Official: Lachlan Fitzgibbon re-signs with the Knights

Discussion in 'Knights Signings, Rumours & Player Movement' started by rhugh89, Aug 9, 2017.

1. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

KNIGHTS DEAL LOOMING

Newcastle backrower Lachlan Fitzgibbon is expected to become the next junior to re-sign.

The 23 year-old is expected to ink a new deal in the coming weeks, although a term is yet to be settled.

It’s understood the Knights are keen on a 12-month extension but his management are pushing for a longer term.

Fitzgibbon made his NRL debut with the club in 2015.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...h/news-story/2bef922351bba80355603e0d88e6cbf0

Tasgirl likes this.
  2. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    He deserves a longer deal.

Lefty likes this.
  3. Joey1245

Joey1245 Kade Snowden

Agree I'd give him 3 years

4. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Steve Linnane

Happy to see him signed, cost and length matter but at least get him on the books. Don't want to start giving fringe players long contracts as we will be upgrading our squad each season, I would settle for 2 years, gives him and club chance to show direction. At very least he will be strong back up.

5. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Matthew Johns

No way,

His coming good yes... though his still only had a handful of good games.

Offering fringe players 3yr deals would end in a devastating way cap wise

6. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Brown says he has improvement in him, but I don't think he has a lot of improvement, just enough to be an ordinary firstgrader I think.
    Tyrone Amey, Pasami Saulo and Matt Croker have a lot more potential.

7. Chief Longhorn

Chief Longhorn Darren Meredith

He has definitely improved more than I ever thought he would and I am optimistic he has a future! I am yet to be convinced he is mentally strong enough to be consistently good week in week out in 1st grade though???? I hope I am wrong, but by giving him another 12 months we will definitely know one way or the other.:shrug:

slotmachine likes this.
  8. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Very much in favour of 12 months.

Love that Brown and Mooney are playing hardball with re-signing the fringe local guys. Yates management also not happy with what he's been offered.

9. Tubby

Tubby Willie Mason

They're fringe players in the worst team in modern history, i think the Club knows they don't exactly have other offers floating around

88Knight4life and slotmachine like this.
  10. Simon Templar

Simon Templar Scott Carter

Project Manager
    Tubby possibly on the money with these comments , although from what I have seen he has potential and with a decent structure around him him may go to the next level.

For the Clubs sake they should look at a 12 x 12 option , at least Knights retain the right to assess his development over at least the first half on the season and if he shows polish re sign him before the "circling vultures" have the chance , with a 12 month contract players tend to get jittery around the 6 month mark and play the market trying to secure a better future.

Tasgirl likes this.
  11. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Fitz could almost certainly earn more money if he quit football and went into the building trade.
    All the players say that money isn't their main motivation, and 95% of them are full of crap, but Fitz is actually in the position where playing footy, probably for Newcastle, is something he is doing for personal reasons, and it's holding back his real career.

On the other hand, his father is the most cluey businessman in Newcastle, and also happens to be our major sponser, so good luck trying to play hardball with the guy holding all the aces.

12. R_A

R_A Todd Bates

Uni Student, Investor, Entrepreneur
    I'm a fan of what Fitzgibbon's offered this year and his development but these bad contracts by Bennett and Stone are what got the Knights in a pickle in the first place. Might be lowballing but I'd like to think he's earned that extension and should have no issue earning another one if he keeps it up.

13. rhugh89

rhugh89 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Contract talks continue for in-form Fitzgibbon

Wed 16 Aug, 2017, 7:30am
    By Chris Kennedy, National Correspondent‌‌, ‌‌‌NRL.com

Boom back-rower Lachlan Fitzgibbon is one of Newcastle's most-improved players this year, nailing a big-minute starting role and scoring tries in two of their recent three straight wins but remains unsigned for next year despite ongoing contract negotiations.

‌Publicly coach Nathan Brown has made assurances the club would like to keep the powerful second-rower.

Fitzgibbon told NRL.com he was still in talks and keen to stay though he also was under no illusions that with the likes of Aidan Guerra and Herman Ese'ese inbound next year that opportunities may again be tougher to come by.

"I haven't [signed anywhere] yet; I'm in talks at the moment," Fitzgibbon said.

