sign or no

Discussion in 'Knights Signings, Rumours & Player Movement' started by Billy, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

David Bhana - no
    Brendan Elliot - sign
    Jaelen Feeney - no
    Lachlan Fitzgibbon - sign
    Jacob Gagan - no
    Sam Mataora - no
    Peter Mata'utia - sign
    Mickey Paea - no
    Pauli Pauli - sign
    Will Pearsell - sign
    Dylan Phythian - sign
    Tyler Randell - no
    Josh Starling - no
    Jack Stockwell - no
    Anthony Tupou - no
    Luke Yates - sign

2. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Matthew Gidley

As much as i hate to say it, id re-sign Starling over Pauli.
    Pauli wont ever be a nrl player.
    Starling aint much chop but his showed more then everyone bar the twins.

Id also be locking in,
    Tyrone Amey for 2yrs

If we get Watson? id not bother with Pearsall either. We would have
    Lamb,
    Hodko,
    Coggar,
    Phythian,
    Watson,
    as halves options.

Frank McWilliams likes this.
  3. Tubby

Tubby Jeff Doyle

Agree with all except for Pearsell, he has dropped too far down the pecking order

Jaybro likes this.
  4. nunnsy

nunnsy James Goulding

Yeah I mostly agree but would re-sign Starling unless we have a couple more prop signings to announce which I highly doubt.

5. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Max Chapman

Agree with most, Pauli and Pearsell at this time no. Some of our signings and younger players cover those positions as good or better with improvement likely, they have shown nothing to give them a chance. Think Starling will stay, Brownie favourite and at this time, all being fit is 3rd best prop in club.

6. Defender1

Defender1 Mark Hughes

Agree with most. I'd keep Randell (if we can't find a replacement for Kostjasyn) and Jacob Gagan too though.

7. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Paul the Chief Harragon

modern burlesque dancer
    Agree except for Purcell and Pauli.

8. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retail
    Sign: Elliot, Fitzgibbon, Pete, Pauli, Pythian, Starling, Yates.

Get rid of the rest.

9. Lynchyknight

Lynchyknight Todd Bates

Townsville - Wish I lived in Newcastle though
    Agree with all but one.. Cant stand Fitzgibbon running out with our team, in my opinion he would be the first to go

10. Matty23

Retail
    Really? I thought he was shyte and didn't want to see him in the team at the start of the year but now I don't want to see him out of it.

Lefty likes this.
  11. member 2299

member 2299 Andrew 'Joey' Johns

Retired
    Get used to it Lynchy Fitzy is staying.

12. Billy

Players turning 20 this year.

Brock Lamb - already signed
    Sam Stone - already signed
    Nick Meaney - already signed
    Jack Cogger - already signed
    Cory Denniss - already signed
    Cam King - big prop - part time squad
    Viko P - big prop who looks like Pauli Pauli's brother, only taller and thinner - part time squad
    Jack Johns - utility player - part time squad
    Eddy T - impact prop or second row - part time squad
    Jayden Butterfield - prop - sign
    Zac Hosking - lock or second row - sign
    Kainoa Gudgeon - no
    Henry Penn - no

Some of our other NYC players such as Saulo, Starling, Jones, Gibbs, Loughrey, Cooper, Croker, McIntyre, Musgrove, Andrews might be looked at for the fulltime squad, but they can all play 1 or 2 years more of NYC.

Frank McWilliams likes this.
  13. bboy_555

bboy_555 Mark Sargent

Yeah Fitz was pretty awful last year but he really has improved out of sight.

I've got just as high hopes for him as Sam Stone. Fitzgibbon reminds me a bit of an Ethan Lowe and I like that.

14. Billy

Fitz has improved a fair bit, but not as much as people think.
    Last year he got used as a prop and was thrown on when we were well on the back foot, and he looked pretty bad. This year he is being used in his preferred position of second row and is getting to go on when we are still in the fight, so he is getting a chance to shine. For the last 2 years he has been one of our better players in reserve grade - looking better than many who were in and out of firstgrade like Clint Newton etc.

15. Frank McWilliams

Like the look of this list, would like to see all those u/20 next year stay and have a chance to develop a bit more then move up if performing and developing.

16. Billy

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/4...hts-will-follow-him-out-the-back-door/?cs=306

This article from the Herald an hour ago says 10 or 12 new faces will replace 10 or 12 current players.

That isn't completely correct because the squad will be bigger next year, and also some places will go to NYC and part time players.

The article names 9 confirmed, probable or possible signings (including Lawrence, Maloney and Latu), so if we get all those, we are looking for between 1 and 3 more according to them.

17. Jaybro

Jaybro David Fa'alogo

+1

18. Frank McWilliams

Any opinions on retaining fringe/part timers.
    Hughes, Cronan, Amey, Robson, Taunoa-brown, Smith and Bernstrom.
    For mine, Hughes and Amey.

19. Matty23

Retail
    Hughes, Amey and Robson. The rest just wait and see.

20. Billy

Hughes, - currently leading the try scoring in reserve grade for any team, and I think he did the same for Souths 2 years ago. He was a centre/second row before this year, but the move to wing seems to have been good for him. He has scored tries through pace, footwork, jumping for high balls, and even by just barging over this year. Age is the only worry. I think he'll be 24 or so next year.

Cronan, - Since arriving he has been doing the most runs and most metres in about half his games. He looks a fair player, and his stats say he works really hard.

Amey, - He is a big lad and his workrate is really good, but he might still be a bit soft for firstgrade. He runs hard at the line, but most good props stop him pretty much dead when he hits the line. He has never had a firstgrade off season though, so I wouldn't be surprized if he is a much better player if he gets one. If he just stays the same size and has the same workrate, but has a bit more sting in his hitups, he will be better than a few we now have playing firstgrade.

Robson, - The former Australian schoolboy centre has had 2 firstgrade off seasons and this year looks to be a powerful little guy. He is basically a poor mans Sione. Too small for the forwards, too slow for the backs, but a powerful unit non the less.

Taunoa-brown, - looks like Tarzan, runs like Jane, but a very impressive workrate in defence.

Smith - hardest trainer at the club, and he looks like a bigger, more athletic version of Josh King to look at. What I like about him most is he loves to make tackles. He covers a lot of ground to get to tackles, and loves to get in there and rough guys up. I like him, but can't see him offering a lot in attack.

Bernstrom. - giant guy in his mid 20s who was very solid for Wyong for the last few years. We don't use him enough. I think he has longer minutes in him, and could be a starting prop in reserve grade. I don't know if he's ever had the chance to train fulltime. If not, I think he could have a lot of improvement in him if we give him a chance. He is taller than the Saifitis and pretty solid.

Lefty and Frank McWilliams like this.