Players that showed heaps of promise but never delivered

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by Lord of the Skraelings, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    Which players were you guys surprised at that didn't kick on? For me the Liki's stand out.

Sia(?) Likiliki - Had so many attributes of a great center and to me never failed in the top grade, but fizzled out with little impact.

Toka Likiliki - Gentle giant. Seriously we had worse than him debut over that period, maybe a couple of games might have fired him to bigger things but yeah never made the grade.

Bit of a never was thread, Billy should love this one.

2. packo

packo :) (:

Government
    Jordan Rankin

3. danknights

danknights Timana Tahu

Heaps of guys out there that should of made it but didn't. My brain is fried right now to think of names as work is crazy but hey I'll think of some later.

- - - Updated - - -

Arana taumata. Used to think he was a freak. Just attitude a massive problem

- - - Updated - - -

Owen craigie!

4. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

We've had plenty. The biggest ones in my time probably being Con Mika, apparently the best kid out of New Zealand, scored a try on debut, put on some great hits but just never looked like a first-grader, Beau Henry, great 2 games to start, the kid to finally fix our halves problem, gets badly injured, comes back in average form before Benny told him to get lost, Kyle O'Donnell, one of the better forward in NYC, great frame for a young guy, really good 2012 season in NSW Cup only to get 1 game & then get moved on to 2 other clubs where he never made an impact & disappeared. Adam Clydsdale, our best junior hooker coming through for years, will be on this list too if he doesn't kick on at Canberra.

It just shows us how bad we are when our most experienced debutants in recent years are Tyrone, Korbin & Clydsdale. After that we have failed to develop anyone into long term first-graders, to our credit, we are starting to change things now, many of our rookies in the team now look like they will be long termers for us.

5. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

The one I've always been amazed by is Jermaine Ale.
    He was a winger that started in our under 20s as a 17 year old and scored nearly every game - sometimes 2 or 3 times.
    At that time Phil Gould was at the Roosters and he put together an unbeatable under 20s side, and Ale went to play under 20s for them for 2 years. I believe he is still the greatest try scorer in under 20s history.
    From there he went to Canberra where he kept scoring masses of tries in reserve grade and played a couple of games of firstgrade, before he just chucked it in and returned home to play for years for Newcastle Wests.
    When he was in our under 20s I thought he was on his way to firstgrade, and he seemed to be the best junior winger in the game for the next several years after he left us.

Callan Richardson was another who always looked like a future firstgrader. He was the youngest member of our great 2006 under 20s side, and rated the best young back in Australia at the time, but at least we know what happened to him - injury after injury ruined his chances. He did end up winning 3 reserve grade premierships at Parra I think, and several times came close to playing firstgrade, but always got injured at the worst possible time.

Simon Williams was a great attacking centre. Strong as an ox and with a great passing game. If he didn't score, he drew the defence and put guys like Kevin Naiqama in for a heap of tries. But Simon was a terrible defender. He'd tackle anyone who ran straight at him, but anyone who ran 2 feet either side of him went through untouched.

I notice Williams and Richardson are still scoring heaps of tries for Newcastle Rebels in the country championships this year.

Chris Adams managed to break his arm every time he was close to playing firstgrade. He was a very good hooker who would have played a lot of NRL if not for that dodgy arm.

6. Beaumont

Beaumont Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Muscle checking and manipulation of greyhounds.
    I watched Siatonga Likki Likki play in the Warriors GF side and thought we had a super star. Watched a trial against Fiji Bati and thought the same along with Adams the hooker. Nek minit.

7. Lord of the Skraelings

Too clarify guys only players were here or from here.

A player we brought who I expected big things from was Mitchell Sargent, brought in by Smith who had him at the Eels but never got a start in firsts? He was coming off a 12 month ban for cocaine but at 27 I thought we'd picked up a real bargain who was going to be good for us.

8. Billy

The Likiliki brothers both had incredible power for short periods, but ran out of petrol in about 20 minutes.
    In the under 20s, where they didn't have to wrestle much in tackles, they could go for longer minutes and run over the top of everyone, but as soon as they got in seniors, they both had about 4 good runs in them, and then they couldn't tackle a grape.

Kyle O'Donnell had a funny game plan in NYC. He played lock and basically only ran when everyone was tired, and only at the smallest guys on the field. He used to regularly run 200 metres a game, but they were all soft metres. In the seniors he was a cat who was dominated by every prop in NSW cup.

9. Lord of the Skraelings

I'll always remember poor ole Kyle for the cheap shot that Sam Burgess laid on him, back than it was on the highlight now with the game cleaned up he would have got a month for it.

10. EASBay17

EASBay17 Lenny Beckett

Wasnt it his first hitup in firstgrade aswell?

11. Chief Longhorn

Chief Longhorn Jason Edwards

I thought David Seage could have been absolutely anything, but injuries detroyed the poor bugger!

12. Billy

Albert Kelly is a guy who could have been good for us.
    He only had half a season in reserve grade and didn't set the world on fire before he was sacked for off field stuff.
    From here he went to the Titans and was great for 1 season.
    He is currently at Hull KR and was one of the best in the ESL for a season, but this year he is hot and cold again.
    If he had the attitude of Tyrone Roberts he would have been great for us, because he had twice the talent.

13. sau

sau Richard Clarke

zoo keeper
    I believe Seage would've definitely played rep footy, his injuries were so cruel but when he got a run he was by far the best replacement for Robbie "o"

14. Billy

Nathan Hinton
    Jermaine Ale
    Tonga Likiliki
    Simon Williams
    Kalifa Fai Fai Loa
    Ryan Stig
    Beau Henry
    Ben Cross
    Chris Adams
    Toka Likiliki
    Kyle O'Donnell
    Marvin Filipo
    Con Mika

Danny Spiteri
    Dean Amos
    Mitch Williams
    AJ Davies

15. sau

sau Richard Clarke

zoo keeper
    Terence seu seu to that list, along with Trent salkld

16. JoshW21

JoshW21 #RiseForAlex

Sports Trainer/Coach
    Siuatonga Likiliki - probably the best I've seen in U20s. Never kicked on in First Grade.
    Travis Waddell
    Kyle O'Donnell
    Beau Henry - another great 20s player but flopped in First Grade.
    Ryan Stig
    Jake Finn
    Scott Briggs - Had potential but really stuffed up
    Pride Petterson-Robati - Had good potential then left is now playing in the Victoria Comp
    Constantine Mika
    Marvin Filipo

17. ragnor

ragnor Michael Reid

Jarrod Mullen.

18. Lord of the Skraelings

Toka and Tonga, that family could count to twenty with potato all the way.

19. Defender1

Defender1 Steve Simpson

Ethan Cook!

20. Captain Planet

Captain Planet Andrew Tangata-Toa

Whore
    Agree with Scott briggs.. Comes from a talented family of footy players, and he could of been anything in the NRL but grog and drugs got him.....also Jared Edwards son of Jason Edwards