Pass mark for next year poll and opinions

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by Lord of the Skraelings, Sep 29, 2017.

?

Finishing position

This poll will close on Mar 29, 2018 at 1:46 PM.
  1. 1-4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 5-8

17.5%
  3. 9-12

75.0%
  4. 13-15

2.5%
  5. Spoon

5.0%
  1. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

Dude we are the unluckiest team ever.

Other teams players get niggling injuries during pre season, we get career ending throat injuries and have serious car crashes. Pretty sure god hates us.

2. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Jason Hoogerworf

He also plays for storm, wears No. 9

Lefty likes this.
  3. Simon Templar

Simon Templar George Mann

Project Manager
    Billy, itis not so much about set low expectations it is about "realistic outlook" there is noway we are going to be Top 8 contenders in 2018 with a new look squad, unless a lot of things go our way thru the season - Combinations are developed not bought and we have bought well.

For us to go up the table someone has to drop down, "realistically" who do you think will drop down from this seasons table to facilitate the lofty heights of your expectations for us ??

4. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

It never happens like that.
    You can predict the finishing order 1-16 next year, and the one thing i'll bet on is that you will be wildly inaccurate.
    Ask me about half way through next season and i'll tell you who is having a good year and who is having a bad year. and anyone who thinks they can predict it now is probably someone about to lose their money.

5. krustykraz

krustykraz Darren Forward

It was pretty un-predicable that the chooks came 2nd last 2016 and 2nd in 2017

6. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

modern burlesque dancer
    No way?

Reckon we are a decent chance this year.

7. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

Yeah it's a pointless exercise to predict the table for the next season. Every single year bookies & fans predict a table based off the current season, but every single year there will always be teams who surprise by either falling away or coming into power. Who knows how things develop for us next year, we could really shock a lot of people or we could disappoint the fans greatly, but the safe bet would be to say that we will get off the bottom at least.

8. Frank McWilliams

Could be a very close comp 2018 with the top teams from this year losing players or old ones getting older and other teams building with good buys. You could just miss the 8 but finish 12th. Predicting which and being right is not so easy.

Joshhh likes this.
  9. Simon Templar

Simon Templar George Mann

Project Manager
    Point of the thread was what is a pass mark for next year ?

I said around 10 based on who will finish lower than us next year.

Slots said "Tigers, Titans, Dogs, Souths, Warriors, Dragons" which is a fair assumption and that puts us close to 10th.

I don't think that is an unreasonable expectation, any thing higher will be a bonus.

If you think we can do better ,

Who do you think will do worse than us?

10. Joshhh

I think we were talking about separate topics. Where we will finish is anyone's guess, as said, I think there's an equal chance we shock people as there is we disappoint greatly. The comp is unpredictable. The pass mark is a different thing, pass mark for mine should be get out of the bottom 4, anything less than that will be quite disappointing & Browny will have to have questions asked of him.

11. Frank McWilliams

Teams will be looking at us next season, improved as year went on, bought well, no longer wooden spoon outright favourite, harder to win, pressure of anticipation, still forming combinations, if you put too much anticipation in it could bring down success. Getting above bottom four will be tough but then with less injuries than this year anything is possible. I believe 6-8 wins is realistic and that will get us of the bottom, but in the bottom four, if all goes well 8-10 wins is very possible and will get us clear of bottom, possibly 11-12th.

12. nunnsy

nunnsy Steve Fulmer

I think we are a good chance of making the eight next year depending on injuries have a really good forward pack next year and could be one of the best depending on how much improvement the younger players have in them, second row is strong, halves are still young but both really talented going to be brilliant some weeks and average some weeks. Backs decent bit more depth would be nice. My biggest concern is Ponga kid has amazing talent still not sure if he has the physicality yet for first grade week in week out. In my opinion we should be pushing for the eight, my minimum expectation at least looking like a top eight team in the latter half of the season.

13. Frank McWilliams

I have my concerns about Ponga to, young, inexperienced, no doubt very talented but the expectation of him is so high it might be hard to live up to expectation week in week out, hope I am wrong

14. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

We have Ponga for 4 years and he is still 19 next year.
    We don't have to rush him.

15. Joshhh

For people like us who are deeply in the inner sanctum of all the goings on within the Knights, I think expectations would be fairly realistic. I definitely do not expect a superstar in 2018, I expect a young guy finding his feet with occasional glimpses of quality every now & then. For the more uninformed people out there, maybe older Knights fan who don't frequent the internet much, they might be thinking he's the second coming of Joey, a superstar 19-year-old fullback that other codes wanted coming on a big contract. Also there will be thousands of fans of other clubs waiting on every moment for him to stuff up so they can rub it into Knights fans, waiting for their chance to say he's overrated & terrible.

Matty23 likes this.
  16. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    Wait until the draw for 2018 is released. We all know it is an unfair draw with Turdburg engineering for his favourites to finish as the top four again. No competition can be fair with a graded rather than open draw and playing all teams the same number of occasions. Roll on twenty teams and nineteen rounds, three stand alone State of Convenience games with byes for Club footy making 22 rounds and avoid hot weather starts with quarters for drinks.

A lot will depend on how many times we have to play the 'big boys' with their unlimited budget.

17. Ethan

Ethan Clint Newton

If we get Tenth next season I will be very happy and will think the team gelled well and did better than they should have ...With the amount of new faces and young guys now in the team I would expect 2018 to be a season to start getting them to play as a team it will probably take the whole season to do that ....2019 will be the year we will make the 8... just.... imo.

Frank McWilliams likes this.
  18. Jaybro

Jaybro David Fa'alogo

Should be aiming for a top 8 spot but if we just miss out I think it's still a good year

As long as our season is still 'alive' with 2-3 rounds to go I'll be happy, I miss the excitement that comes with watching my side playing 'do or die matches'.

19. Ethan

Ethan Clint Newton

I think it will take most of next season to get them to gel as a team so not expecting too much but 2019 look out

20. Beatell

Beatell Matt White

I think pass mark will be 12th but I’m hoping for 10th

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk