Official: Peter Mata'utia leaving the Knights

Ethan

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
Skd and Moga May Push Peter Matautia out .........On Fox Sports ........Peter Mata’utia remains hopeful he can strike a deal with Newcastle but interest from overseas is intensifying.

Market Watch can reveal St Helens have offered Mata’utia a two-year-deal with talks of a third season.

The Knights, however, are only willing to offer him a one-year contract
The arrival of Shaun Kenny-Dowall and impending move of Tautau Moga and Kalyn Ponga has impacted on the length of deal the Knights are willing to offer Mata’utia.

With two kids and a fiancee to consider, Mata’utia has the opportunity to secure his future without the stress of playing for a deal weighing on him.

Having returned to the club where he made his NRL debut and his brothers also play for, the centre said his preference is to remain at the Knights, backing Nathan Brown’s long-term plan for the club.

“I want to stay. I like what Browny is doing,” Mata’utia told Market Watch.
“It would be nice to stay long-term. I know the plan Browny has and it’s a good plan. I want to be a part of it. I feel like where I’m at in my career, I can help these young kids come through and I love the club.

“All options are out there. My manager has been talking to a few clubs. We’ll sit down and talk about it.”

Pete stop acting like your a clubman, you've packed your bags and if you do so again all the best.

None of the lads stayed out of loyalty it was all for the big bucks.

Would honestly be stoked if we could ship the lot of them off.

Nice boys, but either they don't have it or are overpaid by $350k.

They are very family orientated and I think Pete will stay for less to be around family. The club know that, and his offer probably reflects that too.

Gagai gone, Moga in his place, if Pete goes and we don't sign a quality centre who plays.
Is one year offer I wonder to bring all four Mats into line contract wise or are we hedging our bets on getting someone else and can let Pete go.
I would like to think we keep him even as a reserve grade centre back up for firsts.
Sure we could play Elliott, Gagan or Dennis but not as good as Pete

Pete has been a great stop gap player in some of our hardest hours as a club.... i personally think he deserves a 2yr deal around 500k or let him go earn some coin why he can in the SL.

Really mate? Like I always say if his not getting interest from elsewhere why pay more than we have to? $250k for 2 years take it or leave it.

Really mate? Like I always say if his not getting interest from elsewhere why pay more than we have to? $250k for 2 years take it or leave it.

500k over 2yrs is below average for a nrl back today... his also been one of our most consistent and best performers this yr.

His also getting offers elsewhere so the option is on him.
I think its a bit unfair to only offer him 1yr after the effort his done for us the past 12mths in a highly unsuccessful team.

500k over 2yrs is below average for a nrl back today... his also been one of our most consistent and best performers this yr.

His also getting offers elsewhere so the option is on him.
I think its a bit unfair to only offer him 1yr after the effort his done for us the past 12mths in a highly unsuccessful team.

Well mate to be honest his a below average NRL back, there's a reason he had to come to us to get a regular start.

If his getting offers elsewhere I wish him all the best, his put in for us, but Elliot would do a better job and for half the coin.

Not me bucko. For mine Pete is a run up out of the line defender leaving a huge gap.

Dragons could have kept him.

To bring the world crashing down on me, all brothers can leave if they get offers. Sione is not a forward, Chanel always injured and whilst Billy reports Pat doing okay in reggies, too many brain farts.

As you know 88, there are half a dozen brilliant wingers in the NRL younger than Sione, faster and much more athletic.

Last edited:
Has Pete been a better performed player then Gagai this yr? Of has he at least been half as good as him? Cause gags is on 550k here and was offered 650k to stay :shrug:

Back