Official: Tyler Randell signs with Wakefield

Discussion in 'Knights Signings, Rumours & Player Movement' started by rhugh89, Jul 24, 2017.

1. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

From Fox Sports

KNIGHT ON THE MOVE

Newcastle hooker Tyler Randell is off to Wakefield on a two-year deal.

The 24-year-old had spent the past four seasons with the Knights and can fill the role of hooker, half and lock.

“I am delighted to secure the services of Tyler for two years, his position is one that we identified at the start of the season that we did not have a great deal of depth,” Wakefield coach Chris Chester said.

“By bringing in Tyler, it will bring in a genuine competition and add quality to what is already a strong squad.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/ex...r/news-story/d2e63cf160f44811c798cbcccc44d04e

2. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

modern burlesque dancer
    Wardle ain't a top 17 player next year(or this). Thanks for the effort if he goes but won't be missed.

Beaumont likes this.
  3. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Yeah Wardle who cares.

Don't understand going after Rein or Lichaa when you could have just kept Randall.

88Knight4life likes this.
  4. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Steve Linnane

Money I guess in Randall's case, I would have preferred he stayed, know what we've got and covers a few positions and still has 5-6 years in him, saying that he was never going to be long term first grader but a good fill in.

5. slotmachine

Randall told he wasn't going to be offered a deal so can't be money.

6. danknights

danknights Clint Newton

Something must have happened between him and browny. To not be offered a contract at all is a little fishy.

7. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Brown has very high expectations of hookers.
    First thing he did when he got to the club was to get rid of Clydsdale and Redman, and pretty much put Randell on notice.
    He is an ex hooker who was very much a playmaker and team leader from number 9.
    If he had a free hand to build a team from scratch, I reckon he'd spend 2 mill on Cameron Smith and build the rest of the team around him.
    Since Brown has been here we have seen Clydsdale, Redman, Adams, Levi, Pearsall, Bhana, Feeney, Phythian, Buhrer, Kosty (no games) and Randell all given some sort of run as hooker, and Levi is the only one with any sort of tick of approval so far - and it often feels like Brown isn't totally happy with Levi either.

8. Joel

Joel Touche...

Often? I'm under the impression that Brown does rate him tbh, it was only this off-season that he was saying for should be playing for the Kiwis. It's not like we're virtually replacing him with a big name like we are trying to with Lamb in attempting to get Maloney on top of Connor. I'm not seeing Rein and Lichaa putting Levi under much stress, either way it'll be interesting to see if Starling puts the pressure on one or the other. All we need is someone to do an effective 20 minutes which I think Buhrer suits best but depth at dummy half is important.

Frank McWilliams likes this.
  9. slotmachine

You might have noticed Levi ain't starting hooker any more.

10. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

modern burlesque dancer
    Think reason being is to allow his running game to flourish as teams are a bit tired and he cuts them to ribbons. Great strategy IMO.

Joey1245 and Hughburt6 like this.
  11. mullenmagic

mullenmagic Shane O'Grady

Makes more sense to only use 1 interchange on him rather than use 2 taking him off and bringing him back on later in the game. He's still playing the same minutes and is still clearly our #1 hooker.

12. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

I think this is a bit overstated. Redman played & was gone before Brown got here. He got rid of Clydsdale because he didn't want 3 hookers in the top 25 & he was the one off-contract. Adams, Pearsall, Bhana, Feeney & Phythian were all used only for injuries when we had no one else. Kostjasyn was meant to come in & start to let Levi come on fresh, now Buhrer is taking up that role. Brown hasn't exactly been cycling through hookers trying to find the right one. He rates Levi, but he's trying to find a way to keep him fresh.

Wardle wouldn't be half bad if he could catch a ball. The pace seems a little too fast for him, I'm starting to get nervous whenever he gets passed the ball.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  13. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Steve Linnane

The difference is ESL V NRL, we are more than ok in backrowers and he's not a centre so if he wants to go let him use money to pay someone else

14. Joel

Joel Touche...

Ok then 'primary' dummy half. Even going forward I believe Buhrer should start the first 20 odd minutes and have Levi finish the rest of the game, he seems to be the only logical utility player with Randell out.

Levil Kinevil likes this.
  15. Beaumont

Beaumont Paul the Chief Harragon

Muscle checking and manipulation of greyhounds.
    Leadership group last year to no offer this year. Then again so was T Sims. Good judge of character.

88Knight4life likes this.
  16. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retail
    Good luck to Tyler, he'll do well over there. They've picked up a handy player. Didn't get enough credit here.

danknights likes this.
  17. slotmachine

Imo the change was made because Levi had a couple of really poor games against the Dragons and Tigers.

18. mullenmagic

mullenmagic Shane O'Grady

They used the same strategy for a few weeks before Buhrer got injured. Think the plan was always to have Levi come off the bench behind Rory but still play the bulk of the minutes.

19. Joey1245

Joey1245 Kade Snowden

I don't think it's a change i think it provide competition which is healthy also what happens if Levi gets hurt? Starling imo is still to young we don't need to be rushing guys in like we have for the last two years

Frank McWilliams likes this.
  20. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

I think Brown wanted Levi to build up to 80 minutes a game, but it's clear now that he hasn't got 80 minutes in him unless he doesn't use up energy running from dummy half, and the problem with that is that his runs from dummy half are very effective, so we want him to be able to run when he sees a chance.
    Levi might still be able to build up to 80 minutes in the future. People forget how young he is because he has been around for so long now, but he is 6 months older than Sione and just over a year older than Lamb, so he should keep getting more stamina for a few more years.

Knighted likes this.