Round 9: Newcastle Knights vs South Sydney Rabbitohs

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by rhugh89, Apr 28, 2018.

?

What is your prediction for this game ??

Poll closed May 4, 2018.
  1. Knights 13+

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  2. Knights 1-12

10 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Draw

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  4. Rabbitohs 1-12

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. Rabbitohs 13+

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  1. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Todd Bates

Is it difficult making all this up or am I wrong and Sione won't be signed by Knights and no one else will want him cause he is hopeless and his time is up, and you know cause you heard it straight from the horses ***

2. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    Welcome to 3 years ago.

3. Lord of the Skraelings

Oh dear. You are just being silly little one.

4. Lord of the Skraelings

2 passes in 2 years, 1 clean intercept in 3, no clean line breaks, dozens of bad defensive reads.

Honestly let go of the bottle he's been around a few years and is only going back in form.

Joey1245 likes this.
  5. danknights

danknights Mark Hughes

Ahh love my home brew. 33c per 750ml and about 35 bucks for 23 litres eqivalent to 2 and a half cases. My back pockets feels better!

Joey1245 likes this.
  6. Frank McWilliams

How's the head though

Joey1245 likes this.
  7. danknights

danknights Mark Hughes

Perfect hahaha

Joey1245 likes this.
  8. Lord of the Skraelings

homebrewers get better head hahaha

Joey1245 likes this.
  9. Lord of the Skraelings

Yep and you can brew to how u like it as well.

Joey1245 likes this.
  10. Chief Longhorn

Chief Longhorn John Schuster

I bet Sione would completely stuff it up if he tried to make home brew!

11. Frank McWilliams

He would only get it half done, wouldn't no what to do when finished brewing "he's not a bottler"

12. R_A

R_A Clint Newton

Uni Student, Investor, Entrepreneur
    So I am gonna put on my devil's advocate cap on for a moment to see if there is a plausible alternative rather then throwing him on the NRL scrap heap. And everyone here will probably disagree with me here and throw the suggestion out the window because everyone is over him (myself included) but i'll propose it.

The first step involves re-signing Sione to a much lower level contract then what he is on now. $150-$250k which whoever is managing him will probably baulk at, because theyll throw in the 'played for Australia' card and the such. Itll likely be a 1-2 year deal and if its 2 its likely in the clubs favour with 'wests KPIs' type of thing from the above amount. Plus there is probably literally no supply and demand for him at the moment.

Anyway the plan would be to send him to a full spell in reserves for a season to work on his issues in defense and to get his confidence back up. Have the coaches work on his defence in a lower pressure competition and against some good but many guys who likely would never make it to first grade. And against up and coming teens with a point to prove.
    Now people will say 'hes had years to fix it' been here since he was 18 etc. But he's also been coached by guys who had tunnel vision and expect him to get by on his talent. And maybe us Knights fans have similar expectations. However he is 21, and has been brought through the Knights through the junior systems so I think if he hits 23-24 and has still not figured it out then maybe see ya later. But, if he knuckles down in reserves and has the goal of playing first grade again he will do everything in his power to get there. MAYBE towards the end of the season (dont tell him) if he has shown outstanding improvement and there are injuries or the Knights need a spark or something promote him back in (with no guarantee). But if the coaches do not see a sufficient improvement overall then do not take up the 2nd year option, simple.

And at the end of the day at least we can say we tried...

13. Knightsobsessed

Knightsobsessed Scott Carter

So your saying the defensive coaches don't teach him now because of tunnel vision

14. Frank McWilliams

R__A is pretty close to the mark and should satisfy most with Sione. I am more than happy for him to be signed at a reasonable fee as a centre and he will then be in the melting pot with other such as Moga and Ramien and any others signed. If his form warrants selection in first then good if not he plays reserve. Based on everything we know of him then a 1 year with option for 2nd seems fair, if he stars he can be further signed and upgraded, just like anyone else, if he fails then he most likely won't be signed again

15. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

I often wonder when I read this stuff about Sione if I was the only one who saw that Moga guy go around.
    The only guy i'd compare Moga to would be Russell Richardson. In fact, if Moga buys a pub now, he will be the perfect Russell Richardson doppelganger.

16. Ethan

Ethan Mark Hughes

Moga only played a few games with us and didn't go that well but was improving , the thing is he had a very interrupted off season ..
    I watched him a fair bit last year though and he was playing very good footy for the Donkeys and almost every game for the year he was starting centre , not sure Sione would get 1 game as starting centre let alone almost every game for them ...
    Just my opinion but a fit Moga would be my centre over Sione every week but i wouldn't have Ross outside him imo they don't get on ...
    I still think Sione can make a good centre if he can just get his reads in defence right ...

17. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

I'm sure everyone saw moga and sione be in our worst few players most weeks.

18. R_A

R_A Clint Newton

Uni Student, Investor, Entrepreneur
    No I mean Wayne Bennett gave him his debut when he turned 18 which was coincidently the time he decided to quit on the knights so he's not his problem. Stone well who knows what he was doing when he was picking the same players letting him down every week.
    Under Brownie he's played a few positions? Back row, centre, halfback? Haha
    Played at fullback under Bennett too? Memory is vague

Even today he was able to have a bit of a dig and I'm not saying its entirely the knights but its upto him too. The guy isn't a walking headline off the field so it's te least we can do.

That and he ain't getting picked over Moga if healthy and Ramien

Plus I'd rather the money go toward someone like him then a reject chasing a paycheque like carney

Frank McWilliams and slotmachine like this.
  19. Ethan

Ethan Mark Hughes

I would have thought Carneys pay check in the SL would have been a lot bigger than what he would get in the NRL ...