearce
    8. Paul Gallen / Andrew Fifita *
    9. Robbie Farah
    10. James Tamou
    11. Luke Lewis
    12. Ryan Hoffman
    13. Greg Bird

14. Todd Carney
    15. Trent Merrin
    16. Andrew Fifita / Tim Grant *
    17. Anthony Watmough

18. Kade Snowden

* Depends on the fitness of Paul Gallen

14. rhugh89

Paul Gallen still a chance for State of Origin decider after scans reveal extent of foot injury

PAUL Gallen is planning to push his body to the limit in a bid to lead NSW into the Origin decider after scans this morning revealed the extent of a foot injury suffered on Wednesday night.

The NSW captain injured his left foot in the final 10 minutes of Origin II with the diagnosis deemed to be a partial tear of the plantar fascia tissue in the arch of his foot.The initial diagnosis is that he will be sidelined between three to five weeks.With the decider in Sydney just 17 days away, Gallen will work around the clock with rehabilitation and physiotherapy in a bid to be fit."My goal hasn't' changed. I'll be doing everything I can to be fit for game three,'' Gallen said."I'm going to stay on the crutches for three or four days, spend every day rubbing Pain Away into it and ensure I get it right."I'm certainly not thinking that I won't be there.''

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...t-of-foot-injury/story-fni3fqyo-1226671331808

15. Deanoknights

Deanoknights Daniel Smailes

I'd honestly have Mullen in there somewhere! I think he'd be better than either if the current halves especially if NSW forwards can show some dominants again at home!!
    I don't think they will change the halves but if we lose again they must put Mullen in next year for his clearing kicks and defence!!

I'd have Snowden instead of Woods too if Tamou isn't back but Tamou hasn't been at his best with his back injury IMO

I'd have Uate on the wing for Merritt for sure! Daly m winger two years straight and a very hard ball runner to return their kicks!

16. Playmaker06

Playmaker06 Max Chapman

Student studying sport sciences
    Yeah i totally agree, can't risk putting a rookie in a decider. It will be too much pressure for them. Ill keep the same team. Only change hayne fullback and dugan wing.

17. cowboyman

cowboyman Sean Rudder

Hospitality
    Tamou with a back injury? First I have heard of that.

18. rhugh89

James Tamou and Jarryd Hayne to the rescue for NSW in State of Origin III

[​IMG]
    James Tamou is set to return for the Blues in game three. Picture: Philip Hillyard Source: The Daily Telegraph

THE Blues are putting the band back together.

The Sunday Telegraph can reveal that NSW coach Laurie Daley has already told Test prop James Tamou he will be chosen for rugby league's biggest match of the year, the State of Origin decider at ANZ Stadium on July 17.And in a further boost for NSW, Jarryd Hayne, the Blues' most experienced player, has also said he will be fit after he missed Origin II with a hamstring tear.

"I've had three running sessions to get some volume through my legs and the next session will be a bit more speed, a bit more volume," Hayne said."I really want to start putting some speed and pressure on it. My mind is on the prize and being ready to get back."The prize Hayne speaks of is obvious - ending the Maroons' reign, which up north has been described as "eight on a plate".But given what's at stake, with the series locked at 1-1 and how the Blues performed last Wednesday night, why should Daley show so much faith in his team?How can NSW bounce back from last Wednesday night's disaster in Brisbane?The Sunday Telegraph has crunched the numbers, stepped inside the selection room and probed deep into the NSW bunker to answer the questions every Blues fan want answered.

[​IMG]
    Mitchell Pearce arrives at Sydney airport after State of Origin II. Picture: Mark Evans Source: The Daily Telegraph

THE CAVALRY

DALEY phoned Tamou after he was suspended for drink-driving to tell the 113kg prop that he only needs to get through the next two rounds of club football to be chosen for the decider. If NSW captain Paul Gallen can overcome a foot injury, Tamou will replace Aaron Woods up front.Woods will survive if Gallen is out. The Tigers prop couldn't have asked for a tougher initiation to Origin.The Blues were starved of possession, leaving Woods to carry the football on just five occasions for 33m.

