10 D Saifiti
11 Sione
12 Buhrer
13 Barnett

14 Randall
15 J Saifiti
16 Starling/King
17 Stockwell/Yates

Trying to make myself feel better about another tough season to come. At least 2017 Round 1 looks better, I think.

I like the look of our pack, particularly the back row. Backline looks average. I'd go Pete on the wing for Elliot if Phythian is gonna be fullback. The centres look dangerous too and Hodkinson needs to improve big time to help Lamb out early in the year especially.
I really liked what I saw from Levi at the Nines and fingers crossed he stays injury free as he'll be a huge part of our attacking game.
Surely Wardle fits in somewhere?

Wardle says he's a chance for Round 1 but given he's had zero pre-season and coming from the laughable ESL I don't see it.

Im ok with backline. agreed with pete on wing for elliot. But we really need another decent prop more than anything.

Our backline is the pits. The forwards look much more impressive but we are one starting strong front rower short.

On paper I don't think it looks better. Uate. Snowden, Mullen, Rochow, Smith & Korbin all experience & talent lost. In reality, it probably will be better because the kids have had another season & pre-season & hopefully they all won't get injured as much as those bigger names that we lost.

After the 9's and Tweed trial I'd go with this, but there's still the trial against Canberra so anything could happen between now and then:

1. Dylan Pythian (better attack/ball play than Pete)
2. Nathan Ross
3. Dane Gagai
4. Peter Mata'utia/Brendan Elliot
5. Ken Sio
6. Brock Lamb (leaps and bounds in front of Feeney, composed and slick kicking game)
7. Trent Hodkinson
8. Sam Mataora
9. Danny Levi (running game looks a lot more sharp now)
10. Daniel Saifiti
11. Sione Mata'utia
12. Jamie Buhrer
13. Mitch Barnett (looks to have bulked up, may be one of our hardest runners by seasons end)

14. Tyler Randell (sharing the 9 with Levi again and his utility value is needed)
15. Jacob Saifiti
16. Josh Starling (does a solid job off the bench, better option than King)
17. Jack Stockwell/Mickey Paea/Joe Wardle

Surely King is behind Stockwell and Paea for a spot in our strongest 17?
The guy has the ball handling skills of a lesbian.

I'm with you in the main Matty, Elliot for Pete. Bench props a real toss up. Would start Starling instead of Mataora, and Randell, Matoara, Jacob, Wardle if fit, and 18th man Paea.

Surely King is behind Stockwell and Paea for a spot in our strongest 17?
The guy has the ball handling skills of a lesbian.

Paea played off the bench in the tweed trial, King started. Stockwell I think was only in Auckland as you have to send one of your top five highest paid players, Brown gave Yates heaps more game time there.

Paea does nothing with the ball but he's a good defender and doesn't miss many tackles. Maybe Browny isn't focussing on defence this season.

So half our side then?

No just King. Overall our handling isn't that big of an issue compared to our poor online defence (particularly on the edges) or our lack of creativity.

It is, however a big issue for King who made a number of unforced errors last season and did the same in the trial on Saturday.

I don't think it's so much a matter of rating paea it's more about experience and he does contribute quite well imo.

No just King. Overall our handling isn't that big of an issue compared to our poor online defence (particularly on the edges) or our lack of creativity.

It is, however a big issue for King who made a number of unforced errors last season and did the same in the trial on Saturday.

It was pretty concerning reading that he dropped the ball more than once during the trial

He was an absolute mess last year

Back