Round 7: Newcastle Knights vs Sydney Roosters

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by rhugh89, Apr 9, 2017.

?

What is your prediction for this game ??

Poll closed Apr 14, 2017.
  1. Knights 13+

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Knights 1-12

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. Draw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Roosters 1-12

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  5. Roosters 13+

9 vote(s)
    56.3%
  1. Tim

Tim David Fa'alogo

What last night highlighted for me is our lack of actual quality props. It's not just bad it's absolutely atrocious. Our halves are doing terribly too but I'd be interested to see how they go once we have some decent go-forward.
    On a side note I thought Sio was brilliant, best game in Knights colours.

2. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

God this talk about how brave and competitive they are is crap. It's their job ffs. They were poor last night and last week and this talk about them being not far off is rubbish. We were the worst team in the NRL last year and are still comfortably the worst team in the NRL this year. We're only slightly less pathetic now. It's nothing to celebrate.
    The 21,000 who showed up deserve so, so much better.

slotmachine and Beaumont like this.
  3. knights22

knights22 Adam Woolnough

At no point last night did we look competitive, we were never in it. Good to see Hodko is still learning new skills at his age, if he doesn't attempt a tackle, it can't be counted as a missed tackle!

Beaumont likes this.
  4. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retail
    This is what I said on Twitter last night. The "being competitive" excuse can't be used anymore, we need to WIN. Being close in every game but coming up short won't make this team any better, their confidence will be shot if we keeping falling short week after week. We could potentially be 5/7 if we weren't executing so poorly and our forwards doing a job.

Tasgirl likes this.
  5. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

With Mullo sidelined, the fact that we haven't spent a large portion of our salary cap and almost no TPAs, the Roosters squad was on basically twice the salary of our squad.

MisterLevy likes this.
  6. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Matthew Johns

Is that an excuse we can use?

Seems rather poor that we as fans have to keep looking for excuses to justify the lack of ability on the field every week.

Every other nrl team plugs holes for 12mths with players that are not great but solid, Brown seems to only wanna sign players to fit into the future plan of the team.... the present doesn't seem to be a big issue to him imo.

Though us the fans deserve better then this crap!!

Right now from 2015 to rd7 2017 we have 10wins 1 draw 45losses grrrrrr

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  7. Billy

It's a fact.
    I've never understood this "excuse" business - facts are facts - you can either accept the reality of them, or live in some fantasy world where facts don't make a difference - up to you.

8. 88Knight4life

Me in a fantasy world? Me?
    In the business world u normally invest to gain positive returns yes?
    I dont understand why we are sitting on over a mill and not trying to plug our middle with a couple of guys from Qcup or NSW cup that have 30-50nrl games already to try at least get extra experience in the team and go forward.

Guys that come to mind are

Jeff Lima
    Peni Terepo
    Matt white
    Luke page
    Joe ofahengaue

9. Beaumont

Beaumont Paul the Chief Harragon

Muscle checking and manipulation of greyhounds.
    If we don't get a few experienced hard heads in real quick the younger forwrds will be punch drunk by their 21st.

88Knight4life and Tasgirl like this.
  10. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Chris Joynt

There are those of us who have hit the reset button with Browny signing, and figure the past is the past, horrible in recent times, but once we signed Browny we started a new rebuild and this needs to be given the time to develop.

There are some who look at the pre and post brown times as one in the same, they want results to improve now, they want the signings now, and if they don't see improvement they want Browns head now.

I don't think it's any secret I am in the former category. We are where we are, there is no doubt we are the worst team in the NRL again this year, didn't any of the latter group of supporters above, think we wouldn't be this year honestly?

88' - you said you wonder why we don't rush out and sign some players up to plug up the middle with fringe first graders. I guess the reasoning is they want to keep as much salary cap open as possible to use for signings with a view to longer term prosperity rather than short term fixes. Those players you mention have to want to come here mid season, and have to want to sign for only half a season with us with likely no chance of renewal unless they really show us something. The reason being we need that cap space free for signings.

Not that those signings are flowing, but we have to be prepared to give it time. Judge how the recruitment has gone in 2018 once the comp kicks off.

Also, I don't feel those in the second group give any weight to the fact we signed Kosty and got nothing from him on field, Pythian was a real hope for this year and gone in game 1, Mullen really let us down also.

If those players all hit the field fresh for us in 2017 and stayed healthy, we would probably be sitting here talking about how good we are going with 3-4 wins, sitting middle of the comp compared to last year.

Adam76, Battler, MisterLevy and 2 others like this.
  11. Tasgirl

Tasgirl Tasgirl

Hippie.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    :applause::applause:

12. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retail
    Lima - retiring
    Terepo - trouble
    White - lol
    Page - who?
    Ofahengaue - alright

13. 88Knight4life

The issue with the freed up cap funds we have atm is come rd26 this yr that cap money is lost forever.

Tasgirl likes this.
  14. 88Knight4life

Terepo is aggressive
    White was good enough for Bellamy to sign... with 150nrl games
    Luke page aggressive

15. Tasgirl

Tasgirl Tasgirl

Hippie.
    True.....but the players we make offers to.....still have to want to come and play for us..and so far, no one has wanted to.

16. 88Knight4life

Yeah players with options..

Those guys above are in reggies but would improve our pack in firsts... Matty white is a newcastle junior as well.

17. Tasgirl

Tasgirl Tasgirl

Hippie.
    But I thought you wanted "experienced" players to be bought?...Reggies is good, but it's nowhere near first grade.:)

18. Billy

I don't fully understand how having unused salary cap this year will help us next year, but Brown clearly said it would in the presser this week, and he must know how it works.

We have money to spend, and the quality of recruits we are targeting is spot on.

19. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Andrew 'Joey' Johns

modern burlesque dancer
    Should go for Brenton Lawrence goes good and off contract.

beau likes this.
  20. MisterLevy

MisterLevy David Thorne

You bet a corporate box we won't make the 8 next year. I've always thought your money is safe.

What I don't understand is why you're surprised they are only making slow progress.

And I could be wrong but I reckon if Brown did buy some more average players you would complain about us needing better players.

Also I'm sure they can use any unused cap space to front load contracts freeing up money next year. Not 100% but it seems reasonable to me.

Btw, love your passion

Tasgirl likes this.