Official: Mickey Paea off to England

rhugh89

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
Mickey says he is definitely going

Newcastle veteran Mickey Paea will return to England at the end of the year.

The 31-year-old confirmed he’s on the verge of signing what will be his last deal, likely with Hull FC, which means he’ll finish his professional career overseas.

“I’m trying to sort something. I’m definitely going to the UK,” Paea told Private Ryan.

“I have to narrow my options down now and get it sorted. I’ll know more over the next few days and then I can just focus on doing my job for the Knights.”

The Tongan international made his NRL debut for the Roosters in 2005 and enjoyed stints with the Dragons, Bulldogs and now Knights.

He also spent two seasons in the Super League with Hull KR and Hull FC.

With his career coming to a close, Paea admits it’s a goal of his to run out for Tonga at the World Cup at the end of the year.

“It’s in the back of the mind,” he said.

“If I’m needed I’d like to play for Tonga again. I have in the past and I know how good those camps are. I can see a lot of good young kids coming through who are quality players.

“If I’m required, I’d take it with two hands.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/a39294cf716bf63d912427b2536edf5f

Should've played more footy the last 2 years. If Browny was happy to play guys like Wardle and Starling who will likely not be here next year than he should've played Paea

Should've played more footy the last 2 years. If Browny was happy to play guys like Wardle and Starling who will likely not be here next year than he should've played Paea
Brown played the inexperience card for almost 2 years yet Paea whilst no World beater hardly got a run in firsts. Must have shat in Brownie's letterbox.

Farewell Mickey Paea

Thu 14th September, 04:39PM

The Club farewells Mickey Paea, who had his first year with the nib Newcastle Knights in 2016.

Paea has played 76 NRL games, 20 of those were for the Knights as he was called on to add experience to a young forward pack.

It all began in 2005 for the 31-year-old, who made his NRL debut for the Sydney Roosters.

Paea also played for the St George Illawarra Dragons and Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs before moving to England to play for Hull KR and Hull FC and then returning to Australia to put on the red and blue.

Paea is returning to England to play for Hull FC in what will be his second spell for the black and whites.

Knights TV spoke to Paea’s teammates and coach about what they admired and appreciated most about Mickey.

Nathan Brown:

He’s a role model for not only the Polynesian boys but all the boys.

You can see the impression Mickey has left at Hull, he’s 31 and they’ve asked him to come back for two more years.

Nathan Ross:

He cares about his fellow teammates not just on the paddock but away from the field.

He has been a very good leader, especially for the Polynesian boys and showing them what it takes to be a first class first grader.

Peter Mata’utia:

He is a pretty funny character, he loves to sing and have a joke so he is good to have around.

Jacob Saifiti:

He’s so friendly, any questions about footy or life, I’m not hesitant to go up and ask him.

You always get a good vibe off Mickey, he’s always smiling and singing and it brushes off on you.

Trent Hodkinson:

He puts the team first, he is a very genuine person off the field and he really cares about you as a person.

It has been a pleasure to play alongside Mickey at two clubs.

Anthony Tupou:

He is a beautiful person, he has got so much time and patience with everyone.

To stay in the game for so long and to still be going, it just shows what he is made of.

The Final Word - Mickey Paea:

Whilst it has been a couple of tough years here, the fans just show up in numbers.

Moving forward, there is only good to come at this Club and we’re yet to see the best of these young kids coming through.

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2017/09/14/farewell_mickey_paea.af_news.html

Back