Sione Mata'utia may not be re-signed

Discussion in 'Knights Signings, Rumours & Player Movement' started by Kurriboy, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Beaumont

Beaumont Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Muscle checking and manipulation of greyhounds.
    5 years @ 800K per year.

2. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

Say Sione doesn’t get the all clear or we have a couple of injuries in the back row and Sione goes back there again, How does our backline look?
    SKD to the centres and Sio to wing? Hughes or Naden to come straight in?

3. LEVR

LEVR Banned

SKD to centre and Sio to wing would be very close to being a prefered FG pairing imo

That's how id do it

Unless one of the youngsters is looking really good, then Id give them a run on the wing ahead of Sio

4. Ethan

Ethan Adam Woolnough

Skd to centre and any one but Sio to wing

5. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Jason Allen

I'd be tempted to give younger one a go rather than Sio, Meaney, Hughes based on consistent high performance 2017, I think they deserve it, yes SKD to centre.

6. Wobbles

Wobbles Todd Anderson

This pre-season and the trial games are shaping up as pretty crucial one for fringe players looking to get a start.
    While most of the focus will be on competition between the forwards it'll be interesting to see how hard the backs will compete and develop their games.

No room for complacency from here on out. There'll be very few weak links this season you'd like to think so far.

7. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Meaney seems to have done everything to be the next in the pecking order, but the problem with him on the wing is that he just isn't a try scorer, and the one thing you want from a wing is to be hungry for tries.
    Chanel was the classic example. All through the grades he was a prolific try scorer, and in firstgrade he scored some that had you scratching your head wondering how he managed to get the ball over the line.
    I think Meaney has about 10 tries in 40+ games in his two years, and last year he was in a position to score a heap of times, and passed the ball instead.
    I notice Matt Cooper is still in the squad and is getting lot's of mentions. That guy is a try scorer. In under 16s he was top try scorer for the comp with something like 16 tries in 9 games, including 6 in one game. Last year he was on target for a try a game for a good part of the NYC season, but went off the boil towards the end of the season, after picking up a few injuries I think.

8. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Jason Allen

Agree Cooper is a try scorer but might be a bit young/raw yet. Meaney has played well and a year in reserves has been good for him, might become more of a try scorer on the wing rather than setting up others.
    Based on what I have said that makes Hughes the best option, can score tries and seems strong and confident.

9. Billy

Agree that Hughes has taken to the wing like a duck to water. Last year was his first year on the wing and he was top try scorer in the NSW cup comp and scored tries with his speed, strength, footwork and leap at different times. If we take into account that he was learning the position in 2017, he could improve a lot still, and he looks pretty good now.

10. BargeArse

BargeArse George Mann

I’m not going to get into the Sione debate, but this is a terrible comparison. “As far as I can see?” You must be extremely short sighted then.

Moga finished the back half of last season as one of the in-form centres in the comp. He was a genuine strike player and an absolute handful to contain in attack. He made a lot of opposing centres look silly. Also, his poor handling is way over exaggerated. Defensively he’s solid. He makes great contact, just needs to continue working on his reads, which will improve over time with more FG experience.

member 2299 and slotmachine like this.
  11. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    You forget Barge Arse he ain't a local. Far more important than playing ability!

12. Billy

Moga is the poster child for the "grass is greener" mentality.
    He is 24 and we are his 4th club. Clubs don't let good players go too often.

13. BargeArse

BargeArse George Mann

Grass is greener mentality? Umm, how is he not an upgrade and a coup for us? Firstly, we lost both of our starting centres from last season. Secondly, he had a far better year than both of them (Gagai seemingly only plays well for QLD and AUS).

Saying he’s 24 and this is his 4th club, like that’s some sort of slight on him as a player, you obviously don’t know his unlucky injury history or how highly touted he was coming through.

He was finally healthy last season and was able to put it all together. His progress from the start of the season to the end was remarkable.

As for clubs not letting good players go too often, uhh, that happens literally every season. As for Moga, Broncos simply couldn’t afford him after he severely out-played his contract with them. We had the money and the need so pounced. How that’s perceived as a negative, I have no idea.

Bring it home knights likes this.
  14. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Moga sucks.
    He made as many line breaks in the last 2 months of the 2017 season as Sione did in 40+ games in the centres, but he sucks.

Broncs went out a got Bird to play centre for $1m a year. I'll take Moga on $330k thanks.

15. Billy

Year after year, decade after decade, we have been signing guys who will be the new coming of Jesus Christ.
    They never are.
    A small percentage turn out to be good value for money.
    Most play a dozen games and everyone say, "Oh, that's why his last club let him go."
    Moga's record screams injury prone journeyman.

16. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    How's Dennis looking?

17. Billy

He went pretty bad in reserve grade but was a beast in under 20s when he went back.
    He was injured after 3 or 4 games of reserve grade and came back a few months later in under 20s - so a pretty ordinary year for him. Ankle injury I think it was.

18. Beatell

Beatell Wayne Richards

I watched him deliberately last year and he was woeful needs to improve a lot or this will be his last contract. Wasn’t even good at NYC level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Left Foot

Left Foot Troy Fletcher

Broncos signed Bird to replace Parker actually.
    They want to move McGuire to prop.
    But since Bird is injured he can’t train there during the preseason.
    He will probably start in centres before shifting to lock mid season.

On Moga he has talent no doubt but he’s very a dumb footballer.
    Though saying he’s a good defender obviously never watch him too closely.
    Donkey fans were happy to see the back of him.

20. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

He defends like Sione. Makes good contract but terrible reads.

Donkeys are dumb, bird will have a very short career in they're playing him in the middle.

Wobbles likes this.