"I think next year we're bringing in some good recruits and it's going to make my position – I'll have to fight even harder to hopefully maintain that position."

There is certainly some appeal to staying with the club and a group of local juniors all on an upward curve at the same time. Not the least of those is half Brock Lamb, who has been a star over the past three wins and played some junior footy with Fitzgibbon despite the age difference.

"If I get the opportunity to play alongside Lamby long term, I'm sure Lamby's going to be a great player and I'd love to be around him playing."

Fitzgibbon has been the beneficiary of some of Lamb's creativity in a few of his tries this year – including against the Eels – with the pair forming a dangerous right-edge partnership.

"Myself and Lamby, we played 20s together," Fitzgibbon said.

"We played on the same edge but on the left edge in 20s and he's moved over to the right, I've moved over to the right and we've got a good understanding. I know how he plays his footy and I think he's getting an understanding of how I play my footy and hopefully we can build a good combo over time."

Lamb himself had some strong words of praise.

"He's come a long way, Fitzy, he's a good player," Lamb told NRL.com.

"He reminds me of Steve Simpson. He just rips in and doesn't back down from anything. A couple of years ago he probably wasn't like that but geez he's an asset to this team."

The 23-year-old South Newcastle junior has been afford the chance to develop slightly later than some of his extremely youthful teammates, Lamb included; he made his debut off the bench in a one-off game in 2015 before adding five more bench appearances last year.

It is paying dividends this year; eight of his 11 games this year have come in the run-on side and include five of his six career tries and five 80-minute stints with a sturdy 27 tackle busts in his 11 games to go with the five four-pointers.

He was one of the best on ground – behind Lamb – in the Knights' last-start 29-10 win over the Eels (the club's first away win in two years) and afterwards told NRL.com he was enjoying the extra responsibility of late.

"The first 10 to 15 games playing NRL is a learning curve but I'm over that hurdle at the moment," Fitzgibbon said.

"I'm getting used to playing NRL week in week out and it's paying dividends for my confidence and the way we're playing footy.

"Once I got an opportunity to play in the [starting] back row I grabbed it with both hands and off the back of the boys playing well I've had some opportunities."

While Fitzgibbon was noncommittal on his own immediate future, he was effusive about that of the club.

"I've grown up playing with the Knights and supporting the Knights through tough times and I think we're on an upward climb right now," he said.

"We've got a few young boys showing their class at the moment and over the next few years they'll only get bigger and better. I came through the 18s and 20s system playing with a lot of these boys and to be playing with them at NRL level is unreal."

The mood around the playing group is positive now, he added, but it has been that way all year.

"We haven't lost confidence all year. I'm not too sure how many games it is now we've gone in leading at half time, it's just the closing out of the games that we struggled with and over the last six or so weeks we've managed to learn from the second half losses.

"I think we're building off the back end of this year into next year hopefully."

http://www.nrl.com/contract-talks-c...gibbon/tabid/10874/newsid/111084/default.aspx

14. mullenmagic

mullenmagic Shane O'Grady

I've heard whispers that Fitzy may be off to the Bunnies.

15. Tasgirl

Tasgirl Tasgirl

Hippie.

Oh god..... I hope not, I feel that he's improving and am hoping he stays.

16. Wobbles

Wobbles Glen Miller

From a reliable source?

17. Joel

Joel Touche...

I hope we see him and Lamb be able to continue their partnership at some point in 2018, when they're attacking in the opposition half they are like bread and butter, you can just tell they understand each others game so well. Our depth will be some serious business with this year or two under their belt, next year there will be no room for passengers.

18. mullenmagic

mullenmagic Shane O'Grady

Somewhat. I wouldn't put my house on it, but I've heard it from a couple of different people. From what I've been told his preference is to stay but Rabbits are offering 2-3 years and Knights are only willing to offer 1 at this stage.

19. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Matthew Johns

Honestly if i was fitsy id take the Souths offer if it is 3yrs.

I think 1yr with 1yr in our favor should be offered to him tho from us.
    But seems it wont happen atm.

20. Wobbles

Wobbles Glen Miller

Guess we'll have to wait and see, I'd like to see him stay based on the improvement and consistency shown in his last few matches.

With another year of development under his belt and motivated by fresh competition a longer and upgraded contract offer should be a no-brainer.