Sione Mata'utia re-signs with the Knights

Discussion in 'Knights Signings, Rumours & Player Movement' started by Kurriboy, Oct 17, 2017.

1. danknights

danknights Timana Tahu

A lot more first man at the hip and working together at the 1,2 structure as opposed to 3 men all standing with an offload not being stopped. Its clear it works.

88Knight4life and Wobbles like this.
  2. Wobbles

Wobbles Shane Christensen

Hip shots are effective, so are a shoulder up and under the ribs. Both increase the chance of jolting a ball loose when they're looking at an offload.

88Knight4life likes this.
  3. danknights

danknights Timana Tahu

Agree mate. Then entire purpose of defence is to wrap up the ball and put the man on his back. First and foremost try wrap around attackers arms and squeeze as hard as you can so there's no chance for the offload and since you've got the rib cage open 2nd man in drills hard to take the wind out of the sails and drives with legs in a sliding motion to stop momentum. Attacker is only going on his back from there.

That then allows for the two defenders to be square at marker much quicker as they have fallen forward and the attacker backward then which allows for defensive line to be set properly by the fullback as his only missing 2 defenders to account for. 3 man tackle take a similar stance but 1 HAS to peel early and not stay like the blokes do today.

Defensive decisions are an entirely different ball game. I've rambled on enough about d tbh and I'd gladly take up the role to show anyone how to effectively tackle.

4. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Defence always turns around really quickly.
    It's just attitude and keenness that makes a difference in defence.
    I don't know why the team's attitude changed after the Cronulla loss.
    I know why we had a bad attitude - Brown had managed to alienate half the side by playing favourites with all his recent signings, and the rest were playing like guys who knew they weren't wanted.
    There was a report after the Cronulla game that Brown had told the team that careers were on the line - and I suspect the team had a chance to tell Brown a few things as well - but whatever happened - big Dan decided to have a crack, and the rest seem to have followed. We don't just seem to have Mrs Brown's 4 or 5 golden boys having a lash now - the others are having a go too - which is most obvious in defence.

Wobbles and Beaumont like this.
  5. danknights

danknights Timana Tahu

Yeah I can agree to a certain extent @Billy but you can chase down attackers all day and attempt to tackle them but actually making the tackle effectively and with proper technique is what matters.

6. Chief Longhorn

Chief Longhorn Tony Herman

LOL!

packo likes this.
  7. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    Billy Billy get a grip on this Brown bias!

8. Hughburt6

Hughburt6 Charlie McAlister

I like brown but I can defiantly see he has his favourites. The fact he plays Barnett and buhrer with out really dropping them while they don’t perform but drops other players he didn’t sign, quickly after a poor performance is pretty obvious.

9. Beaumont

Beaumont Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Muscle checking and manipulation of greyhounds.
    I've been on and off the Brown bandwagon a hundred times. Apart from our ordinary defence my main gripe has been to me it's obvious he has favourites.

10. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    Guys all coaches have favourites. Some players carry out a coach's directions and others, being knuckleheads, continue with the same old stuff.

Jaybro likes this.
  11. Jaybro

Jaybro Scott Conley

This

There are reasons coaches have favourites which we probably can't see from the grandstand.

12. Jaybro

Jaybro Scott Conley

He's dropped Burher this season for multiple games

Also we don't really have anyone else to come in to drop these guys.

I can't think of many players who would still be on deals that Brown didn't broker?? Just Sione & Pat

13. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Clint Newton

Don't think Buhrer has actually been picked in first 13 this season, usually 14-17 or 18th man/injured, hasn't played reserves so does that qualify as never dropped.

14. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Being dropped out of the 17 would suggest being dropped.... yes?

15. Beaumont

Back row/utility next year for Sione according to Coach Brown.

88Knight4life likes this.
  16. krustykraz

krustykraz Craig Kimmorley

Also sporting news says a 2 year contract has been signed

17. 88Knight4life

If he could provide the impact off the bench that helps the team we will be happy.

Imo Yates provides great impact off the bench so Sione would need to be a upgrade on him or its a wasted spot in the 17 and our roster.

18. Beaumont

The problem for me with Yates is he offers zero with the ball(imo).

19. 88Knight4life

Well your kinda correct although he isnt used for that type of role, he comes on at lock and does a few runs with quick leg speed and quick play the balls with some sting in D.

We both know Sione taking hitups as a forward equals to stopped dead and usually man handled after contact.

Not disrespecting Sione here, i just hope he provides more than what we already have now in that role.

20. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Yates was making 200 metres in some games in NYC - similar metres to players like Tapine, Korbin and the Saifiti brothers in their prime.
    Even when he went up to reserve grade he made decent metres.
    He seems to have become a tackling machine since going up to firstgrade - maybe it's because he's small - maybe it's because he's told to tackle and let others do the running. Hard to know.

danknights likes this.