Should NZer's Be Allowed To Play Origin?

Should NZer's Be Allowed To Play Origin?

• YES

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • NO

Votes: 16 80.0%

• Total voters

knight-no-7

This has been the talking point, as of lately. With SBW comming out and saying he wants to play for NSW. Your thoughts?

I think once you pledge your alliance to a country ie. SBW to NZ then you shouldnt be allowed to play Origin. If anyone watched the Footy show, Dailey made a good point regarding this, and keeping our local talent/ the emotions of Origin footy etc.

Thoughts?

Williams Desperate To Play Origin

Last edited:
I'm against it. If you're already playing for NZ, and still want to play for NSW, that's basically saying you're playing for part of Australia.

Stick to one side, and keep the tradition.

I could go on about this, though I'll just say no. Kiwis or anyone else for that matter SHOULD NOT be eligible to play origin if they've already represented their country.

I could go on about this, though I'll just say no. Kiwis or anyone else for that matter SHOULD NOT be eligible to play origin if they've already represented their country.

Yea, as they were saying on the FShow, with the no of influx in polyasian players, there's going to be alot of youngsters that will need to make that choice, either AUS or NZ.

I can see how players find it attractive but no, it's not a good idea. Perhaps this sheds some light on how poor the international game is in relation to Origin.

Sorry but State of Origin is Qld Vs NSW. Maybe the winner of State of Origin could play the Kiwi's in a test or something but no way should we let them play for a state.

Sorry but State of Origin is Qld Vs NSW. Maybe the winner of State of Origin could play the Kiwi's in a test or something but no way should we let them play for a state.

Yea im with that too. If NZers were allowed to play, then i think Origin would loose its spark.

Nope! You've made your decision, you have to live with it.

If you want to play for New Zealand, even if you were born and raised in Australia, you rule yourself out of Origin. Pure and simple.

And you shouldn't be able to pick and choose which nations you play for. If you've chosen to play for Fiji, PNG, Tonga, USA, etc., you cannot play for Australia or New Zealand.

You've made your bed, you sleep in it.

The thing that gets me as much as i LOVE the poly boys as you would know, but there are things that need to be noted. The emotion of origin was spoken about last night i dont think they understand it, its easy to say you want to play it but it just CANNOT happen. Also theres something like 40% Polynesian guys in every club these days, i would hate to see them take over origin. Its something thats taken 27 years to get here it is and i don't think tradition should be over turned like that.

Put it this way. Say your a bolter for playing for NSW second row right then they go and change the rules to let NZ's play origin and you lose that spot that was preety much yours to Sonny Bill or Fui Fui.
I Wouldnt be happy.

I think they should be allowed only if they choose to play for australia over NZ which I doubt any of them will Tonie Carroll did it and there wasn't an uproar about it

Last edited:
Simple answer is that it shouldnt happen. I can see how the poly players would want to play it cause as SBW said they pretty much only get to play like one game a year for NZ and can see how it would seem unfair to them. This year will obviously be different because of the WC.

In future years though i think there needs to be more international games, to satisfy these poly players.

Im a Kiwi and as much as I love State of Origin I think its an Australian thing and New Zealanders should not be able to play.

Quite frankly I think the whole Kiwis playing for Aust thing is a joke. What determines a Kiwi and what determines an Australian? People picking and chosing is stupid! You should be made to play for the country in which you hold the passport of.

Simple answer really, no, I can't believe this was even brought up.

If he wants more international matches go play rugby yawnion.

I think the idea of the winner of origin playing nz is a good one. I also think that the new zealand/australia thing should be country of origin too not choose your team.

What would the point be of that ?

It would be interesting, gives NZ more games and at least have involvment in origin. Im not saying this would be the right thing to do but the bottom line is - the NZ team needs more games.

Well if they need more games why are they pulling out of the Anzac test match after this year ? :rolleyes:

Here it is:

frizzed said:
jamesgould said:
Australian clubs are too scared to host it and risk losing.

Brisbane in 2007 was the perfect opportunity, they would have got a huge crowd at Suncorp ... but not only did they not play it in Aus, Brisbane tried to get out of it altogether!

Just like NZRL pulling out of the Anzac test match after this season because they get a cricket score put on them year in year out.

Not at all, the reason the ANZAC test is being abandoned is because New Zealand are never able to field a full strength team, the players that are there are unable to become a team within the week lead up, and ultimately, it devalues the international game.

Just look at the results after the Tri Series' of 2005 and 2006. After those tournaments you would say New Zealand was the equal of Australia ... the ANZAC tests were all still blow outs though. I think it was either give up on it, or treat it properly - enforcing UK clubs to release NZ players, and give the players the week off club duties beforehand - as happens with the State of Origin.

It also didn't help that it hadn't been played in New Zealand since 1998 - when the idea first started it was meant to alternate annually between the two countries. 1998 is the only clash that NZ ever won, I might add.

The ANZAC test has been haulted because it was only doing damage to the international game ... playing the WCC in Australia would be a big boost to the game, and (hopefully) prove the doubters wrong that say the UK sides only compete because of the home advantage and Australian players being out (I assume that if it was played in Australia, the Australian side would field a full-strength outfit).

One last thing to say - most of the players that miss the match are recovering from off-season surgury, and the British sides are usually missing players for the same reason.

Back