Sione Mata'utia re-signs with the Knights

Discussion in 'Knights Signings, Rumours & Player Movement' started by Kurriboy, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

If Sione has a great year it will be a big deal for the side.
    We don't really have a ready made replacement in the centres.
    If Sione and Moga play all games and go well - happy days.
    If either or both of them fail - **** creek, no paddle.

slotmachine likes this.
  2. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Todd Bates

We do have options but them having success is critical, the backup is good but not great, could be a case of weakening one position to strengthen another.

3. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

Centres are the least involved players in the game, as long as they hold their own we'll be fine. If we had as little depth/quality in any other position then it might be a problem.

4. Ethan

Ethan Mark Hughes

Imo Moga is a beast at centre he runs through and over the opposition regularly and as long as he gets the ball away cleanly were looking good because he has the best finisher in the club beside him in Ross ...Again just my opinion but Sione and Skd on the other side could be anything.
    Sione wasn't a bad centre and he is a better and far more experienced player now with a guy outside him who knows his way to the line being the 6th or 7th highest try scorer in the NRL...
    If these 4 guys can stay on the field with Ponga chiming in from F/B i think we will be looking real good in the backs better than we have for quite some time ...

5. danknights

danknights Mark Hughes

Welcome back mate. Most have missed ya. Hopefully we work both sides of the park so we can see what both our centres can do! Keen too see if sione can pull off being a decent centre.

Hows the lawn mowing going?.... Haha

6. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    The problem is Wests will want to avoid another Jimmy Mac scenario with court cases, insurance companies etc. They will adopt a wait and see attitude to how Sione goes and talk a contract late in the year.

Tasgirl likes this.
  7. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    Agree re deliver and deliver quickly, for 3 year's I've been hearing about potential with probably 6-10 good games, if he does get resigned on his consistant form it should be half of what his on now, god knows no other club would touch him.

8. Lord of the Skraelings

Good.

9. LEVR

LEVR Banned

6-10 good games haha

My best view of things is that most games he played, he played really well and was more often than not one of the best players in a knights jumper

Not sure what you're watching to be honest

Nafe, krustykraz and Beaumont like this.
  10. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Clint Newton

Posting in here as to not derail the other thread!

Playing devils advocate here, but any chance they are stalling Sion'e contract in the hopes of making a signing at Centre? They have signed Ramien for next year, promising Centre but possibly not a walk up NRL starter.

There has been talk of there being no secret we have been looking for another Centre, and with Sione's concussion issues and not really able to play in the forwards if we singed that Centre what happens to Sione then?

It makes me wonder.

11. LEVR

LEVR Banned

Prior to us signing Ramien I was inclined to just trust the club. But the signing is a clear sign of intent by the club. And if we look at the scenario for what it is, the club hasnt offered Sione a new contract. Moreover, they've actively recruited a player to play in his position for 2019

The writing is on the wall..

Unless they intend to play him on the wing. There literally is no other spot for him. I think it could be the case that the club wants more from a centre than they believe Sione can provide and at this stage Im inclined to agree with that

Wobbles likes this.
  12. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

These were the comments from Gardner before Sione was defintely playing centres & we were still hoping to sign someone:

The impression I got from that at the time was they were talking about a bench role with less minutes. I think Ramien has definitely been signed for a top 13 spot, so I think they might pursue with this. At this stage, they speak of Sione being a long term player, so that would mean one of Barnett, Guerra, Buhrer or Fitzgibbon might be out of favour by then.

13. LEVR

LEVR Banned

See I also view Sione as a long term player. But where the hell does he fit ?

14. Knighted

Knighted Nathan Ross

Engineer
    Somewhat agree. I think this is just a convenience buy. Seemed like we were notoriously thin on outside backs especially since Moga & Sione have long term injury concerns and we had the salary cap to buy a player with alot of potential.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

15. Ethan

Ethan Mark Hughes

Looks to me that Sione might be our go to guy on the bench he can cover F/B , Wing , Centre , Lock , 2nd row and if the hooker was injured he could cover there for part of a game if need be ... That would get rid of the fatigue Problem as well , Not saying that is what should or will happen but its an option ....Now that we have bought Jesse Ramien who i think has signed to play first grade or he would have stayed where he was ....

16. Ethan

Ethan Mark Hughes

It’s understood several NRL clubs were in the race to sign him but the cashed-up Knights produced a deal and pathway that was too good to knock back.....This says to me he has been signed as a 1st grade centre .....

17. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Todd Bates

We needed a good centre and by comments he must be ok, doesn't matter how Moga and Sione go, form and injuries, we needed a quality centre, we have plenty of young ones with potential but no ready replacement.
    As far as Sione goes think it's a bit of each way, see how he goes and what we have and offer accordingly.

Ethan likes this.
  18. Lord of the Skraelings

Taking the blinkers off do we see Sione as a Centre, he doesn't have a power running game, doesn't have a passing game and hurts himself frequently in defence.

The luxury the club has and good on us for using it to our advantage is that we don't have to worry about a bidding war and if someone does come along and grab him in the interim it saves us from our a very unpleasant situation of not signing a kid who was touted as our next big thing.

Now that Wests have taken over, even if he does get offered a contract unless he kills (LETS HOPE HE DOES) then his next contract won't be for his POTENTIAL, it will be for what he has delivered, and he'll be taking atleast a 40% pay cut I would say.

19. LEVR

LEVR Banned

Well yeah, it looks like Wests are just keeping their options open. They're probably thinking along the same lines we are.. if he kicks *** in 2018 we will find a spot for him, in the centres or elsewhere. If he struggles to shine then we will withold a contract offer until his manager gets the hint and begins fielding interest from elswhere

20. Lord of the Skraelings

Yep, nice to see we have grown up and we don't have to be so desperate like we've been since the Hages era.

LEVR likes this.