Round 10: Newcastle Knights vs Penrith Panthers

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by rhugh89, May 5, 2018.

?

What is your prediction for this game ??

Poll closed May 11, 2018.
  1. Knights 13+

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. Knights 1-12

9 vote(s)
    47.4%
  3. Draw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Panthers 1-12

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  5. Panthers 13+

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  1. nunnsy

nunnsy Trent Hodkinson

Just woke up still pissed off with the refs that went beyond bias last night it was close to match fixing or pure incompitence. I could see it, the players, commentators,journalists,coach, neutral supporters could all see it. Sure we made some silly errors but the end of the match we went down by 11 points.
    In my opinion panthers got more than a 11 point advantage with the way that game was reffed.
    To be fair to esse Esse he started the game and then also come back on at the end both those periods we did not have much ball.

2. Joey1245

Joey1245 Adrian Shelford

I think it was his best game this year couple of try assists

3. Joey1245

Joey1245 Adrian Shelford

Great points young team looking a lil tired we need the bye to reset ourselves

4. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

A lot of players are looking over worked.
    The pre season we had was a great idea to get what was essentially a whole new side to gel as a team, but the effect has been that we have been playing a game every week for 7 weeks longer than any other side and guys like Eseese, Griffin, and the other hard workers are showing signs of burnout.
    Brian Smith had an interesting approach to pre season. He would spend weeks working on skills and basically having the team do light runs and work on combinations and set plays and wouldn't start doing serious fitness work till very late in the pre season. His teams started the season slow because they were just starting to hit peak fitness when the season kicked off. He wanted them playing their best at the end of the season, not the start of the season.
    We have done the opposite to that this year. Some of these guys have been flogged for a very long time.

Beaumont likes this.
  5. Beaumont

Beaumont Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Muscle checking and manipulation of greyhounds.
    So Levi asks Brown for a release earlier in the week which was denied but it had nothing to do with Levi playing first grade this week.

6. moony

moony Ben Rogers

I don't like blaming the referees because I feel that happens way too often but last night all the 50-50 calls went Panthers way. They seem to lay all over our players longer than the knights could. Fans in the stands were so frustrated with the way the panthers we're laying all over us in yelling for a penalty and then the next set a knights player lays on a panthers player for no way near as long and the referee blows a penalty.
    The knights won the penalty count 10-9 and at least 4 of those penalties we received were in a 5 mins period when we we're attacking the panthers line in the 2nd half. Ponga was taken out early in the game while trying to defuse the bomb and in the lead up to the Panthers last try, 1 or 2 tackles before the player lost control of the ball as the ball rolled out underneath him as he was tackled but was able to then regain possession of ball before rising to his feet to play it.
    I'm not going to say the refs cost the knights the game because we just don't know what our attack would have done if calls went the other way but the rub of the green went with the Panthers last night.

Also the NRL need to wake up to themselves with the 6pm Friday night start as no one likes it as a lot of people do not finish work till 5pm. Its a deadest rush to get home, showered up, and getting to the game before kick off.
    There's rumours that the NRL are planning more of these for the knights because of their good crowds thus far, but the way I look at it if those prior games where we had over 20,000 if the game had been on a Sunday afternoon at 3pm we would have had closer to 30,000 people. I don't give a **** about live football on tv. If you want the crowds back at the game, put the game on where the fans of the game can actually get to the game on time.

7. Nickwpearce

Nickwpearce Banned

Positive from last night was we kept a (decent) team to under 30... nothing else to talk about really

8. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

I don't usually like blaming refs, but they smashed us last night. Penrith were bending the rules like hell, and the refs seemed very keen to keep the penalty count even, so every time they were penalised for rushing up or the other stuff they were doing, we got penalised for nothing much to even up.

9. Nickwpearce

Nickwpearce Banned

He got a **** load of minutes as well... Very bad to hear he wants out... But who could blame him

Brown pretty much called out the refs saying they should get reviewed as harshly as some of his players.. (Watson, King, Dan)

Pretty much blamed Connor for the loss without saying it... Not the bad pass but the penalty to take away dans try...

Said Watson and Lamb should get better the more they play together and Lamb defending well but neither reacted well to the line speed of the panthers.

Kings two tackle 5 penalties are not 1st grade material... but he is young...

Dans two drop balls coming out of danger not 1st grade material... but he is young...

