Pearce to the Dogs ?

If Pearce is free to negotiate, yesterday's game will have his phone ringing off the hook - or whatever the modern equivalent is.

Honestly don’t know what the club does if Bailey doesn’t come along as hoped in reggies hahaha.

There are a million pretty decent fullbacks getting around, compared to halves anyway.

Hodgson is signed to the end of 2023 so he can hopefully get a full year in 2022 without injury or covid stuffing everything up.

Edit. The Panthers get away with Dylan Edwards for example, Raiders went to a GF with CNK etc. An absolute gun FB isn't a prerequisite for success.

Last edited:
Ok, I've been going to write this for a long time, now is the perfect time.

I watched a lot of Mitch around the 2013 premiership years. He brings a lot of good things to a footy team, most of all he is an all effort winner who is good at icing games. The Roosters were winning minor premierships regularly. They would put teams away, but they had a LOT of results by 2 or 4 points when the opposition would not score more than two tries. They were a club built on defensive resilience.

Attack wise, they hardly ever played right often preferring Mitch Aubbuson (sp?) at centre for his defensive capabilities. Mitch would go effort on effort, taking the line on and playing short to crash ball forwards. He'd look for the killer pass, and would deliver it enough that the team would win. He would get a lot of try assists, but probably tried more killer passes to get them than anyone else in the comp. (Btw, I'm pretty sure Pearce not playing right often caused the issues with Ramien a few years back). Eventually Robbo thought the team had flatlined with Pearce, he brought in Cronk and really upgraded their attack.

Our recent wins remind me a lot of the Roosters wins with Pearce there.

Many would say the most fluent our attack has looked under Obi was when Blake Green had a couple of matches last year and freed up Kalyn.

Now we have Clifford. He isn't from that winning culture like Pearce. But i think back firstly to the cowboys win over us in townsville this year. I watched him closely because he was coming here. Holmes picked us apart down their left that night and Clifford was great at keeping at the weakness they were probing. He didn't overplay his hand but the ball kept getting to where it needed to be.

I would argue the most fluent our attack has looked in this 5 game streak has been the Canberra game, where Ponga and Best killed em down our left. And the ball kept getting there, time and time again. That was also the only match of the streak that Pearce didn't play.

I guess what I am saying is that Pearce brings a lot of good things to a footy team, but fluent attack isn't one of them. Clifford will learn a lot of good stuff off Mitch while he is here, Mitch will actually be the catalyst for our success in this time, but we may have to wait until he moves on before our attacking potential is really unlocked.

Ok, I've been going to write this for a long time, now is the perfect time.

I watched a lot of Mitch around the 2013 premiership years. He brings a lot of good things to a footy team, most of all he is an all effort winner who is good at icing games. The Roosters were winning minor premierships regularly. They would put teams away, but they had a LOT of results by 2 or 4 points when the opposition would not score more than two tries. They were a club built on defensive resilience.

Attack wise, they hardly ever played right often preferring Mitch Aubbuson (sp?) at centre for his defensive capabilities. Mitch would go effort on effort, taking the line on and playing short to crash ball forwards. He'd look for the killer pass, and would deliver it enough that the team would win. He would get a lot of try assists, but probably tried more killer passes to get them than anyone else in the comp. (Btw, I'm pretty sure Pearce not playing right often caused the issues with Ramien a few years back). Eventually Robbo thought the team had flatlined with Pearce, he brought in Cronk and really upgraded their attack.

Our recent wins remind me a lot of the Roosters wins with Pearce there.

Many would say the most fluent our attack has looked under Obi was when Blake Green had a couple of matches last year and freed up Kalyn.

Now we have Clifford. He isn't from that winning culture like Pearce. But i think back firstly to the cowboys win over us in townsville this year. I watched him closely because he was coming here. Holmes picked us apart down their left that night and Clifford was great at keeping at the weakness they were probing. He didn't overplay his hand but the ball kept getting to where it needed to be.

I would argue the most fluent our attack has looked in this 5 game streak has been the Canberra game, where Ponga and Best killed em down our left. And the ball kept getting there, time and time again. That was also the only match of the streak that Pearce didn't play.

I guess what I am saying is that Pearce brings a lot of good things to a footy team, but fluent attack isn't one of them. Clifford will learn a lot of good stuff off Mitch while he is here, Mitch will actually be the catalyst for our success in this time, but we may have to wait until he moves on before our attacking potential is really unlocked.

👏 👏 👏

This is it mate. 100%. No one plays harder than Mitch, but most would take an Adam Reynolds over him every time. Clifford has the potential, in my opinion, to be better than Reynolds - he’s got a similar set of tools in his kit bag but he’s also just bigger and stronger, and therefore both a more threatening runner and a better defender. We just need to work with him to get him there.

Seems like Obi is determined Junior will play with us next year and give young Jake Clifford another year's lead in to be our halfback. No doubt Jaske has improved loads since Junior has been back.

Last edited:
We won’t let Pearce go, signed for next season, no obvious replacement, don’t know about 2023 but let’s get part way through 2022 and see how his old legs and injuries hold up

eyez on the prize🍻
Mitchell Pearce knights 2022 - plays majority of games, plays average but not poorly, doesn’t risk his body, expect him to tackle less
2023 $$$$$ signs big super league deal $$$$$

Back