Rumour: Knights looking at Maloney

Also we can sign all the classy halves (foran, Maloney bird), fullbacks (ponga hayne) & centres we want but until we get some forwards who constantly punch out over 100m a game we will struggle. Yeah a hayne or a foran can win us a game or 2 here or there. But until we are hunting the likes of graham woods cordner gillet vaughn we will continue to be cellar dwellars.

Im already seeing people think everything will change once ponga arrives and im worried for the kid. Hes been our 1 single signature for the 2018 season, if we loose with him there i can see everyone jumping on him saying he's not worth it
No one thinks Ponga alone will change the club.

Yes Pauli another min contract deal no one else will offer him 1 and 2nd tier for Mataora or real NRL for a pie and chips contract.

When you look at the elite players wages and how they have sky rocketed over the last decade from about 500-750k up to 800-1.2m and for truly specials players like JT,Smith,Cronk even more than that I would not be surprised to see guys like Sio and Ross to be on 250-350k. Going back five years those sort of players and young guys like the twins and Lamb would have earned 100-250k max but with the way the cap has increased you can add about 50-100k on top of what they used to earn those players may not have seen their wages explode like the top players have been they would still have seen a decent growth in wages.

Last edited:
JT is reported to be on 1mil and at least 200k of that is tpa.
Cronk and smith with Slater have stayed for less butvare still on 800k plus.

DCE atm is the highest paid player in the nrl at 1.1mil a yr.

Tolman would want 700k to play for us, so you wouldn't be getting kasiano as well for the price of graham. I'd pick graham every day of the week.

You say Barnett gets tired but want Fatiano to play lock? He's only good for 10 minutes at a time. Tolman is a worker but he has to take a lot of runs to make his metres and he takes hitups after graham, kasiano and klemmer. He'd get bashed as number one prop up here.

For a team that's one two games in two season we're in good stead? Brownie should give coaching away and get into PR, he'd make heaps more money.
You seem a bit hard to please mate.
Its called a rebuild for a reason. We were put into this mess long before brown took over.

Would you rather 5 or so wins this year with a smaller chance to play for a premiership in 3 years time? Or would you rather look back on these last 2 years when we are a consistent strong force both on the field and recruitment wise and say "those 3 spoons were worth it".

I was being realistic in regards to taking tolman instead of graham because i know graham won't be coming here. Tolman wouldnt ask for 700k at any club, thats more then blokes like maloney frizzell and Moylan are on who all play rep football.

Also regarding my reasoning behind moving Barnett out of lock. When you play the middle in first grade you get the football coached out of you. Barnett is an extremely good ball playing big man who is suited perfectly to an edge. Hes only playing middle because we have no other bigger bodies...

We've got to factor in the cost of living between here and sydney also. If we offer foran 1.2m and say the dogs offer him 1m he'd be saving easily 150k more by living in Newcastle.

Jack birds reasoning was he might get overlooked for rep sides by playing for us, this also is something foran will not have to worry about seeing as long as hes fit he will get picked for nz.

I think dogs are about $1.10 favourites for his signature at the moment but we are a $3 chance imo. It'll all depend on cronk, looking through the Sydney teams i think the dogs are the only option for him. So lets all hope he goes to belmore because that means we'll get foz

We've got to factor in the cost of living between here and sydney also. If we offer foran 1.2m and say the dogs offer him 1m he'd be saving easily 150k more by living in Newcastle.

Jack birds reasoning was he might get overlooked for rep sides by playing for us, this also is something foran will not have to worry about seeing as long as hes fit he will get picked for nz.

I think dogs are about $1.10 favourites for his signature at the moment but we are a $3 chance imo. It'll all depend on cronk, looking through the Sydney teams i think the dogs are the only option for him. So lets all hope he goes to belmore because that means we'll get foz

If I were making that kind of money, I wouldn't care about the difference in price to where I lived, as long as I was where I was happy.
In saying that, **** living in Sydney, just move to Newy because it's better

That would be the maloney who isn't off contract? Reynolds is a spaz, he would be so very ordinary playing behind our pack.

That would be the maloney who isn't off contract? Reynolds is a spaz, he would be so very ordinary playing behind our pack.
He's on $450k a year at the Sharks. You don't think if we offered him $700 a year for 3 years he'd find an out in his contract?

Please no to widdop. We neef forwards

Reynolds is far from the most talented halfback in the competition but his attitude and never say die attitude is exactly the kind of leadership our young blokes need.
He has been my absolute favourite player for a long time

Since it looks like we've missed out on signing a marquee half for next year and Hodko looks like he's done we will have to start looking at alternatives unless we just go with Lamb & Cogger

Carney - no thanks
Reynolds- doubt he'll come
Mybe - doubt he'd help
Sandow - hmmm
Tyrone - looks a good player now
Sam Williams - playing good footy wouldn't be the worse for a 1-2 year deal

Guessing we will go hard for Maloney next year when he's off contract but until then ......

Thoughts ?

Since it looks like we've missed out on signing a marquee half for next year and Hodko looks like he's done we will have to start looking at alternatives unless we just go with Lamb & Cogger

Carney - no thanks
Reynolds- doubt he'll come
Mybe - doubt he'd help
Sandow - hmmm
Tyrone - looks a good player now
Sam Williams - playing good footy wouldn't be the worse for a 1-2 year deal

Guessing we will go hard for Maloney next year when he's off contract but until then ......

Thoughts ?

I haven't discounted Foran but I'd also be all in on Cronk would bring our juniors along a treat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't discounted Foran but I'd also be all in on Cronk would bring our juniors along a treat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The reason he's leaving Melbourne is to go to Sydney. He won't come here if he can go to a Bulldogs/Tigers/Souths etc.

It's getting close to the point where we almost shouldn't bother signing a half. If our options are guys like Josh Reynolds, Frawley, Mbye, then maybe we should just run with Cogger, Phythian or god forbid, @Ethan will love this, Ponga in the halves.

Apart from tigers Sharks have money cause Bird left. Storm could offer Milf 1.2m a year since Cronk left. Dragons in the market too. Time will tell but doesn't look fantastic.

What happened to that article just posted about us being interested in Cronk? That Gidley said they will be doing everything in their power to sign him. Cronk expected to make decision following origin series.

<Edit> There it is again :)

How many seasons is Cronk looking to play for?

What happened to that article just posted about us being interested in Cronk? That Gidley said they will be doing everything in their power to sign him. Cronk expected to make decision following origin series.

<Edit> There it is again :)

How many seasons is Cronk looking to play for?
I deleted it... posted it then remembered the Herald won't let us cut and paste it, so I added the link

Back