Don't think we will see many changes on Tuesday... And I have zero confidence we can defeat the Titans...

10. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

I wouldn't be picking king again. Lillyman back in if he's fit.

EASBay17 likes this.
  11. Simon Templar

Simon Templar Matt White

Project Manager
    Nickwpearce, it is so refreshing to know you can be positive about something, although if you were honest there are a few other instances which if you try can be uplifting.
    1. The footy Gods and the refs were against us and we still only lost by 11 , despite us contributing to a 18 point turn around by our own errors.
    2.We have few players who are inspirational eg: Guerra, Ponga and Fitzy

My concern is the way we have recently been drifting in and out of games , what stands out is our unforced errors and the teams attitude of waiting for someone else to engage in defense, they run forward stand their ground flat footed about 2 metre and wait for the attackers to engage the defenders instead of taking the initiative and belting anyone in front of them ( to many times they come up empty ).

I am confident we have the ability to win most games all that they need is a change of attitude , play for each other and not wait for someone else to do their job, we look so lethargic and our reaction time is too slow so it is imperative that we initiate contact and adjust accordingly.

Given our disruption to rotations confidence and combinations will come with matchplay

12. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    Smith was definitely the mad scientist of rugby league, know people who knew him pre coaching and yeah, one of the biggest social retards of all time.

13. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    Only reason I'd go King again is he may improve, Lillyman is going from bad to worse.

What happened to that Saulo fellow?

14. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Clint Newton

Excuse my ignorance but where did we hear or read about Levi wanting released

15. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Playing flegg and cup, not upto nrl footy, yet.

16. Ethan

Ethan Mark Hughes

Well not a great game to watch but the refs can take a lot of the blame for that Ponga tackled in the air before he had the ball and not getting a penalty cost us the start we needed...
    Imo we need 2 things a couple of Big bad props that can break the line and offload because were not doing either of those things and a couple of game breaking centre's .
    Moga when fit can break a game open and Ramien looks the goods so hopefully next season we will be right in the centre's but we will need the props then 2 because we don't have them now ...
    I think throw every dollar we can at Tapau and Boyd get those 2 here and they will get us going forward and with Pearce back we will start to play like a good team again...Our forwards just aren't big enough or bad enough to get us going forward like Kapow and Boyd would ....

Tim likes this.
  17. Beaumont

Beaumont Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Muscle checking and manipulation of greyhounds.
    Newcastle Herald - Barry Toohey

Frank McWilliams likes this.
  18. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Clint Newton

Did I mention Watson in what I posted? No, I said, that is the lamb we should be seeing. Taking on the line, I believe he is good at it. But at the moment seems to have no confidence at all.

Not sure why you brought Watson up from this post other than to troll.

19. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Clint Newton

Losing teams all whinge about the refs. We won the penalty count 10-9 so not like we got caned. The problem is we don't get ourselves in to good field position so when the penalties come against us, we are already on the back foot and that results in us defending our line for a set, rather than them just getting a piggyback out of their half, which in we have a habbit of turning in to several sets on our line. We start our sets of 6 and consistently make 10-15m less than we should be in sets, where the opposition against us make 10-15m more than they should. That right there is where we are losing games.

We got our share of penalties and chances, we didn't capitalise on them, made errors coming out of our own half after scoring points twice. Gave a stupid penalty away when we scored a try, our kicking game was poor and our forwards do not go forwards nearly enough.

The safs are too fat and slow, they need to slim down a few kegs to get more mobility, Dsaf's play the ball is almost in slow motion. King should go back to reserves. Lamb had a passable game though things were not clicking for him out there that will change if he gets a few weeks and a bit more confidence. Watson had a good game except those two errors which are highlights unfortunately. Levi, Griffin, Sione, were good. Sio, Ross and SKD quiet but not bad, just not a game that flowed their way much. KP once again standout and god help us if he goes down or gets picked for QLD, as much as he would learn even being 18th man for QLD, we would not win a game whilst he was gone.

There were several dropouts there last night where the vast majority of our team had not even got in to position for the kick, they were still walking back with their backs to the kick as it was taken. Thats attitude, we were not interested it appeared, and our performance showed.

We desperately need some forwards who have mongrel and actually want to eat up the meters.

danknights likes this.
  20. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Dan gets turtled on his back far too much for a bloke his size

danknights likes this.