Round 3: Newcastle Knights vs Sydney Roosters

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by rhugh89, Mar 19, 2018.

?

What is your prediction for this game ??

Poll closed Mar 25, 2018.
  1. Knights 13+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Knights 1-12

12 vote(s)
    46.2%
  3. Draw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Roosters 1-12

11 vote(s)
    42.3%
  5. Roosters 13+

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. Nickwpearce

Nickwpearce Banned

My expectations before round 1 were 8th to 10th... after 3 rounds 10th to 12th...

This is exactly what i was expecting actually... we wont play finals footy this year...

Maybe losing watson will be good in the long run, playing a half on the bench is stupid.

2. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    We came last, they finished first last year.

Not the end of the world we'll bounce back this week or next week.

Quinny likes this.
  3. Lord of the Skraelings

Ross type athlete is 6-8 years ago and a liability in 2018 NRL. People love him because of the backflip and devil may care attitude in the 90's he would have been in his prime.

Joey1245 likes this.
  4. relicorange94

relicorange94 Steve Walters

Mai-Wel
    Heard it was 12 weeks?

5. Lord of the Skraelings

What cost us was that Latrell try. Take that out we get within 10.

6. Lord of the Skraelings

In all fairness Bill, Ponga has 2 blinders and you ping him on an average performance?

7. Lord of the Skraelings

Well I hope Watson recovers quick but plenty will get their wish to see if Lamb is the better man.... We always bag our good performances and underrate our good ones lets see if Lamb is the man.

8. Lord of the Skraelings

Also peeps 2/3 games and 2 wins against teams that normally pull down our pants and give us bare bum smack. Yep we got beat tonight but hey would anyone in the preseason be complaining against 2/3? Bring on next week :)

9. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

In all fairness, I made the effort to see him play 4 times in the preseason, and I told all you guys about him doing all the playmaking stuff. I also told you he has times it works great, and times it doesn't.
    I've told you this over and over in fact.
    I'm not even a tiny bit surprized that he still needs to work on a lot of things.

10. Lord of the Skraelings

Ofcourse mate his 19, no 2 ways he'll be hot and cold.

11. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

A couple errors doesn't necessarily mean Ponga's ball playing is hot & cold. He takes the right option most of the time, my thought was just a lack of experience when he threw one to nobody. In that situation at that point of a game, an older, wiser player might hang onto the ball & take the tackle instead of flicking it out the back, no look, expecting a teammate to grab it & run the length like what would happen in under 20s.

Much like when you see young players who see some space down a sideline & attempt to race down it thinking they can beat everyone like they used to in 20s, but get grabbed by mature defenders who throw them over the sideline. Mamo was one of those victims. Young players quickly learn what they can & can't get away with at the top level. She's a tough game the NRL.

12. Billy

so your point was?
    Maybe I should wait till he has a good game to make the point that he won't always have a good game - or maybe no one can say that - let's bash Lamb instead, he is a free target.

13. Billy

What?
    He isn't hot and cold. He's just young, and sometimes he is hot, and sometimes he is cold.
    I get it now.

14. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

You can look at it like that if you want. Hot & cold to me means a player who gets it right half time & gets it wrong half the time. My opinion of Ponga would be that so far he has done everything brilliantly with a little bit of inexperience shown at the end of a flogging tonight, with time, those stray hands will tighten up a bit more as he learns what is too risky & what isn't.

Defender1 likes this.
  15. Lord of the Skraelings

Not sure where that came from never bashed Lamb only said Watson deserved a fair shake.....

16. Billy

If Lamb had bombed 3 or 4 plays, like Ponga did today, there'd be nothing on here for the next week but calls to drop Lamb and never speak his name again.

knightslad likes this.
  17. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Clint Newton

Disappointing, sorry for Watson, most forwards played ok but outplayed/outmuscled but tried, couple of so so decisions and a few errors had us in trouble, those last two tries in first half and Fergusons length of the field hurt.
    Amazed at the amount of attitude many had to the team, sure we hate loosing.
    Moga made Sione our best centre option by far it was also good to see Sione back on, trainer playing it safe but some immediately went for the he's gone routine, time to ease up. Don't expect too many changes due to lack of alternatives and coaches tendency to give second chances. I thought Esee was very good. Need extra firepower, maybe King.

18. Lord of the Skraelings

We all have our interpretations Roops we'll be back next week.

19. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Clint Newton

My usual just back from the game post. Got absolutely drenched in the downpour lol. Was great getting the Newcastle chant going at the Roosters home ground, I reckon our chant was louder than theirs all game.

Some games, nothing goes your way and this was one of em. Not sure why we took the two when we were behind by a try, we were never going to win this game that way.

Moga, horrible. You kind of need to look where your passing to see if anybody is actually there. Twice he did this! First one was forward and out. That drop ball by him was not his fault though, pass to him was a shocker right up high on his shoulder. But dragging the rooster out when clearly tackled, conceding the penalty, continuing to hold on to the jumper and getting binned is his brain explosion highlight for mine. Drop him next week for sure and put Cory in there.

We were simply outclassed today combined with questionable calls going their way, luck going their way and our boys just not functioning. I was surprised the score was not worse to be honest.

Ponga stands too deep some of the time inviting chip kicks and mid range kicks. He could do with moving up a little more by about 10m when they are in their own half.

Not much else to this one, some truly rubbish calls in the 1st half put the game out of reach, the Roosters capitalised and we couldn't answer.

Early days, I was hoping for two wins out of the first 8 weeks and we have them, Watson unfortunate to get injured but it will give Lamb the chance to show what he and Pearce can do and settle that debate once and for all. Not expecting to win next week but at least it will give us a chance to get Lamb and Pearce some more game time together, with a view to Brisbane at home the week after.

Joey1245 likes this.
  20. moony

moony Ben Rogers

Also just got back from the game too Kurriboy and couldn't agree more with your post. Its a shame the rain couldn't stay away as it would've highlighted how many Knights supporters we're at the game. Great turn out from the knights fans.

I would just add though that I am very worried about the Knights Defence, which includes marking up and also the amount of missed tackles and I am very worried about Nathan Ross.

He looks to have lost a lot of speed and the marking of his opposite winger and the jump for the ball thus far in 3 games has me very worried. In one of the few highlights of the last 2-3 years has been Nathan Ross and I thought with the talent we had brought into the side that Nathan's games would go to another level but looks as though has gone in the complete opposite and looks like he is not interested or maybe the injury he did last year to his back is still affecting him.

The Knights still have money to spend for this years Salary Cap and I know they are looking to add another strong forward to their roster but I also think they should be looking at 2 Backs as well, a creative Centre and Winger with speed to burn. I could be wrong but the Knights look as though they have the slowest backs (except Ponga) in the NRL and lack real speed.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018