Hayne will replace Nathan Merritt after his disastrous Origin debut.While Daley hasn't ruled out naming Hayne at fullback, instead of Josh Dugan, his selection on the wing is less complicated.The return of the Eels star on the wing would be significant. He has won man of the match awards for the Blues on the wing.

Hayne also won't be forced to place his fitness under the pressure or carry the workload he would from fullback.He would be given a roving commission in attack. His big frame and ability under the high-ball also make his selection an easy one.If Daley opts for Dugan at fullback, Hayne will happily accept the decision."I thought he (Dugan) was one of our best, his kick returns were awesome. He did everything to try to get into the game," Hayne said."I'll obviously discuss that (playing on the wing) with Loz."I've played there before, I'll always do whatever is best for the team."Hayne will make his return for the Eels next Monday night against Manly.

THE HALVES

IF NSW lose the decider it's likely to be Mitchell Pearce's last Origin match. He's the Blues' longest serving halfback in Origin history but has never steered NSW to a series win. If it wasn't an all-important decider, the form of South Sydney's Adam Reynolds would be impossible to ignore. Pearce's kicking game, especially in attack, must improve from what he showed in Origin II.His radar seemed to be pointed right down Billy Slater's throat.Five-eighth James Maloney suffering a fractured cheekbone is far from ideal.Cronulla's Todd Carney and Souths pair John Sutton and Reynolds will all be considered if Maloney is unable to recover.

THE BENCH

IS NSW getting enough out of Josh Reynolds off the bench?He failed to see a minute of footy in Origin I and played only 14 minutes last Wednesday night, making seven tackles and missing three.Before the opener, Manly's Glenn Stewart phoned Daley to tell him he wasn't fit for selection. Daley was preparing to pick him.Experienced and mobile, the Test backrower is the perfect solution to stiffen up the Blues' right-edge and pressure the Maroons in attack. Stewart has the ability to force his way back into the side with a big game against the Roosters tomorrow night.

THE NUMBERS

IF the entire state of Queensland hate Paul Gallen, they despise playing at ANZ Stadium even more. How could that be possible? Well, just look at the statistics. The Maroons have played at ANZ Stadium on 20 occasions, winning just five Origin matches, losing 14.Their record in game three is also square, winning two, losing two and drawing one. Importantly, they have won just one decider at ANZ Stadium in three attempts.History is also in the Blues' favour. Since the introduction of a three-game series in 1982, the team that has won game one has gone on to win the series on 23 occasions from 31 series, including the past four series.

THE REFEREES

AFTER losing the penalty count 8-5 in Brisbane, NSW officials will consider pushing for referees Shayne Hayne and Ashley Klein be sacked for the decider.Jared Maxwell's name has been mentioned as a possible replacement.There's a belief from within the Blues camp that the two whistleblowers cracked under pressure in front of the 50,000 pro-Maroons crowd in Origin II.

While the Blues players admit Queensland were the better side on the night, they remain filthy the way the game was interpreted in many instances.Replays of the match have shown that the Maroons repeatedly stood offside without repercussions.

THE BETTING

NSW will start ($2.05) outsiders for the first time in two years at ANZ Stadium. Queensland are $1.75 with the TAB."The Blues are traditionally popular at home, but with the series on the line punters' loyalty will be tested," TAB's Matt Jenkins said."With doubts over Paul Gallen and coming off such a comprehensive defeat, the Blues may drift further. Punters pulled off a huge plunge on Queensland in game two, so it will be interesting to see if they stick."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...te-of-origin-iii/story-fni3fqyo-1226671909691

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  19. cowboyman

cowboyman Sean Rudder

Hospitality
    Tamou pretty much sealing up his spot back in the NSW side with his performance against the Sharks. 19 hitups for 200m plus 19 tackles.

20. Junior11

Yeah, would've been really disappointing if he didn't come back and play his guts out after what he did