Rookie Review: Luke Yates

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by rhugh89, Sep 28, 2017.

1. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Rookie Review: Luke Yates

Thu 28th September, 04:44PM

2017 was a massive year for Luke Yates, as he made his NRL debut in Round 1 and didn’t look back.

It came off the back of a strong pre-season, as the local junior impressed the coaching staff with his fitness levels and willingness to learn.

While he’ll never be the biggest forward, Yates drew comparisons to club legend Bill Peden as he set about his work on the field tirelessly.

Perhaps the most telling statistic from the 22-year-old was that he only missed a total of 20 tackles throughout the whole season.

His 96 per-cent tackle accuracy was the best at the Club, and close to the top in the whole competition.

Yates was another player who’s season ended prematurely, as he missed the last two matches with an ankle injury and underwent surgery.

He will be raring to go in 2018 though, as he looks to build on his 19 NRL appearances.

STATS

. 19 games
    . 52 metres per game
    . 24 tackles per game
    . 96 per cent tackle accuracy

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2017/09/28/rookie_review_luke_y.html

Tasgirl likes this.
  2. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

I've been a big fan of Yates since the under 16s, but I honestly can't see how he fits into our future plans.
    I think the only hope for him is if the hooker lessons work out and he can make number 14 his own.

3. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

Not all players have to be first-graders. He's a local guy that wants to stick around, has played a season of first-grade now & has proven himself to be a solid defensive forward that can do a job when injuries arise. I think Browny likes that because he's always talking about keeping players that love the club & want to be here. Yates of course will have aspirations of playing first-grade, so it's up to him if he's happy playing 10 NRL games a year or not.

Battler likes this.
  4. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retail
    With the squad we're building for next year he'll be a back up forward at best, but you can't deny that he is a tough young bloke and plays well above his weight. I like Yatesy, he does a job and will provide solid depth.

5. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Jason Hoogerworf

He will only play firsts if bad run of injuries, gives it his all, and I like his efforts, but 20kg and 10cm short of what is required. Not fair but realistic, needs to take on Buhrer type roll to extend his career.

6. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    He has an outstanding defensive record, but his with the ball distances lag far behind. As Frank points out, he is a little short, under weight guy for current back rowers.

Like Sione he has put in determined efforts.

7. Steve Jacobs

Steve Jacobs Jacob Saifiti

Really solid player! Loves the club, works hard.

If he continues to grow and develop could be a very handy player for us moving forward!