Rumour: Knights chasing Connor Watson

Discussion in 'Knights signings and rumoured signings' started by beau, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Joey1245

Joey1245 Tony Townsend

N
    not disagreeing as I said I think he fits well with lamb also we aren't coaches and there was nrl coaches after him plus his current coach wanted to keep him so there must be something there! Also won player of Auckland nines. His body looks more nrl ready then what we have but that's cool let's keep feeney and lamb! I agree with the forwards issue but I think we are making progress in that area I think we need to chill and let it all unfold plus nothing is official so I don't even know why this is on here hahahah

2. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

3. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

I agree, that's the worry with signing halves. Watson could come here & not be any better than Lamb, while Lamb/Cogger could go to the Roosters & look like a star. But it's better than sitting around twiddling our thumbs, gotta sign the talent that's on offer & hope that Browny can bring in some big monsters for the forwards.

4. josh2010

josh2010 Up The Knights!!!!! Staff Member Moderator

1 ponga
    6 Watson
    7 maloney
    9 Levi
    14 Lamb

Lamb shifts into the halves and Watson to hooker when levi comes off. Thats what i would love to see?

5. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

It's not favourable to be interchanging halves during the game, there wouldn't be much point to it apart from keeping Lamb happy. If Maloney comes, don't think Lamb or Cogger will wait 3 years until he retires unfortunately.

6. Tubby

Tubby Ben Rogers

Rossdog said Connor is on his way to the club next year on Matty Johns show

Joshhh likes this.
  7. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Paul the Chief Harragon

modern burlesque dancer
    Yeah nah changing ur halves is a dumbarse move midgame.

Lamb to regies or trains as hooker in the preseason which I think he'd have the toolset for

8. Simon Templar

Simon Templar Michael McKeirnan

Project Manager
    Lordy, it is a deadset lottery where anyone will play next year , you can guarantee the spine will be changed up depending on the results of a testing Pre season.

Lets just hope whatever happens it is successful and we have the depth to make adjustments as the year progresses.

9. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Comments from Browny

“It is well documented we have spoken with Connor and he’s a player that we feel can certainly help our squad and again he’s consistently making a top four team,” added Brown.

“He’s certainly a player that if the Roosters want to let him go, we’d certainly be interested in him.”

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2017/07/18/mine_coach_s_say_rou.html

10. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Adam Muir

Assuming we won't hear anything official until after the roosters game.

Tasgirl likes this.
  11. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retail
    Matt Logue says we'll be announcing it early next week.

12. Knighted

Knighted David Boyd

Engineer
    +1

IMHO if we sign Watson, I wouldn't mind seeing us stick with the kids for a couple of years at least i.e., Lamb, Cogger and possibly Phythian. As much as it would be nice to grab Maloney, I wouldn't want him at the expense of losing young talent.
    Sick of seeing our juniors playing well for other teams... :brickwall:

13. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Who are these juniors?

If we're talking about rep players that get bandied around in the last 20 odd years there has been;

Boyd Cordner - poached
    Josh Jackson - not from Newcastle, played one year for knights juniors
    Latrell Mitchell - never played for knights juniors, didn't make the team
    Greg Bird - poached
    Aiden Tolman - never played for knights juniors
    Willie Mason - never played for knights juniors, didn't make the team
    Michael Ennis - played first grade, only left cause he was behind Bedsy

In recent times we're seen Edwards, Rochow, Clydesdale all end up in NSW Cup. Tapine is stinking it up at the Raiders. Tyrone is making a good go of it at the Titans, ditto Kurt Mann at Dragons.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017 at 12:28 PM
  14. Joey1245

Joey1245 Tony Townsend

I actually agree I think we should stick with youth in the halves even keep hokko around for another year

Knighted likes this.
  15. Tubby

Tubby Ben Rogers

This. If anything I think we persist with some juniors too long which costs us quality imports to bring in

slotmachine likes this.
  16. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

See all the comments above Tubbs. We don't want the NSW half because some kid might be good in three years time. Despite the fact we have developed one legit rep player (Aku) since Gids and everyone hated him by the end. LOL.

17. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

All the extra money Tinkler put into the juniors means we no longer lose good juniors. In fact, guys like Feeney (from Bulldogs), Levi (from Cronulla), Tapine (from Warriors) and about a dozen who haven't made firstgrade, are guys we have poached from other systems.
    We still lose a few - this weekend we see Nick O'Meley line up against us for the Roosters in NYC, against guys like Starling, Cooper, Jones, McIntyre, Gibbs etc who he played with in our under 16s - but we keep the ones we want to keep now.

The high performance unit set up by Bennett and Graham Murray with Tinkler money has so far produced Levi, Sione, Sam Stone, Brock Lamb, Jack Cogger, and guys like Tom Starling, Brodie Jones, Matt Croker and others will hit firstgrade very shortly.
    The club decided to keep spending the extra money on the high performance unit, which means we have guys coming through who have had firstgrade standard coaching and training since they were 14, which is why guys like Stone and Lamb and Starling have skill levels of guys in their mid 20s when they are in their late teens.
    I used to be able to remember all our juniors who made rep sides because we had 2 or 3 a year. Last year I think it was about 15 and I have no hope of remembering them all now. Freddy Fittler said in his profile of Cooper Jenkins for the under 16s rep side that he was "one of those kids from Newcastle that knows his job back to front", which is what you see now.
    This is a golden age of juniors for the Knights. We have never seen juniors like these, and they are starting to hit firstgrade in the next 2 or 3 years.

I think Tevita Pangai, who lined up against us last week, is the first guy who was in our high performance juniors who has lined up against us in firstgrade.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017 at 2:19 PM
    Frank McWilliams likes this.
  18. Jonno

Jonno The 18th Man

Mining Engineer
    As I said before, There is nopoint keeping a team of young promising players long-term.

They need experienced players around them in the right positions in order for them to reach their full potential.

I'd happy give up a guy like Lamb or Cogger in order to get Maloney, if it improves the chances of guys like Sione, Saifitis, Levi, Ponga, Watson etc. reach the next level.

slotmachine likes this.
  19. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

That sounds great in theory.
    In practice, we have bought guys like Hodko, Steve Walters, Kosjaysyn, Steve Linnane and maybe some other experienced playmakers I've forgotten, and just like 9 out of 10 imports in any position, they have been complete duds for us.
    Only 1 of Brown's imports this year has been worth feeding (Buhrer).
    I agree that we should spend all our salary cap next year to improve our roster, but we'll be lucky if half our imports live up to all the hype, and it's not the way to eternal salvation that many seem to think it is.
    The "grass is always greener" mentality lets us down every time.

Newcastle_knights and Knighted like this.
  20. Knighted

Knighted David Boyd

Engineer
    +1

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk