Sione Mata'utia re-signs with the Knights

Latrell Mitchell just re-signed with Roosters for $600k per season. There’s some risk involved with him, but he’s a legitimate strike centre who can also play wing and fullback. His potential is also through the roof. If that’s what he’s going for, no chance Sione sniffs $600k per season. I’m no Sione hater, but he is what he is. He’s solid, reliable, a good teammate, but not close to a game changer and doesn’t excel at anything in particular. There’s also the concussions. $400k max IMO.

It's a funny contradiction that many are talking about Pangai as a young bloke on the rise and Sione as an old guy who has had his chance and is now finished.
They are the same age.
Both started in our under 16s at age 14.
Both trained with our high performance juniors and developed at a very young age.
Both entered senior squads at 18.
Pangai turns 22 this year and has unlimited potential to improve.
Sione turns 22 this year and his best is behind him.

Hope Sione succeeds mate, his shown touches of class back at Centre and hope he improves, saw a disturbing charge out of the line last week in defence that was reminiscent of what cost Pete his NRL career, BUT if Sione can continue to run good lines, get his D in order and get some sort of ball skills and a cheeky grubby he could be a decent FG centre.

It's a funny contradiction that many are talking about Pangai as a young bloke on the rise and Sione as an old guy who has had his chance and is now finished.
They are the same age.
Both trained with our high performance juniors and developed at a very young age.

Dont think anyone is saying sione is done or old, the question was ( what if the sharks centre kills it? Where does that leave sione? )
I mentioned bench maybe as he can cover many spots.
Though i never stated his done or old and finished.
I also mentioned its rd3 2018 and who knows what the roster will be in 11 months time.

Ramien or Sione to wing? Not sure of ramien’s play style though
I reckon Ross will be on the outer come seasons end

They are the same age.

I get what you’re saying, but Sione entered the league a few years ago. He’s not a finished product being just 21, but this is him developed to an extent. Pangai Junior is much more raw, yet he’s doing what he’s doing right now (still early stages, but showing really nice glimpses). In this day and age, a huge front rower with decent mobility, good leg speed, a good offload and an enforcer defensively is of more value than someone like Sione who doesn’t necessarily have a true position. If he’s a centre, he’s solid at best. Likewise if he’s seen as a second rower. He’s somewhat a jack of all trades, master of none. He’s also just okay physically/athletically. Right now, Pangai Junior looks to have way more upside IMO.

So........ Say that Sione kills it more than that shark centre what does that mean for him?

Hahaha, well you would think he could maybe push for a wing spot or push for a start from reggies until injury hit.

Tbh, if Sione doesnt show anything great this yr it would be hard to keep him in first grade if a younger guy is of better value to the team.
Sione hasnt proven to be a standout in any role other than wing tbh, though id think he would need to drop 5kg to be anything of the winger he would need to be to match what other wingers are doing today.

Sione has already improved from round 1 to round 2. I believe he will continue to improve in the centres. Has he every had a full pre-season and a year of playing at centre?
Imo he will be a good centre come years end. I dont believe hes worth 600k though.

Sione has already improved from round 1 to round 2. I believe he will continue to improve in the centres. Has he every had a full pre-season and a year of playing at centre?
Imo he will be a good centre come years end. I dont believe hes worth 600k though.

2015 and 2016 he trained both off seasons and mostly played centre.

2015 and 2016 he trained both off seasons and mostly played centre.
He was 18 and 19. Im pretty sure he played between wing, fullback, centre and i think even 2nd row in 2016.
Imo he will be a good centre with the full off season he just had and a full season to make centre his spot.

He was 18 and 19. Im pretty sure he played between wing, fullback, centre and i think even 2nd row in 2016.
Imo he will be a good centre with the full off season he just had and a full season to make centre his spot.

I hope he does to, Sione killing it mean we have another x factor and more danger for other team to worry about.

I hope he does to, Sione killing it mean we have another x factor and more danger for other team to worry about.
If he keeps running lines and scoring trys like he did on Sunday, we will have Fitz, moga, Guerra and Sione doing it and giving the opposition defense headaches close to the line.
We just need work in defense.

Last edited:
Sione's very well built, physically. I imagine 1 on 1 he would very hard to handle. I hope for he's sake he's able to up his game to get a new contract. He's not a winger though, he lacks aerial ability.

Back