Official: Peter Mata'utia leaving the Knights

Discussion in 'Knights Signings, Rumours & Player Movement' started by Ethan, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Steve Linnane

How does Sione and Buhrer compare size wise, if he is small for second row how is Buhrer, add to that Yates.

2. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Matthew Johns

Burher is a smart footballer, sione is all power... im sorry are we happy with 27tks 6missed and 75m a game from a backrower? Cause no other club fans would be.

To put that into perspective.
    Tariq Sims while at the knights was called a powerpuff yet produced 109m a game and 32tks 1.7 missed.

Ohh and both around the same cost a yr.
    Food for thought

3. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

Yeah Sione & Buhrer are different styles of player. For the style that Sione is, he is small.

4. Frank McWilliams

You take it out of context, not doubting that Buhrer is a cleverer, smarter footballer, comment was too small, size can be overcome by ability to a certain degree, still believe a good big man will beat a good small man in most instances.
    Cost wise doesn't enter into it, can't knock someone for earning more than the are worth, we all want to do that, it's the effort that counts, are they giving us all for the money we pay

5. Ethan

Ethan Clint Newton

Newcastle are making moves to make Sione Mata’utia a Knight for life.

Market Watch can reveal the club is in advanced talks over a new deal despite the backrower not coming off-contract until the end of 2018.The club is poised to table him a three-year extension, which would keep him tied to the Hunter until the end of 2021.
    The Knights’ roster for next season may still be a work in progress but the decision makers are determined to ensure they don’t fall back into a mess like the one they’ve just cleared up.

As part of that plan, it means they are moving to tie up their best and brightest.
    While they’ve added the likes of Kalyn Ponga, Aidan Guerra and Connor Watson to their roster, Nathan Brown and Darren Mooney haven’t lost sight of the importance of keeping their local talent.

As their co-captain, Mata’utia is a huge part of the club’s long-term plans.....Well he is going to be playing somewhere her for quite some time .....

Knighted likes this.
  6. Beaumont

Beaumont Paul the Chief Harragon

Muscle checking and manipulation of greyhounds.
    Buhrer is also 6 NRL seasons older than Sione. I wish we were going so good that Sione is our biggest problem. And please the bloke puts more effort into 20m than Tariq the cat put into 109m.

Knighted and Matty23 like this.
  7. 88Knight4life

Thats the point though, Sione has to work twice as hard to make less impact.

8. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

modern burlesque dancer
    Brown, Moone and Gids don't throw away money, maybe I am wrong about Sione #InBrownItrust

9. 88Knight4life

No ur like me mate, we know sione is good though feel he can be better elsewhere in the side.

danknights likes this.
  10. danknights

danknights Clint Newton

It's hard to see sione going places in the pigs. He is a powerful back like will chambers and the like. Has always been and always will be. Trial and errors don't hurt though :p

88Knight4life likes this.
  11. Joey1245

Joey1245 Kade Snowden

W
    Who is bigger sione or bruher? I honestly don't know

12. krustykraz

krustykraz Cory Denniss

Sione is.
    183cm 101kg.
    Bruher 180cm 93kg

13. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

I don't have any real thoughts on where Sione's best position is - he has positives and negatives in all the positions he has been tried in, but is still maybe 3 years off the age when players reach their potential.
    The one thing I would add is that he has been put in our forwards to give them more grunt and impact because we have the youngest and weakest forward rotation in the comp. The forward pack has to be 8 or 9 players working as a group to win the war of attrition against the 8 or 9 opposition forwards, and when you judge any of our forwards over the last two years, you have to take into account that they are part of a small and weak group that gets monstered every week.
    In other words, if you dropped Sione into Cronulla's pack, his numbers would be much more impressive, because he would be running at tired and demoralised forwards, instead of being one.
    Looking at his numbers, or the numbers of any of our forwards, in isolation gives a picture that they, as individuals, don't match up to a guy like say Eseese, who gets to play with a very strong pack around him, but once we put together a much stronger pack next year, we'll see the numbers of guys like Dan, Sione, Jake and Barnett will also increase, as they become part of a pack that is getting over the top of oppositions for a change.
    People bring up young kids who have better numbers than our young kids, but most of them are playing as the junior members of great packs, and all our young kids, like Sione, are trying to be a pack leader of a bunch of kids.

ben and Knighted like this.
  14. 88Knight4life

Profiles say that.

Them standing side by side, Burher is taller but sione seems thicker in the chest.
    If Sione became a smarter player like Burher he will be ok...
    I personally cant see it in him though, he loves the contact because he was the damaging runner as a junior where he could run like he does now but over players.
    As ive said, i dont want him out of the side... i just think his best footy future is wing/centre where his power running could be more effective for him and the team.

Frank McWilliams likes this.
  15. nunnsy

nunnsy Steve Fulmer

I agree with this for sure although Dan already has better numbers than esse and in my opinion is a better player.

16. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

From Fox Sports

The club has offered Mata’utia a one-year-deal but it’s understood he’s not pleased with the offer or the club’s lack of urgency to sign him.

Super League remains his most likely destination with St Helens keen to get the centre to the UK on a lengthy deal.

But not all hope should be lost of keeping Mata’utia with his brother and young family grounded in Newcastle. It’s understood he’s torn on what decision to make.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...r/news-story/b141b5254b13d6e73996670fe100000d

17. Frank McWilliams

Don't know the pay rate but if St Helens are offering him a long term deal and the money is acceptable he should take it. I would like him to stay but he is at the age were his long term contracts are in the balance, careers are short and opportunities for fringe players limited in Aust.

18. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

How good is it that we're low balling somebody. If Hagan was still on board he'd of doubled what Pete wanted just because he's a local.

19. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Has confirmed he is leaving. Only 12 more months of Pat and Chanel too.

20. krustykraz

krustykraz Cory Denniss

It will be interesting to see if they buy a replacement or bring Meaney, Phyphian or Hughes into the backline.