Slade Griffin announces his retirement

He will need to earn his spot because Buhrer and Levi did a really good job as a rotation this season.

He looks a decent player but it's probably not that hard coming on the field for Cameron Smith with 15 minutes left after your team has dominated the opposition all game. Starting at rake for us is a completely different thing.

We needed a firstgrade ready hooker - we got one.
Makes more sense than signing second rowers and halves.
Still need a really good prop and a centre I think.

Its official now, Slade has retired due to his knee injury.

Another hooker brought here and ended their career. Sad news for him.

He could tackle like few we've had at the club. He only had 16 games here, but throughout those games there'd be an opponent hit a hole and you'd think "how'd we stop that, oh, it was Slade". Joey and Bedsy both had that about them.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Maybe it's time the Knights don't sign players with a history of knee issues, Hodkinson, Moga, Griffin all signed despite having plasticine knees.

Absolutely agreed, but with some discretion.

A young guy injured in an awkward tackle who comes back strong without complications and a re-occurrence is far less risky than a guy who blows a knee through a sidestep or pops a shoulder in an innocuous incident.

- Moga at his best is a beast, and there weren't many other quality centres on the market. But the repeat ACL's were a massive red flag and it was a surprise we signed him on the deal we did.
- Slade was a solid hooker and maybe less of a risk but should probably have been passed over.
- Hodko mightn't have been as much of a liability playing in the halves if he had a quality experienced halves partner. He was a good signing but I feel he copped more flak than warranted.

Some players can manage their off-field workload and still give the team the performances they need on the day, Shaun Timmins was a good example of that. That depends on the team around them, their experience, how they prepare, and whether that approach suits them. Certainly doesn't work for everyone.

The same can be said for chronic shoulder problems, Souths were crazy signing Sam Burgess on the terms of his last contract regardless of his status and past performances.

Ultimately, some teams are forced into risky signings based on their ability to attract players, we've been in that position for far too long. The systems, staff and players we have in place now should see this a problem of the past. Hopefully we're seen as a club the top players want to play for like the Roosters and Storm, not purely for a big payday.

Griff was good for the club, pity he got injured to force retirement, 28y/o still young enough to play another few years, wish him well in retirement, thought I read somewhere that he is now Knights wrestling coach.
Not having any luck with hookers last few years, hopefully Brailey works out ok.

Maybe it's time the Knights don't sign players with a history of knee issues, Hodkinson, Moga, Griffin all signed despite having plasticine knees.
Moga im pretty sure played every game or close to it the year before coming here and was playing good footy .

Moga im pretty sure played every game or close to it the year before coming here and was playing good footy .

He had plenty of knee issues prior to that year though. I'd be surprised if Moga gets offers in future for anything more than a 1-year contract at a time.

In fairness to Griffin he never looked incumbered in any way for the 16 games he played and was and suffered one of the worst tackle inflicted injuries that would have smashed a fully stable knee, so I didn't see him as a 'risky' signing. I'm also glad he's been offered a P/T training gig as a wrestling coach for us - the effort and time he put into his rehab, trying to come back from that horrendous injury, is the sort of inspiration around toughness and dedication that I want to keep around the club in a productive capacity.

I agree on the other 2 though where all Moga did was run, had an innocuous change of direction and blew his knee out again without a hand being laid upon him and Hodko came here with 90 year olds knees before he pulled on a boot for us.

Griff was good for the club, pity he got injured to force retirement, 28y/o still young enough to play another few years, wish him well in retirement, thought I read somewhere that he is now Knights wrestling coach.
Not having any luck with hookers last few years, hopefully Brailey works out ok.

I had a similar knee injury to Slade's about a month ago. Its definitely not a whole lot of fun limping around on crutches and trying to get range of movement back into the knee. Hope he enjoys life after footy.

I worked with a guy who was a winger for the magpies in the 1970s and when he wanted a day off work he’d just dislocate his knee, which had no lateral ligaments at all anymore. He reckoned he played 2 years of first grade like that. He could just pop it in or out at will.

Still have very high hopes for Moga, he was a beast with confidence at the Bronco's and expect Obi to have him fired up and ready to fend off the youngings - ours and the opposition!

Still have very high hopes for Moga, he was a beast with confidence at the Bronco's and expect Obi to have him fired up and ready to fend off the youngings - ours and the opposition!
Don't get me wrong, I hope Moga re-captures that form and is a world beater for us....I am just reflecting on the differences between him and Griffin on his propensity to be someone who continues to be prone to further problems.

Moga played a full season & Griffin's was a freak accident, but didn't they both have something like 3 or 4 previous ACL injuries? Either way they were retrospectively irresponsible signings unfortunately & I'm pretty sure it's been reported a few times that the club has distanced itself from signing those kinds of players now after being burnt.

If Slade hadn't of got injured I have zero doubt he would have been mentioned as 14 in our top 17 of all time. Very sad. But glad to say it's not another jobs for boys like we used too.

Back