Sione Mata'utia re-signs with the Knights

Discussion in 'Knights Signings, Rumours & Player Movement' started by Kurriboy, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Sione has been added to the emerging origin squad - 4 knights in now - Lamb, Sione, Watson, DSaf.

Knighted and LEVR like this.
  2. LEVR

LEVR Banned

Waiting for his medical clearance

3. Beatell

Beatell Dean Carney

Not bad for someone that’s not 1st grade material

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joey1245 likes this.
  4. LEVR

LEVR Banned

5. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Half the squad has never played 1st grade

6. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

He will be training with Tevita Pangai for the first time since they were 15.
    They were the dynamic duo back in Mathews, but last time I saw them play against each other they ended up throwing punches.

7. slotmachine

Pangai Jnr is a monster.

Shame he moved away, he and the saf boys would be unstoppable

8. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

I reckon he'll come back one day. Whether it's in his prime or not, hopefully.

9. Chief Longhorn

Chief Longhorn Dave Woods

I will be very surprised if Sione doesn't play origin at some point in his career! The way he plays has origin written all over it!

LEVR and Beatell like this.
  10. slotmachine

At what position?

11. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    I've been a detractor of Sione but really hope he can ace it at Centre.

Beaumont and LEVR like this.
  12. LEVR

LEVR Banned

Hooker/fullback

13. Chief Longhorn

Chief Longhorn Dave Woods

Centre or edge backrow in the future. Just my opinion, I obviously see his ability and potential differently to some others!:shrug:

Beaumont and LEVR like this.
  14. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retail
    I really hope that the experience he’s gained since he last played there will be better for him in the long run. We have to remember that he was 18/19 when he last played out wide and has grown significantly since. I think he’ll do fine there and I’m excited to see the combination he can form with SKD.

15. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

I think there's a good chance he'll go better at centre now than before, so I'm glad he'll get the chance even if only temporary because we have no other centres. Though I can't see him playing Origin at centre, gritty backs don't really get the same kind of recognition that speedy, electric, flashy type backs like Tedesco, Trbojevic, Jennings, James Roberts etc. get. And the guys who are a bit less flashy, generally have a decent attacking game too or can finish, like Dugan or Ferguson.
    Sione hasn't shown a great running game for the backs, maybe if he becomes a Matt Gidley-type try assist guy he'll have a chance, I've seen him do it before.

I thought the best football he's played apart from that magic wing run was in the back row, he had plenty of good games, but his lack of size & head knocks got in the way. If there was a magic switch that could rectify the head knocks, then it wouldn't surprise me to see him play Origin eventually as a speedy, line running backrower with some ball playing.

16. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    I'm with you Joshhh. He may well play SOO as the current centre occupiers, in my opinion , Dugan and Hayne, each cost us game two in 2017 by hogging the ball. Hayne passes to Morris and he must score, similar Dugan not moving the ball to Ferguson.

One would like to think Freddy Fittler will have different selection thoughts to Daley.

17. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    Had a listen to him on 1269 am speaking about Origin, lot smarter than what you see on the TV. Raised some points on how QLD had the luxury of having their players spread over 3 clubs, and most played together each weekend if not then for QLD and then for Australia at worst.

Also how they had the culture of playing for eachother which NSW definitely hasn't had in the last decade.

His point of getting 40+ players was to let the young fella's know what was expected........

Very humble, very articulate fella, met him a few times at Roosters games his a lot deeper than I thought.

18. LEVR

LEVR Banned

Good point re matt gidley style centre. There are many ways to be affective

19. Wobbles

Wobbles John Schuster

Kinda reminds me of Luke Lewis in some ways.

Not only the way he transformed from winger to back rower, but his work rate and the lines he runs.

Maybe centre will turn out to be his best position, and the experience he gained by playing in the positions either side can only be seen as a positive.
    That'll come down to his defensive reads and ability to put away his winger. We'll find out soon enough.

20. krustykraz

krustykraz Dean Carney

Good point about Dugan. You know Ferguson has never scored a SOO try because he usually plays outside Dugan who doesn't pass.
    Great to hear that people rate Sione he's a great player. Good to see the NSW selectors see him as a future SOO player.
    Imagine if Moga and Sione play origin, that would leave us extremely short on centre's.