Round 3: Newcastle Knights vs Sydney Roosters

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by rhugh89, Mar 19, 2018.

?

What is your prediction for this game ??

Poll closed Mar 25, 2018.
  1. Knights 13+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Knights 1-12

12 vote(s)
    46.2%
  3. Draw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Roosters 1-12

11 vote(s)
    42.3%
  5. Roosters 13+

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    Lamb had a just brilliant game. Played most of the game and made 2 runs for a total of 9 metres.

He should be at the head of your lynch list Billy. As for the Ross Dawg, he stinks this year. Out of position in defence and nowhere near Moga in attack.

Yep moony we need a winger and a centre at least.

2. Beaumont

Beaumont Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Muscle checking and manipulation of greyhounds.
    I like Lamb but our expectations come off the back of half a dozen very good games last year. I think he'll make a real solid first grader but Billy please don't mention Lamb and Pongas name in the same sentence. Ponga will learn to get the last play right more often but Lamb will never cut defences to pieces.

3. Chief Longhorn

Chief Longhorn Dave Woods

Very worried about Ross, have thought something was wrong since the opener, but hoping he would come good!
    Not bagging the bloke but really looks pedestrian in everything he does, his biggest attributes are effort and enthusiasm, both are MIA so far!
    Both Ross and SKD looked slow last night, a fleet-footed wing scores the SKD miss in the corner every day of the week!
    I feel the need...... the need for speed!

4. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Todd Bates

I'm not putting any stock in Lamb's performance in that game, the entire team stunk up the joint so attributing more weight of the blame to Lamb is not exactly fair.

He has his shot now, Watson will be on the sidelines for a lengthy period and by the end we should have this Lamb v Watson debate solved, he is either killing it and Brown can't justify putting Watson back there, or he isn't.

5. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Pearce is our main playmaker.
    Lamb won't have the opportunities to do much with Pearce running all the important plays this year.
    His job is to be ready and available when Pearce is not.
    If you think he'll push Pearce aside and demand the ball - well, he'll do that once, before the coach hooks him off the field.

6. Hughburt6

Hughburt6 Adrian Shelford

I thought we really lacked other options other than pearce and because he was targeted we struggled

7. Beaumont

Beaumont Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Muscle checking and manipulation of greyhounds.
    When Cronk scored from his own kick, Ponga slipped coming across in cover, Buhrer was there but was pushed over by a Rooter. Surely that should have been looked at. There's a ? over 18 of their points, some 50/50 calls that went their way and the Watson injury. Maybe the scoreline wasn't as bad as it looked.

Rob and Wobbles like this.
  8. Barry Crush

Barry Crush Cory Denniss

Retired
    I thought that Buhrer went over because Ponga took him out when he slipped

9. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Todd Bates

Not sure if that Ponga slip was the grubber that was put through, but Guerra stuck his foot out and deflected the ball as it headed to the in goal. Ponga had it covered to that point and slipped trying to change direction to get back to the ball.

10. Wobbles

Wobbles Arnold Krewanty

There were definitely a couple more 50/50's going against us than the roosters, particularly with kick chasers on side.

There wasn't a big gap in terms of effort between the sides which Beaumont summed up nicely.. The clearer difference for mine was the added class some of the opposition have on offer. Keary and Latrell were phenomenal for them.

We bombed multiple chances (linebreaks and balls going to the ground, SKD and Fitz getting to the line but not scoring) and gave away stupid penalties, but we were still competing.

The roosters would have beaten almost any side in the comp with their performance yesterday. I'm disappointed as I know we all are, but way more upbeat for next week than in recent seasons. If we take the same effort into the Saints and Broncos games and show more discipline we're not going to get done by 30.

Treadly likes this.
  11. Ethan

Ethan Sean Rudder

Yes that's what happened after watching the replay Ponga had it covered , The refs call of a knock on against Ese,ese was dead set wrong he was pushed down by an easts player but not for 1 second did his hand leave the ball .
    I think people are being very hard on Moga and Skd don't think they were nearly as bad as people are making out and if that tap on had gone straight to him instead of high and making him prop and wait he would have scored ..
    Ross on the other hand wasn't very good again .
    I think we missed Heighington a fair bit and Watson too a bit , Lamb should have come on and taken that game by the scruff of the neck but didn't , hopefully he will next week. Our defence still needs work but it will get there were still only 3 weeks into the season with a new team and as ive said before it will take half the season to get them to gell properly and play as a team ....
    IMO even with that loss were going ok .

Knightsobsessed likes this.
  12. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Todd Bates

Sure, I bet if before the season there was an offer on the table to winning the first two game and getting done away to the roosters 38 - 8 most would have accepted that offer.

We are going fine so far.

Ethan likes this.
  13. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

I had a thought the other day that it's possible Ross has been told to pull back his involvement now. Now that we're actually trying to get back to finals, we want Ross to stay in position, not use up his energy & be ready for any finishing opportunities, we don't need him to be that ever ready player anymore. Either that or he's just lost it. No doubt he's not going well at the moment, might just need time though.

Come off it, Ross has been legitimately good for the last 2 years. If you don't see that, then you've got your shrimp glasses on again that can't look past his size deficiencies.

14. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

He looked great in round 1 running off the back of Pearce as a second option to pass. Didn't lack any confidence there, no reason why he can't continue to do that & still look good when we get on the front foot in attack.

15. Billy

If you watched him yesterday, and in the opposed sessions when he played with Pearce, he is constantly looking to be in position if needed. They don't use him much, but that doesn't mean he isn't doing his job.
    It's just our new norm. Pearce is the guy, Ponga is the element of surprize, Lamb hangs around and tries to be ready if Pearce trips over or something.

16. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

17. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Griffin named Players' Player in Round 3

Newcastle Knights
    Mon 26 Mar 2018, 02:47 PM

Slade Griffin continued his impressive start to life as a Knight by picking up the Players' Player award in Round 3.

With the Roosters throwing plenty at the Knights' middle players, Griffin made 32 tackles with an impressive accuracy of 94.12%.

He also put boot to ball twice, registering 110 kick metres.

STATS

. 6 runs
    . 28 metres
    . 2 kicks
    . 110 kick metres
    . 1 tackle break
    . 82 passes
    . 32 tackles
    . 94.12% tackle accuracy

https://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2018/03/26/griffin-named-players-player-in-round-3/

Battler and slotmachine like this.
  18. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    Well Beaumont that was bad luck Buhrer was run over by a rooter. Hope it wasn't too painful.

I know it really should have been a Rooster but makes hilarious reading old mate!!!!! Post of the round for mine by yards and yards.

Beaumont likes this.
  19. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Todd Bates

That's not what I saw, I recall Watson moving to hooker, and as soon as Lamb came on Pearce was over his side of the ruck running plays through Lamb, where he wasn't really doing that with Watson prior. Hardly Lamb on the field waiting for Pearce to fall over so he can do something.

Anyway, we have 12 weeks or so of Lamb standing around on field waiting for Pearce to fall over to look forward to. Time will tell how they use him and what happens.

20. Billy

Lamb will find his niche in our new squad. Heaven knows he keeps looking for a chance to be in the play.