Rumour: Knights chasing Isaac Luke

Discussion in 'Knights Signings, Rumours & Player Movement' started by mullenmagic, Sep 5, 2018.

1. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    For mine Mason Lino would be a far better buy than an aged, broken winged Isaac Luke.

Wobbles likes this.
  2. Chief Longhorn

Chief Longhorn Dean Carney

I strongly agree!
    That is an absolutely disgraceful attitude, if true!
    Just another example of his selfish tendencies both on and off the field, no one person is bigger than the team!
    Except Ponga!:)

3. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Every player has to look out for himself in these days of professionalism.
    If the Knights make it very clear they don't want Levi, or only as a reserve grader, he has a perfect right to go looking for someone who does want him.
    If that wasn't true, Pearce would be a Rooster and would be playing a grandfinal on the weekend.

4. R_A

R_A Darren Albert

Uni Student, Investor, Entrepreneur
    Would Danny Levi straight up walk into several NRL teams if he became a free agent tommorow? Teams don't set aside salary cap so they can pounce when a Danny Levi becomes available.

5. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

I never know what to say to the "all our players are ****, but rejects from other clubs are worth billions" brigade.

He's 23 years old, just coming into his prime, nz rep player. Coaches are breaking their necks to sign players like that, while we want a busted up 31 year old looking for a pension.

6. knightime

knightime Steve Walters

I don't understand why Levi would want to seek a release. He is a very good player, I don't think too many people doubt that. However, he is not quite up to being an 80-minute hooker at the moment. He offers much more coming off the bench when opposing forwards are fatigued. Another hooker for that first 20-40 minutes would be ideal and would help Levi exploit his own strengths IMO.

In any case, the talk is a 1-year deal with Luke for an option for an additional year in the Club's favour. Compare that with Levi's own deal, which at the time was an extension for another 3 years. Although Luke and Levi are at different stages of their careers, surely the deal offered to Levi suggests that he is an important cog in their plans for some time to come. Why would he think that Luke potentially coming means anything otherwise? Why would Levi not accept the challenge to knuckle down and earn his spot in the top 17?

That said, Yates was our ISP player of the year and wasn't picked over some of our other struggling players. So using Yates as an example, I can see why any player in our Club would have doubts that hard work and results in reggies generally results in selection for first grade.

Lefty and Tasgirl like this.
  7. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Clint Newton

I think it is pretty clear Levi and Brown don't see eye to eye. Signing a 3 year deal shows the club wants you there in some capacity, but dumping you to reserve grade when you just made the world cup for NZ, not even able to get a spot on the bench in hooker rotation and the coach opting for Buhrer there instead time and again certainly doesn't give you much faith.

Then, as the hooker that replaced you gets injured long term and you look like getting a decent run in first grade, but the club tries to sign an over the hill hooker, the same hooker you bumped from the NZ test squad, I can get his frustration.

I am sure he is imagning Luke waltzing in taking the hooker role, with Buhrer again on the bench leaving him in reserves.

Unfortunately it appears with Brown, the players he don't like have no chance, yet those he does can do nothing wrong.

8. Quinny

Quinny Neil Sweeney

Student
    Levi is very good dummy half and I get his frustration but I don’t think Brown is playing favourites when it comes to sidelining Levi. Levi is still making the same errors in decision making especially in the attacking 20 that he was a few years ago and overplays his hand instead of letting the half build pressure, that is why Griffin was preferred. Their hasn been a fair bit of improvement from Levi but he still produces some costly errors and especially late in the tackle count needs to just focus on getting the ball in Pearces hands.

cowboyman and Lefty like this.
  9. krustykraz

krustykraz Nathan Barnes

10. mullenmagic

mullenmagic Matt Jobson

Knights have gone cold on Luke and are now looking at Segeyaro according to The Mole.

11. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Clint Newton

Segeyaro, not sure I like this, Levi will have a smile on his face, Segeyaro's game is very up and down.

12. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

And Levi’s isn’t?

member 2299 and slotmachine like this.
  13. krustykraz

krustykraz Nathan Barnes

Segeyaro is a good bench hooker and his signing will hopefully keep Levi happy.
    He should also come cheaper than Luke.

14. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Why are we trying to keep a dumb and selfish player who chucks a tantrum when challenged happy again?

15. Wobbles

Wobbles Brad Godden

I expect that the recruitment of a quality backup hooker to partner or supplant Levi is a short- to mid-term objective.

The end game has to be the grooming of a young, gun hooker capable of punching out a solid 80 minutes every week. It's obvious that Levi is out of favour and possibly not seen as the top hooker in the club into the future. Hopefully he takes this as an opportunity rather than a threat and comes good.

Maybe they'll give Starling an opportunity to prove that guy is him, possibly someone younger currently coming through. Billy is probably well-placed to provide commentary on other prospects.

We've had a succession of make-shift hookers since Danny retired, we can't keep going down this route indefinitely.

Tasgirl likes this.
  16. Frank McWilliams

Meant Levi would prefer Segeyaro's instead of Luke in his quest to remain the 9, Levi and Segeyaro's are similar with hot and cold form. Not saying want Levi just that for long term future he is best option taking age into it, give me Griffin but that will have to wait.

17. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

I doubt highly that our recruitment efforts for a hooker are to find a backup. Guys like Luke or Segeyaro are going to start, with Levi coming off the bench, if even in the side. Same as Griffin.

18. Frank McWilliams

Think Luke is gone and Levi is better option than Segeyaro who might come of the bench, but it ain't great.

19. krustykraz

krustykraz Nathan Barnes

20. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Clint Newton

Good, the guy is finished. Looking for that last paycheck in to retirement.